The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Ungodly Marketing Resources Thread

Marketing, social media, advertising

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Hey guys, figured now is as good a time as ever to give back a little. I specialize in all things digital marketing with a primary focus on PPC and SEO. One of the toughest parts in terms of bringing myself up to speed was building my resources list to help me with various task, here is where I will share some that are valuable to me.

Domains:

• Expired Domains with PR, Backlinks and more completely FREE - This site is a crowd favorite for looking for recently dropped/expired domains. You can find domain names with high PR, backlinks, and search for ones relevant to your industry. They also have a very nice advanced search function which helps a ton if you know what you are looking for.
  • prnator.com - Very cool site if you are looking for high PR sites to build your own personal private network. It's in French, but not a big deal, Google translate works just fine.
  • NamePros - The World's #1 Domain Community! - Good site with a ton of information about the domaining industry. Very good for newcomers to learn the ins and outs of domaining, also learning what not to do in terms of trademark infringement and the sort.

PPC/Paid Traffic/Media Buying:
  • STM - If you are serious about learning the ins and outs of paid traffic this is definitely the place to go. Price is $99 per month for a forum subscription, but it is very much worth every penny. The case studies offered are worth their weight in gold, not to mention all of the free help for getting everything up and running by the pros. In the two months that I used this forum I learned how to go from making no money with display advertising to over $6k/mo in about two months. I also heard IMGrind.com - The Sweetest Internet Marketing Blog In The History Of Ever - Internet Marketing Coaching & Mentoring is on par, can't give a personal review however.
  • Traffic Sources:

1. Google Adwords: Definitely the big dog in the court, good for almost every vertical you could possibly think of, problem is competitive pricing makes it difficult to get a good ROI in some industries. Still worth learning the ropes and using. I suggest the book Advanced Google Adwords by Brad Geddes, it's a fairly long, dry book but you will learn the basics. Also worth mentioning is it is a little out of date, but the principles included still work for the most part. There may be better options, you decide.
  2. Bing Adcenter: Much, much lower volume, but similar targeting and fairly easy to use. If you are familiar with Adwords, you should be using Adcenter as well. For the most part CPC costs are less and the quality of traffic is usually quite good.
  3. Display advertising: SiteScout is one of the larger self-serve platforms out there with a minimum deposit of $500 last I checked but it has a very wide selection of sites you can advertise on. Figure out your demographics, target, test. It's fairly popular, so there may be some competitive pricing, but still worth a go.
  4. Facebook - The up and coming advertising platform which has INSANE demo targeting mixed with very, very high volume. Though Facebook is known to favor larger brands over the small guys, it is still a solid advertising platform to use for almost all businesses. Keep the shady stuff off of it though, they are ban happy.
  5. POF - The crowded pond. POF has the best demo targeting I have seen, where you can specifically target almost any person out there. Mad at your girlfriend for cheating on you with someone on POF? Match her profile settings and send her a little message. Joking aside, they are a bit strict on ad approval, but nothing too terrible. Good testing ground for the up and comer.

More coming soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Speed+ Thanks for a great resource thread.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Good stuff. Speed+. I can vouch for IMGrind - great resource especially if you start your own thread Follow Along thread. You'll get coaching from some of the premier IMs in the world.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
As promised

Competition Research/SEO Research/PPC Research

Backlink Trackers

Self explanatory, different crawlers will show different results. Use them all.

Rank Tracking (SEO)

• Rank Tracker - Track Your Search Engine Rankings Easily! - Solid piece of software, desktop based. It can scrape its own proxies and has automatic human emulation settings along with scheduling. Solid, but recently checking G rankings has been difficult to say the list, at least with the large lists I have. Will work very well for less than 200, any more than that you will probably want something web based.
  • Complete SEO Software. Ranking, Linking, Analytics, Social. - I have been using this service for about 3 months now, and am probably going to stick with them. Their packages allow for many more keywords than the competition does for much more reasonable pricing. $99 for 7000 keywords, definitely not bad.

I'll try to get some more up tomorrow, hope these help!

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
A big thanks and speed+. This is totally one of the best things about the INSIDERS I can't thank you enough for the aggregation of links here and I'm sure even more to come.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I'm reviving this one from the dead simply because I have things that I occasionally come across that can be of significant value to share with you guys & gals. Personally, I store literally everything in well organized OneNote notebooks full of screenshots, pdfs, spreadsheets, notes, ideas, you name it. I'll add some stuff like that here as I pass over it moving forward.

This resource I came across today is a very in depth Reddit post covering the ins and outs of using Facebook Ads for ecommerce. First time I have ever found such a consolidated resource on the topic, definitely worth reading over as there is gold contained within.

The definitive guide to Facebook ads for eCommerce - Lessons From $697,840.43 Spent on eComm ads! • r/Entrepreneur

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Tom,

You might consider changing the thread title to a bit more explanatory.
Resources could mean anything ie. Natural, Energy, Human, Water, and of course SEO:cool:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan

DeepScripted

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 27, 2018
Denver, Colorado
These are super helpful. Thanks for putting it all together. I’m just starting to paddle in the TMFL strategy, and after reading through multiple posts and discussion it seem like marketing is one of the most important skills to have. I don’t have any marketing/programming background.

What would you recommend as the first step in getting familiar with it? I know I can start with books and articles - but what I’ve understood is that practical learning is way more fruitful. So, I’m thinking of doing some marketing/advertising for free maybe? And learn the ropes while helping some. What you think? This is my very first post on the forum - many more to come :)

Thanks again!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
These are super helpful. Thanks for putting it all together. I’m just starting to paddle in the TMFL strategy, and after reading through multiple posts and discussion it seem like marketing is one of the most important skills to have. I don’t have any marketing/programming background.

What would you recommend as the first step in getting familiar with it? I know I can start with books and articles - but what I’ve understood is that practical learning is way more fruitful. So, I’m thinking of doing some marketing/advertising for free maybe? And learn the ropes while helping some. What you think? This is my very first post on the forum - many more to come :)

Thanks again!
Welcome, glad you decided to join us!

Just speaking from my personal experience, I took a winding road. First intro into digital marketing I was talking to a guy whose house I did gutter cleaning for and he was a PPC consultant. Told him if he needed any help with anything to let me know as I was just trying to get my foot in the door and learn. Ended up being a $15/hr paid gig (more than I made at my day job at the time) where I had a chance to learn stuff, ask questions, and get a little pocket money.

A few months later I volunteered to optimize the gutter cleaning company website for free and run some paid ads to it. Went through the process of writing and optimizing all of the content on the site and getting some links organized, and it ranked #1 for gutter cleaning and gutter cleaning raleigh. Just checked, and it is still #1-3 for those terms in this area even 6 years later.

So I guess to get your feet wet I would recommend you learn all that you can so you have a general direction and goal to strive for, then go do something for free (or better get paid to do it). Hands on experience trumps all.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Hi Tom, quick question. For FB ads, would you suggest that for a new business selling a product, I should target a very broad audience in the beginning?

Say, target all males in the US aged 18 to 65?

Then, depending on the results, I then target more specifically? Or is it better to target specific from the start?

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Hi Tom, quick question. For FB ads, would you suggest that for a new business selling a product, I should target a very broad audience in the beginning?

Say, target all males in the US aged 18 to 65?

Then, depending on the results, I then target more specifically? Or is it better to target specific from the start?
Disclaimer: I'm no FB Ads expert.

But yes, that is what I would do. First test out different targeting and audiences via your ad sets. Once you start getting traction at your target cost, then an additional breakdown for specific demo groups, ages in this case.

Something like this:
Campaign #1
Ad Set #1 - Audience #1
Ad Set #2 - Audience #2
Ad Set #3 - Audience #3
Ad Set #4 - Audience #4

Run traffic to each, find winner. Take winner, copy to create:

Ad Set Winner - Demo Target #1 (18-25)
Ad Set Winner - Demo Target #2 (25-35)
Ad Set Winner - Demo Target #3 (35-45)
Ad Set Winner - Demo Target #4 (45-55)

Run traffic, find winner. Or, you could probably use GA or FB analytics to find this data after the initial test, just depends on what your KPI target is.

Anyone with more experience on testing procedures feel free to weigh in!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Just ran through Facebook's new policy updates, and it looks like there is now an option to opt out of pixel based audiences. Again, no Facebook expert, but this could have a dramatic effect if large swathes of people opted out as remarketing audiences would no longer reach their intended audience.Screenshot_20180608-113112.png

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Welcome, glad you decided to join us!

Just speaking from my personal experience, I took a winding road. First intro into digital marketing I was talking to a guy whose house I did gutter cleaning for and he was a PPC consultant. Told him if he needed any help with anything to let me know as I was just trying to get my foot in the door and learn. Ended up being a $15/hr paid gig (more than I made at my day job at the time) where I had a chance to learn stuff, ask questions, and get a little pocket money.

A few months later I volunteered to optimize the gutter cleaning company website for free and run some paid ads to it. Went through the process of writing and optimizing all of the content on the site and getting some links organized, and it ranked #1 for gutter cleaning and gutter cleaning raleigh. Just checked, and it is still #1-3 for those terms in this area even 6 years later.

So I guess to get your feet wet I would recommend you learn all that you can so you have a general direction and goal to strive for, then go do something for free (or better get paid to do it). Hands on experience trumps all.

I think this is the best way to get started. Unfortunately, almost nobody realizes that. Everybody is just jumping for passive income, without taking time to learn skills first and work for somebody else and/or for free in the beginning.

Perfect example. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.