The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Wheel of Life

LiveHappy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Oct 15, 2016
Texas
The Sims,

I remember playing this once when I was growing up. What struck me the most about the game was how difficult it was to keep a balance in my simulated life. Fast forward to adulthood, and the game has become my reality.

If I really think about it though, it started at a very young age; when I was maybe 10 or so. Why so early? Because that’s when I started making money. I began by going to work with my dad. He had a job in a tree trimming company and would do side jobs on weekends. I would tag along to get $20 picking up the whatever pieces of brush I could carry and raking twigs/leaves. Later on in high school, I quit the football team in my junior year to keep my summer job, and most recently I spent quite a few years of my life, both going to college and working, how I’m still married is beyond me.

Several organizations teach what is called the Wheel of Life exercise. Here is how to go about it. Draw simple pie/pizza on a sheet of paper, write in 10 notches on each line. Label each line with different areas of your life. Some usual ones are, wealth, relationship, self, etc. but you would include personalized categories of what is most important to you in your life, like if art/painting is a big part of your life, you can include "creativity" etc. Next you draw in a dot on your level of satisfaction, 10 being the highest. Once you are done simply shade in the areas for each "slice" and observe the shape. Could you drive on it if it were a wheel? Do you need to re-balance your wheel of life?

This week I ran into a colleague, we always seem to end up sharing best practices and book titles etc. and he brought this up. I had done this about two years ago, but hadn’t re-done it since until today. I used the exact same categories and I am I am happy to report satisfaction growth in every category but one, with an average increase of 3. Now this is an increase in satisfaction, so either I have improved my conditions in a category, or have become become more satisfied by continuing growth in my conditions. I’m a process guy so here is what I will be doing going forward, some of it at my college’s suggestion. I will complete the wheel quarterly, and then brainstorm on how to improve each category one by one. Next, I will circle the actions that I will decide to move forward with. Here I will lean toward selecting recurring actions over one time items, because I want to continually be more balanced with what is most important to me. For example, I'll place an action item in my calendar to check in with my personal health monthly. Lastly I will color code these items by category and place in my calendar and can also use these categories when I do my weekly planning. I’m excited to see where this takes me.

I’ve been curious as to how the Sim’s players do in their life balance? I wonder how the good players would do on their own wheel of life. What I do know is that I don’t want to achieve in order to someday be happy, instead I want to happily achieve, and wish the same for you all as well. Below is an example of a wheel of life looks like, you'll find a bunch of these on google. I like this one for the exception of the career/job category ;) .

-LiveHappy :)

tony wheel.gif

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
https://foreverjobless.com/fjp150-i...e-living-an-unbalanced-life-kicking-your-a$$/

Give this a listen. Personally, I favor an unbalanced lifestyle and likely always will.

If you can have balance in your life and achieve everything you've always wanted to and you enjoy balance go for it. If you're forcing yourself to live a balanced lifestyle and don't enjoy it or you're coming up short on your goals i'd drop the balance.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
The Sims,

I remember playing this once when I was growing up. What struck me the most about the game was how difficult it was to keep a balance in my simulated life. Fast forward to adulthood, and the game has become my reality.

If I really think about it though, it started at a very young age; when I was maybe 10 or so. Why so early? Because that’s when I started making money. I began by going to work with my dad. He had a job in a tree trimming company and would do side jobs on weekends. I would tag along to get $20 picking up the whatever pieces of brush I could carry and raking twigs/leaves. Later on in high school, I quit the football team in my junior year to keep my summer job, and most recently I spent quite a few years of my life, both going to college and working, how I’m still married is beyond me.

Several organizations teach what is called the Wheel of Life exercise. Here is how to go about it. Draw simple pie/pizza on a sheet of paper, write in 10 notches on each line. Label each line with different areas of your life. Some usual ones are, wealth, relationship, self, etc. but you would include personalized categories of what is most important to you in your life, like if art/painting is a big part of your life, you can include "creativity" etc. Next you draw in a dot on your level of satisfaction, 10 being the highest. Once you are done simply shade in the areas for each "slice" and observe the shape. Could you drive on it if it were a wheel? Do you need to re-balance your wheel of life?

This week I ran into a colleague, we always seem to end up sharing best practices and book titles etc. and he brought this up. I had done this about two years ago, but hadn’t re-done it since until today. I used the exact same categories and I am I am happy to report satisfaction growth in every category but one, with an average increase of 3. Now this is an increase in satisfaction, so either I have improved my conditions in a category, or have become become more satisfied by continuing growth in my conditions. I’m a process guy so here is what I will be doing going forward, some of it at my college’s suggestion. I will complete the wheel quarterly, and then brainstorm on how to improve each category one by one. Next, I will circle the actions that I will decide to move forward with. Here I will lean toward selecting recurring actions over one time items, because I want to continually be more balanced with what is most important to me. For example, I'll place an action item in my calendar to check in with my personal health monthly. Lastly I will color code these items by category and place in my calendar and can also use these categories when I do my weekly planning. I’m excited to see where this takes me.

I’ve been curious as to how the Sim’s players do in their life balance? I wonder how the good players would do on their own wheel of life. What I do know is that I don’t want to achieve in order to someday be happy, instead I want to happily achieve, and wish the same for you all as well. Below is an example of a wheel of life looks like, you'll find a bunch of these on google. I like this one for the exception of the career/job category ;) .

-LiveHappy :)

View attachment 13527

I have a pyramid built by an Italian writer Claudio Belotti in his book "Life as you want".

From the base to the top of the pyramid the sequence is the following:

1. Physical Health

2. Mental Health Emotions

3. Relations: partners, family, friends, etc.

4. Time for themselves

5. Business, Work, Careers, Mission

6. Finance: save and invest

7. Celebrate, Contribute, Spirit

In conclusion:

if you have not the physical and emotional health you have very little.

Then there are the relationships: what is to be comfortable when you are alone !!!

Also you have to be gratified by the time only for you.

Only after these elements is your mission, your business, because if you put it earlier, the latter will be the price to have results in the work. You will be yet another successful man, sick, stressed out, alone and with no time for himself.

Then there is money: € - $ - £ - ¥. But if you have so many and you're sick, stressed out, alone, doing a job you do not like, and you're out of time for you .... you are of little use: just to heal yourself.

Finally there is the spirit: Be grateful for everything you have.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
While I try to keep a balance, I understand that's not always the way it works. I get your point though. You're forever young in Virtual reality games. I don't believe that works out in real life either.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
While I try to keep a balance, I understand that's not always the way it works. I get your point though. You're forever young in Virtual reality games. I don't believe that works out in real life either.

"We are largely what 'we think".

I agree on finding the individual point of balance. But I am firmly opposed to all limiting beliefs.

My "Pharaoh" internal forces me to continue to build the pyramid with the exact sequence of the elements that I wrote.

I'm doing it regularly for a long time and has become my lifestyle.

I like to live like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.