The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time managment

Anything related to matters of the mind

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Hey people, I didn't log in too often bcos im working at my fastlane plan.
I just wanted to ask you people about time managment, iv read that article about 10,000 hours to be the best:
How To Be The Best Entrepreneur In The World | TechCrunch
And have problems with time managment and my day looks like:
  • 8 hours slowlane (its good slowlane bcos its part of my learning the industry - game making industry im learning 3d software and game engines)
  • Time after work is eating dinner and learning for college, making nothing, or spending time with my lovely girl.
I need to more manage time bcos im not going anywhere - how to build fastlane and still be in good relationship with great future wife?

Its hard for me bcos if i want to be good in something its should be 8 hours of hard work every day to work with this.
Recently I was reading about productivity and after 3 hours of hard learning brain just stops learning, its just tired and all work after this is just a waste of time(maybe make tea and learn something else?).

How much time did you spend with your family and how much on fastlane and how its working?

Is it two hours every day on fastlane will be good in your opinion? How people who are succesfull manage time and balance between life, girl and fastlane plan? Is it doable?

I dont want to be "no life" person, and I don't want to work in ordinary slowlane all life, can you write your time managment plan and how its working for you? Im asking people who have wifes or girlfriends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
It is difficult for me to respond to your post. I don't speak text. Your grammar and spelling don't have to be perfect but you could expend a little effort if you would like others to do likewise. Good luck.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
It is difficult for me to respond to your post. I don't speak text. Your grammar and spelling don't have to be perfect but you could expend a little effort if you would like others to do likewise. Good luck.
iv changed it a little is it better now?

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Depends, is college putting you in debt or are you going for free?

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Depends, is college putting you in debt or are you going for free?
I worked in Dublin for a year on construction site, so i have money for all my college years.
So no debt, its private college so I pay alot of money anyways
Im finishing it soon (two semesters left)
I have college on 2 weekends of a month [so two weekends free and two for college (friday,saturday,sunday)]

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
iv changed it a little is it better now?

Somewhat. Not a fan of "bcos". :)

It's about seasons in life and priorities. I am much older than you and my kid is almost your age. (Different season of life from me to you).

I worked in factories for 50+ hours a week for 20 years to provide for my family. Some of those hours were in crappy evening shift where I could not see my family until the weekend. It was driving me insane.

Several years ago I changed professions and that helped tremendously. No more crappy shifts and reasonable hours. It worked well until I had a bad year. Then I realized I had nothing.

Following that I developed my business to serve me not the other way around. I did not care how busy I got in business I never missed anything my daughter did. I helped her learn to ride a bike, do multiplication, and learn science. I carried her to music lessons, scouting colleges, move in day on campus, choosing an apartment, and coaching her while she was finding a first job. I also made time for my wife. Sometimes she would come see me at the job site and we would sit and talk. Sometimes she helps me get things ready when a project is near completion. Right now she is helping me keep up with the business spreadsheets.

Yes there were and are 20 hour work days occasionally. I do not allow them to come between me and my family. The business is to serve us.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Somewhat. Not a fan of "bcos". :)

It's about seasons in life and priorities. I am much older than you and my kid is almost your age. (Different season of life from me to you).

I worked in factories for 50+ hours a week for 20 years to provide for my family. Some of those hours were in crappy evening shift where I could not see my family until the weekend. It was driving me insane.

Several years ago I changed professions and that helped tremendously. No more crappy shifts and reasonable hours. It worked well until I had a bad year. Then I realized I had nothing.

Following that I developed my business to serve me not the other way around. I did not care how busy I got in business I never missed anything my daughter did. I helped her learn to ride a bike, do multiplication, and learn science. I carried her to music lessons, scouting colleges, move in day on campus, choosing an apartment, and coaching her while she was finding a first job. I also made time for my wife. Sometimes she would come see me at the job site and we would sit and talk. Sometimes she helps me get things ready when a project is near completion. Right now she is helping me keep up with the business spreadsheets.

Yes there were and are 20 hour work days occasionally. I do not allow them to come between me and my family. The business is to serve us.

Sorry for that shortcuts i just always made errors with because (i was writing many times beacuse or something) Iv learned this shortcut and i know its bad :) I will try to write properly so more people will unerstand me :) thanks for constructive kick in the a$$, I was also writing too quick bcos of late hour here in my location.

I also had bad job and changed it even people were saying its impossible to get hired without experience into game industry (my last job was helpdesk hosting admin and its frustrating job - never again :D) now im on test for 3 months in gaming industry company that are making games for IOS.

I understand that seasons, and I would like to ask how often do you have and had 20h work days?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Those long work days are maybe once a month. They certainly are not the norm. Maybe due to an emergency or maybe due to a project nearing completion. As I have been in business more, I learn to prevent or avoid those marathon days as much as possible.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
If you are serious about your fastlane plan and serious about your girl, both of them are going to have to get along :chatter:

If that works, I think it's about priorities, efficiency and focus.

Work all the time you work, spend quality while you are not working.

It didn't work out well for me and my ex. In addition to the fact we weren't made out for each other in the long run, she wasn't right for my fastlane plans and couldn't understand the concept of quality vs quantity in time spent together.

If you want great results you need to put in a lot of work in it, no other way.
I assume it works the best if both partners are ambitious and hard working..this way its not like one is sitting around waiting for the other all day.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Im actually trying to find some gold method to manage time, I need to learn much to make my own game up and running:
-Learn modeling better
-Learn rigging (bones in objects)
-Learn better to animate models
-Learn how to put that models and animations to game engine and build a game levels
-Learn about AI (Artificial intelligence)
-and it should be 4 years to be the best as possible in this while working after work for about 8h, but what about social life, girl, health(gym?) fun?

Im trying to figure out how to make things quicker from to-do list and still be in good health condition and have a life with a girl.
I was thinking about working at night or maybe just 4 hours from 20:00 to 00:00?
Is it good idea? or maybe one day after work provide fastlane project and one day off (girl,gym etc.) and so on.
How to be productive at fastlane to make its best?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If you want great results you need to put in a lot of work in it, no other way.

I like it.

One thing I have found though, business is not always on a linear, skyrocket growth plan. Instead, from my experience, the business grows then the workers have to adapt to the new level of business so the growth settles for a while, then the business is ready to grow again.

For me, when it's time to grow is when I put in the most time/labor. When we are on cruise to manage the business the time/labor is not as intense.

Your mileage may vary.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
I dont want to be "no life" person.

Entrepreneurship may not be for those with this expectation. Bluntly you need to want it more than Anything else. And from time to time, for a season or for many years this burning desire may require tremendous sacrifices of time and energy.

klix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 20, 2011
Entrepreneurship may not be for those with this expectation. Bluntly you need to want it more than Anything else. And from time to time, for a season or for many years this burning desire may require tremendous sacrifices of time and energy.

Exactly.
Work like no one else now so you can live like no one else tomorrow.

I don't consider working on your business having "no life" - in fact it is the opposite, you are WORKING on your life, building it, not throwing it away.

Do you mean "not as much enjoyment as I want"? Well yes, you won't get as much free time as you want, but let me give you an example from the book. Remember the section where there are two brothers, one comes back from work tired and watches football with a beer. The other brother comes home tired and reads stuff online to improve his engineering ability and creates an invention that he sells for millions.

You should consider setting one day of rest per week where you don't do work, and do whatever you want but the other 6 you work on whatever you're perusing whenever you can. Your girlfriend should understand (if she doesn't, it's her or a better life for yourself).

Maybe you're not that dedicated, so here is another way where you can still feel you are getting stuff done:

You set weekly goals and then daily goals.
Every Sunday night, set what you want done that week. Then, every night set what you want done tomorrow.
When you finish writing your daily list, and fall asleep it is officially set. You are not allowed to change it the next day (however you are allowed to change weekly goals). Check off tasks whenever you finish them. When you finish your daily goals, you are free to do whatever you want.
Make sure the tasks have a set done time. Don't write "read book". Write "read book for 20 mins" or "read book for 20 pages". Don't write "study for test", write "study for 30 mins".

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Exactly.
Work like no one else now so you can live like no one else tomorrow.

I don't consider working on your business having "no life" - in fact it is the opposite, you are WORKING on your life, building it, not throwing it away.

Do you mean "not as much enjoyment as I want"? Well yes, you won't get as much free time as you want, but let me give you an example from the book. Remember the section where there are two brothers, one comes back from work tired and watches football with a beer. The other brother comes home tired and reads stuff online to improve his engineering ability and creates an invention that he sells for millions.

You should consider setting one day of rest per week where you don't do work, and do whatever you want but the other 6 you work on whatever you're perusing whenever you can. Your girlfriend should understand (if she doesn't, it's her or a better life for yourself).

Maybe you're not that dedicated, so here is another way where you can still feel you are getting stuff done:

You set weekly goals and then daily goals.
Every Sunday night, set what you want done that week. Then, every night set what you want done tomorrow.
When you finish writing your daily list, and fall asleep it is officially set. You are not allowed to change it the next day (however you are allowed to change weekly goals). Check off tasks whenever you finish them. When you finish your daily goals, you are free to do whatever you want.
Make sure the tasks have a set done time. Don't write "read book". Write "read book for 20 mins" or "read book for 20 pages". Don't write "study for test", write "study for 30 mins".

Thank you for that to-do example, i was doing only long term goals like read a book, your way show me how to cut it on pieces and make it working.
Thank you its the answer I was looking for.

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
My example is to balance out everything. I read MJs book and stumbled over chapter 24 under "WADM" Weighted Average Decision Matrix". I use it to fit my schedule/time management. So the results was similar to my normal daily routine (A balance lifestyle). Maybe can give that a go and see if the results will balance for you.

Best of luck ;)

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
My example is to balance out everything. I read MJs book and stumbled over chapter 24 under "WADM" Weighted Average Decision Matrix". I use it to fit my schedule/time management. So the results was similar to my normal daily routine (A balance lifestyle). Maybe can give that a go and see if the results will balance for you.

Best of luck ;)

In my opinion WADM is for bigger questions like go to another city, or some bigger deals, I will provide klix advice im fully happy with his example :)

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
LOL, working in the game industry + a fastlane project of your own ,... good luck!

I have just quit my job as a games designer (Senior Designer of 8 years) a few months back, and 2 months in to my fastlane project, I still have ALOT to do.

I know what its like working in the game industry, It's not 8 hours, its 8 hours PAID work + overtime + commuting + lunch + friday night beer time complaining about work with your buddies. Throw in some gym, a girl and YOU time and theres not alot left for sleep, let alone another project of your own.

I tried for 6 months to work + do my own thing, stay fit and keep a relationship while working in the game industry, and i honestly hope your having better luck than i did. I LOVED my job, but, just no money in it and a HUGE time sink.

If i were you (and i was :p) i would save up some cash, take a break from the game industry and focus on your project for a year or so :) you won't regret it

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
LOL, working in the game industry + a fastlane project of your own ,... good luck!

I have just quit my job as a games designer (Senior Designer of 8 years) a few months back, and 2 months in to my fastlane project, I still have ALOT to do.

I know what its like working in the game industry, It's not 8 hours, its 8 hours PAID work + overtime + commuting + lunch + friday night beer time complaining about work with your buddies. Throw in some gym, a girl and YOU time and theres not alot left for sleep, let alone another project of your own.

I tried for 6 months to work + do my own thing, stay fit and keep a relationship while working in the game industry, and i honestly hope your having better luck than i did. I LOVED my job, but, just no money in it and a HUGE time sink.

If i were you (and i was :p) i would save up some cash, take a break from the game industry and focus on your project for a year or so :) you won't regret it

'+ friday night beer time complaining about work with your buddies' - Im not going on beer no time for complaining bcos they wont motivate me, instead they will poison my attitude!!!

I cant save up cash Im in Poland :) its impossible here :) and salaries are too low

(my oportunity would be get experience here, fly to candadian EA games or whatever and then save up money)

But at the moment im here learning, my plan is blender+ udk or unity and make something.
If you provide knowledge for me, i can work for you for free at your project, I need to learn!!!

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
ah, so your actually making a game?

would be very interested to hear what you have planned, purely out of interest. I have a similar backup idea should my social network fall through :)

Although i cannot promise much of my time, I do have 11 years UDK exp here from Unreal Ed1.0 through to the current 3.0 :) so if you have any questions or run into any problems you can't seem to find answers to, give us a shout via pm and i should be able to point you in the right direction. I'm also extremely knowledgeable of kismet and matinee + have the usual exp of 3d/2d software. just a shout away if you need anything quick.

Chris

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
I understand - time is the biggest value.

I wanted to start making game in UDK so its great to hear that, I was learning basics of UDK, then I got hired as animator in industry, im using blender all the time, modeling rigging animating...
My plan is to make simple IOS game shooting zombies in some swamps enviroment, something similar to resident 2 but without puzzles, simple shooter, nice graphics and shooting zombies, climate borrow from movie zombieland :) mostly...
But i need to learn more, i can do it but i want to make just couple more advenced tutorials to feel better.
I was thinking that if you are running or want to run some other gaming project I could jump in and make some enviroment or some background creatures or animate it in blender...
Learn UDK would be nice, while working at your UDK project.

I just wanted to get familiar with projects and have mentor like this is shit you can make it better in this way... So if you planning any game i can help.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Little update here:

Im making game with a dream team, no job so fastlane in full time and no haters letting into my mind, so i can tunnel my mind and focus on one thing.

6 hours sleep, using google calendar for daily tasks and team box for team tasks, 18h of work + gym

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.