The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

WEB/DIGITAL thoughts on automation?

yveskleinsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 26, 2007
We are in the process of automating certain features on our site and I am stumped by how to link up multiple (different) calendars so they update automatically? Is this even possible?

...Granted, I won't be doing this- Tom from Aptohosting will- if it can be done. :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I want to do same thing. I'm assuming it's possible but I don't know how to do it myself. I asked our webguy if he could create a program/spider/bot/whatever it's called to search certain websites for events and have it posted to our master calendar and have it update automatically.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Yes, anything like that is possible. How easy it is to implement depends on the structure of your site and the source of the data that you are using to update your calendars.

For example if your events are being pulled from an xml source, like RSS, then it would be routine to automate a calendar. But even if it is just being scraped from another site, it is still not too tough, any decent web developer should be able to handle it.

OP
OP
yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 26, 2007
Good to know! I think we have the calendar part figured out, now we need to figure out how to automate our merchant services acct. ...I will make this a new thread.

Thanks again!

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Maybe you are looking for microformats that are a simple standard to embed calendar data (or pim data in general) in a machine readable format into your site. (See http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar) There are several Javascript solutions to read and Firefox extensions to even automatically extract this information and export it into calendar applications. Example I recently stumbled upon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4106 and a little explanation how to use it: http://labs.mozilla.com/2006/12/introducing-operator/

OP
OP
yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 26, 2007
Wow- thanks Always Curious for all the help! I will be reaserching those sites to see if they match what we are trying to do.

++rep for being so helpful!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom