The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thinking about quitting my job - Looking for advice

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
Hi guys,

I will try to make it short and simple.

I live in a country where I don't speak the language yet. I have no formal education. I am around 30 years old.

I work 9-5 as a technical advisor, it sucks big time.

For the past couple of years I've been building affiliate sites, and nowadays I'm getting around $4500-5000 a month from those sites. Compared to my day job, which is around $1200 a month. Normally people earn around $900-1000 in this country.

For the past 12 months, I have been way over my day job salary every month.

I have two years' salary saved on my bank account. I had much more, but bought a flat and got married a few months ago.

My sites are earning strictly from SEO, nothing else. I try to spread the risk by having several sites earning me money.

I fully understand the risk of SEO, and once I quit my job I will look into other income streams as well. However, by quitting my job it means that I could put in much, much more time into my hustle and earn more and faster. On the other hand, it's a risk - since I live in a foreign country and going back home ain't an option.

In real life I don't know any business people, the people I know are stuck in the same dead-end jobs like me. So I'm looking for advise on here, to see if anyone could give me some input.

Really, I'm thinking that quitting would be the best thing to do. I'm fairly safe, with 2 years of salary, earning 5k each month and it would mean that I could open more businesses and put more time and work into my current sites. But... It's that voice in the back of me head you know, telling me to play it safe.

What do you guys think, based on the little information you have?

Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lobo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 20, 2019
Well you've managed to create $4-5K in monthly income WHILE working at your job so congrats you're doing better than a lot of people already. If you cannot continue to grow that number WHILE working your job, then it might be time to quit.

If you are able to grow more while working the job, then you may want to consider doing that until you feel safe enough to leave the 9-5 (this all depends on your risk tolerance).

Just make sure to not quit your job and then be stagnated at your current level. Whatever choice you make you want to make sure its the choice to move you forward.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi guys,

I live in a country where I don't speak the language yet. I have no formal education. I am around 30 years old.

For the past couple of years I've been building affiliate sites, and nowadays I'm getting around $4500-5000 a month from those sites. Compared to my day job, which is around $1200 a month. Normally people earn around $900-1000 in this country.

I have two years' salary saved on my bank account. I had much more, but bought a flat and got married a few months ago.

My sites are earning strictly from SEO, nothing else. I try to spread the risk by having several sites earning me money.

I fully understand the risk of SEO, and once I quit my job I will look into other income streams as well. However, by quitting my job it means that I could put in much, much more time into my hustle and earn more and faster. On the other hand, it's a risk - since I live in a foreign country and going back home ain't an option.

In real life I don't know any business people, the people I know are stuck in the same dead-end jobs like me. So I'm looking for advise on here, to see if anyone could give me some input.

Really, I'm thinking that quitting would be the best thing to do. I'm fairly safe, with 2 years of salary, earning 5k each month and it would mean that I could open more businesses and put more time and work into my current sites. But... It's that voice in the back of me head you know, telling me to play it safe.

Cheers.
Financially there is no problem given by the numbers you wrote.

Your income is well enough to support at least 7-8 people’s normal expense if a decent wage is 1000 dollar in that place.

But Could you explain the difficult part of living in another country? Do you have visa problem if you quit your job?

Is your wife working too?

What is your monthly mortgage payment?

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
Financially there is no problem given by the numbers you wrote.

Your income is well enough to support at least 7-8 people’s normal expense if a decent wage is 1000 dollar in that place.

But Could you explain the difficult part of living in another country? Do you have visa problem if you quit your job?

Is your wife working too?

What is your monthly mortgage payment?
I mean that the difficult part of living in another country would be that I would have problems finding a job here, since I don't speak the language. My home country and this country are both in Europe, so it's all good on the VISA front.

My wife is working as well, yes. Her salary is around the same as mine.

Mortage, water, electricity etc. is around $500-$600 a month.

Well you've managed to create $4-5K in monthly income WHILE working at your job so congrats you're doing better than a lot of people already. If you cannot continue to grow that number WHILE working your job, then it might be time to quit.

If you are able to grow more while working the job, then you may want to consider doing that until you feel safe enough to leave the 9-5 (this all depends on your risk tolerance).

Just make sure to not quit your job and then be stagnated at your current level. Whatever choice you make you want to make sure its the choice to move you forward.
Thanks for your input.

I'm positive that I could continue growing, but it would mean more expenses and it would take more time.

If I quit I'm sure it would go faster and cost less. Since it would be that I don't have to hire as many people to do the job.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I mean that the difficult part of living in another country would be that I would have problems finding a job here, since I don't speak the language. My home country and this country are both in Europe, so it's all good on the VISA front.

My wife is working as well, yes. Her salary is around the same as mine.

Mortage, water, electricity etc. is around $500-$600 a month.

Thanks for your input.

I'm positive that I could continue growing, but it would mean more expenses and it would take more time.

If I quit I'm sure it would go faster and cost less. Since it would be that I don't have to hire as many people to do the job.
Wife is working and expenditure is limited. Sounds it makes no sense why you should not quit.

Maybe you are just looking for more confirmation to make the decision. Good luck!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Wow, great story. 4.5k-5k a month while working is great. So as @Kevin88660 said financially there is no problem in quitting in your situation. The problem is the big structural change that's a point where a lot of people struggle and then have too much time. But if I were you I'd quit to 100%.
I wouldn't really put that much more time into building affiliate sites as you are doing now. (just try to make sure you earn at least 4k or so)
I would put a lot of time into new income streams. Endless opportunities. How is the real estate market in your country? Or why not teach other people to do the same. You maybe don't know people who are successful in business but you know the people who are stuck. Teach them to build affiliate sites while working?
Or if these people aren't willing to change switch it up and try to make an online course on how to build affiliate sites. Really competitive market but I think it could work.
Wish you all the best and I'd really quit. :)

BarKogan$

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 29, 2020
Hi guys,

Cheers.
Burn the bridge!
In your place I would leave a place that is not good for me, to take something out of your life will make room for something new and better, especially when you have savings and extra income.

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
Thanks for the input guys.

It's extremely tempting, yet scary. Been thinking all day about telling my boss I quit, one seconds it's "yes, do it", next minute it's "no, don't".

Another thing that makes it a little shaky, is the C0VlD-19 stuff. How will it affect my sites and income? Not at all so far, but who knows..

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Another thing that makes it a little shaky, is the C0VlD-19 stuff. How will it affect my sites and income? Not at all so far, but who knows.
True. But you have saved so much. And you’re talented in what you are doing. If your sides get hit by covid you can just do freelancing work on Upwork or so and still earn enough to live.
Your living expenses are so low you don’t have to worry!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I ended up handing in my notice today.

May it be one of my best decisions and not the opposite.

Can't help but thinking "what the f*ck did I just do". :-D

I've never had a job working for someone in my life and I'm 40. You've got everything in place to move forward now. No plan B.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.