The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To What Extent are Old Sales Books Still Relevant Today

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I am on a shopping spree for sales books and decided to fill-up my basket with some of the oldies from the 1990s. The question is pretty simple: to what extent do you guys think sales books written in the 1980-90s are still relevant today?

IMO although technology advancement has significantly changed the way we make deals, looking from a biological and psychological perspectives it's reasonable to assume that some of the oldies are still significantly relevant today.

What would you say?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Considering some of the top salesman on Wall St / Real Estate were raised/taught in the era of the books you mention - think the principles remain.

Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sales

Big ticket sales (company's, apartments/houses, large contracts, big deals) will be done in person for a while (in my opinion).

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
THE FELDMAN METHOD is a great book that is out of print and is easily applicable to all things sales. a hidden gem of a book published in 1989 i believe

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
To the extent that the market adapts to sales patterns.

Arbitrage opportunities arise when people rush to the next shiny object. When a vacuum is created.

Example:

When everyone rushed to online marketing in 2013, traditional media collapsed. Billboards, newspapers, TV spots....

All of a sudden, you see old money being oblivious to the shift.

How do you reach them?

They're not online at this time.

Wait a minute...sending them a sales packet, giving them a phone call? What is that? How do you do that?

While everyone else is ranking their website on Google, creating their drip campaigns, etc., you literally have millions of SMBs who no one is paying attention to.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Thanks guys, great points!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
A great deal of marketing/sales technique and theory is based on human psychology. And while we are evolving, I'd say that good books written in the 80's would still be useful today.

Information IS power. Go for it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Wait a minute...sending them a sales packet, giving them a phone call? What is that? How do you do that?

While everyone else is ranking their website on Google, creating their drip campaigns, etc., you literally have millions of SMBs who no one is paying attention to.
I have to agree. Things keep changing year to year. I have to laugh every time I'm emailed with seminars and workshops my business school keeps sending me is always a year behind of what I learn myself. I believe it's good to have the knowledge, but the rules change constantly.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
They're completely relevant. Human psychology hasn't changed in thousands of years. There were some fantastic sales books from the 1960's and even earlier. Don't limit yourself to only recent books.
Some of the most amazing books I know on business are almost 100 years old.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
To the extent that the market adapts to sales patterns.

Arbitrage opportunities arise when people rush to the next shiny object. When a vacuum is created.

Example:

When everyone rushed to online marketing in 2013, traditional media collapsed. Billboards, newspapers, TV spots....

All of a sudden, you see old money being oblivious to the shift.

How do you reach them?

They're not online at this time.

In addition, I've often thought that the generations that are being raised and taking their place in the world right now may be a good audience for older advertising methods.

I remember being younger and my mom receiving tons of sales packets, advertisements, etc. She would just dump it all in the trash because it was "Junk mail." You see so much of it, you start to tune it all out.

As more people use 'new media' to reach their customers (email, Facebook, etc) people will start to tune that out as well. A lot of us already have.

But, you see less physical mail advertisements now. There's less noise. Generations that are moving out on their own and starting their lives may be more inclined to actually review their mail, and not toss the majority of it in the trash.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Some of the most amazing books I know on business are almost 100 years old.

books on success from the early 20 th century are amazing .

i can feel that the authors have a powerful mental attitude like they are human rocks against adversity

just go here :

http://www.iapsop.com/ssoc/

the old books you will find are amazing . this is unbelievable

for example read that :

http://www.iapsop.com/ssoc/1908__atkinson___the_secret_of_success.pdf

read and take a slap in your face as the author coaches your life.

Last edited:

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
In my experience of sales. You are much better studying psychology. Learning what motivates different people and how to find that motivation. How to impulse them, matching and mirroring (NLP Technique) and body language.

However sales books can be good for framing certain techniques.
Like impulse factors for example.
1. Jones Effect - keeping up with the jones. You're competitor just did this, however you can do it too, or be better than them.
2.Fear of loss - You can get it today for 100. Limited stock etc.
3.Buzz words - Save 100, Huge Discounts, Sale, BOGOF
4. Indifference - Only you lose out if you don't buy this (To be used as an advanced skill)

Learning Buying and non buying signs

Also things like the closing loop, what exactly to match and mirror. Most people assume that just means body language but it does mean excitement levels too. Also matching the vocabulary they use. Then when you are in rapport you can manipulate and influence their behaviour.

Many may disagree, but I believe if you have the things I have mentioned nailed, you are better than 80% of salespeople.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
In my experience of sales. You are much better studying psychology. .

yes

the best " inner game skill " is matering ourself

the best " outer game skill " is mastering others

relationship, money, power : all this things are the results of mastering others in an ethical way for their best interest and ours.

1) money will give us relationship ( at least sex ) and power

2) power will give us money and relationship ( at least courtiers )

3) relationship will give us money and power ( at least followers)

they are connected

so if we had to choose just 2 things to master in life, this would be : mastering the self and mastering others.

so i am reading books for both things

for example :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1604590874/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

by the way, most people ignore this kind of books

they are not interested in lifetimes of wisdom for 15 bucks !!

benny hill.jpg

so smart people like me read those books in order to master the morons who ignore those books.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Let's simplify things:
1) money will give us relationship ( at least sex ) and power

2) power will give us money and relationship ( at least courtiers )
Sex is about power.

How you achieve this power is up to you.

I can dress like I'm a poorest person on earth and it won't affect my relationships with women.

Same applies to selling, marketing and everything else.
Power is not in attributes.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
AMEN.

My target market doesn't even read emails regularly.

Helping people is not as sexy as driving traffic I guess.

The question is pretty simple: to what extent do you guys think sales books written in the 1980-90s are still relevant today?
Principles never change.

Everything new is based on "old" principles.

Just look at copy writing - most classics are old, but gold.

Yratill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 15, 2016
Selling strategy is a masterwork that comes to understanding how a company's sales strategy--and the execution of it strategy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.