The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

thoughts on automation?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
We are in the process of automating certain features on our site and I am stumped by how to link up multiple (different) calendars so they update automatically? Is this even possible?

...Granted, I won't be doing this- Tom from Aptohosting will- if it can be done. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I want to do same thing. I'm assuming it's possible but I don't know how to do it myself. I asked our webguy if he could create a program/spider/bot/whatever it's called to search certain websites for events and have it posted to our master calendar and have it update automatically.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Yes, anything like that is possible. How easy it is to implement depends on the structure of your site and the source of the data that you are using to update your calendars.

For example if your events are being pulled from an xml source, like RSS, then it would be routine to automate a calendar. But even if it is just being scraped from another site, it is still not too tough, any decent web developer should be able to handle it.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Good to know! I think we have the calendar part figured out, now we need to figure out how to automate our merchant services acct. ...I will make this a new thread.

Thanks again!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Maybe you are looking for microformats that are a simple standard to embed calendar data (or pim data in general) in a machine readable format into your site. (See http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar) There are several Javascript solutions to read and Firefox extensions to even automatically extract this information and export it into calendar applications. Example I recently stumbled upon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4106 and a little explanation how to use it: http://labs.mozilla.com/2006/12/introducing-operator/

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Wow- thanks Always Curious for all the help! I will be reaserching those sites to see if they match what we are trying to do.

++rep for being so helpful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.