The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thinking of using a publisher?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm a hands-on person myself. I hate waiting for other people to do what I want done NOW. And I hate paying other people to do what I can do for myself, although there's a good debate to be had about that. Please don't everyone yell at me at once about abundance vs. lack thinking. I know.

So, I haven't thought about a publisher, other than wondering if one would ever approach me and sharing Chickenhawk's excellent reply (about the fourth post down here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/se...shing-kindle-book-then-finding-publisher.html) with my husband when he urged me to get one. Today, I followed a Goodreads thread link to something I thought would be important for all the indie authors getting their start or a boost from the threads emanating from https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/se...006-hello-denver-self-publishing-success.html.

It's important to read the comments on the blog I'm about to link to. The post is about an author who has had her work and money from sales stolen by an unscrupulous small publisher. In the comments, it becomes clear that this is not an isolated incident. She gives several clues that anyone seeking to work with a small publisher should look out for...I think it's good information. Without further ado, here's the link: When Authors Steal From Authors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Nice post. Basically reinforced the idea that traditional publishing may really be dying, at least for fiction writers. I mean, look at the success stories of indie writers. That would have been impossible before ereaders and Amazon.

That and I seem to be specializing in "flash fiction," which is just another term people are throwing around instead of novellas and novelettes. And traditional publishers don't seem to like those. If I had to crank out 80k words to submit to a publisher, I'm not sure how well I would do at this point. My stories are getting longer, but to get to 80k words would be a bit of an effort.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
My stories are getting longer, but to get to 80k words would be a bit of an effort.

I'm going to start an acronym, because it gets said around here so often. JKW--just keep writing. Three months ago, I could turn out 2000 words per day. Now I can approach that per hour, and even when the writing seems sluggish, I can usually put out an average of 6000+ per day. Granted, I don't have a SlowLane job, or not at present, so I've got hours to write. Just finished a 60,000+ novel I started around August 25th. But in the process, I've decided I'm going to stick to something between 30,000 and 40,000 words in the near future, until I have a catalog of 30+ titles. That's a respectable length for the price-point I want to hit, and an extra 20k to 40k words isn't going to change that. Might as well have two titles out of that 80k words.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to start an acronym, because it gets said around here so often. JKW--just keep writing. Three months ago, I could turn out 2000 words per day. Now I can approach that per hour, and even when the writing seems sluggish, I can usually put out an average of 6000+ per day. Granted, I don't have a SlowLane job, or not at present, so I've got hours to write. Just finished a 60,000+ novel I started around August 25th. But in the process, I've decided I'm going to stick to something between 30,000 and 40,000 words in the near future, until I have a catalog of 30+ titles. That's a respectable length for the price-point I want to hit, and an extra 20k to 40k words isn't going to change that. Might as well have two titles out of that 80k words.

Actually my issue is more structure, not getting words down. My first one was told in 9000 words, then they've gotten progressively longer. I just need to find more to have happen in each story. I think the next book in my sci-fi/thriller series will approach 20k words. Once my work starts hitting 40k, I'll start my third series :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Actually my issue is more structure, not getting words down.

That was part of my issue, too. Then I used the beat sheet that was shared in the first thread with HFR et al, and that helped. Then I got Scrivener, and that helped even more. I'm thinking of trying this snowflake method that you have all been talking about, but I need more detail about how to use it. Any pointers to where I can find it would be most appreciated!

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I just need to find more to have happen in each story.

This is where I'm at now as well, production has basically come to a standstill for me because, while I have main points in the remaining two books I'm working that I already have fleshed out, it's filling in all the gaps with meaningful, engaging content/story that has me ultra stuck. Hoping I can fix this today. Also, just got scrivener and holy crap is it amazing. Guess I should make a mini update on my thread...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.