The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Type of Person Who Lives in Minnesota

Spirit Animal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 8, 2017
Minneapolis
Greetings from the freezing cold location also known as Minnesota.

What type of person would live in such a place you ask? Generally, the type of person who lives here is the type whose ancestors chose this as a fitting place to raise their families. Also common is the type of person who has waged one or several unsuccessful attempts at leaving this place behind.

That's all beside the point.

A little bit about myself. I graduated from college a few years ago. In school I managed to make ends meet by freelance writing on elance (RIP). This was how I got my first taste of making money online.

Writing top ten lists and articles about air purifiers was great and all, but after I graduated I decided that I needed to pay off my small amount of student loans faster. Another rationalization for my choice to enter corporate America was as a means find a temporary source of income to live on and fund my own ventures in entrepreneurship.

Things looked bleak as I was living in a hotel in Virginia, armed with nothing but a political science degree. Then one night while drinking alone I thought it would be comical to submit an application for a job in IT. What would they possibly want with me?

A few interviews later I had a new job that pays well and allows me to work from home about 80% of the time.

Now that is all out of the way I am turning my focus back to entrepreneurship. I don't have an ironclad business plan to take over the world and make millions but I am in the process of starting a niche site simply to get some momentum on my side.

I've read TMF and have already read through a lot of the threads on here and just didn't want to lurk forever without saying hello!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
What's up from the state next door.

Make sure you diversify your income streams with your niche site. Don't end up like a lot of shmucks who rely 100% on 8% commissions from Amazon and then get their account banned for some arbitrary Amazon reason.

Spirit Animal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 8, 2017
Minneapolis
What's up from the state next door.

Make sure you diversify your income streams with your niche site. Don't end up like a lot of shmucks who rely 100% on 8% commissions from Amazon and then get their account banned for some arbitrary Amazon reason.

Shout out to my birth state, South Dakota.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Funny thing is, I clicked the blog link in your signature and realized I already had it open from clicking it in another thread(I'm working my way through your ebook posts). I've got the day off so there's time to go down a rabbit hole or two.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A few interviews later I had a new job that pays well and allows me to work from home about 80% of the time.

Sounds like a great sitution, just be careful-- this could be a trap to your entrepreneurial dreams. Or who knows, maybe you found the right job?

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro!

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Shout out to my birth state, South Dakota.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Funny thing is, I clicked the blog link in your signature and realized I already had it open from clicking it in another thread(I'm working my way through your ebook posts). I've got the day off so there's time to go down a rabbit hole or two.
What part of South Dakota? I went to SDSU.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Where in Minnesota are you from?

Spirit Animal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 8, 2017
Minneapolis
@MJ DeMarco - Thanks for the advice! I try to constantly remind myself of the dangerous line I'm walking with this. Although, it has been a good way to learn how to be productive working from home without anyone looking over my shoulder.

@YoungPadawan - Rapid City. It was a brief stint when I was a child.

@Vigilante - I grew up in the St.Cloud area but I've been in the twin cities for several years now. Love your line about how god didn't intend for people to live here by the way. I hear we are getting an ice storm tomorrow.. No thanks!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Didn't realize there were so many guys in the same area as me.

You east river SD & MN guys have it bad haha.

I'm convinced hell isn't hot, it's COLD.

Welcome to the forum @Spirit Animal

My son was supposed to be in route south today coming to Florida for a few months but last nights ice and snow have put a pause in his departure plans. I don't miss it.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
My son was supposed to be in route south today coming to Florida for a few months but last nights ice and snow have put a pause in his departure plans. I don't miss it.

I've got stores in SD and Neb, I was down 83% in gross revenues yesterday thanks to the storm.

I'm originally from the westcoast. Why I ever moved out here is beyond me. Wife and I have been travelling the country looking for somewhere else to live that's warmer. Phoenix is next on the list. Visited Washington state and Florida last year.

Glad your son didn't risk it...it was pretty bad.

Spirit Animal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 8, 2017
Minneapolis
I've got stores in SD and Neb, I was down 83% in gross revenues yesterday thanks to the storm.

I'm originally from the westcoast. Why I ever moved out here is beyond me. Wife and I have been travelling the country looking for somewhere else to live that's warmer. Phoenix is next on the list. Visited Washington state and Florida last year.

Glad your son didn't risk it...it was pretty bad.

You must get asked that question a lot when you mention you are from the west coast!

We didn't get hit with anything until late last night. Luckily I work from home! There has been constant noise from folks scraping ice off their cars in the lot outside my window.

As far as escape plans go, I like the mountain west. I visited Montana back in September and plan on a few more visits to other states out there in the coming year. Thinking Boise might be next on my list.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You must get asked that question a lot when you mention you are from the west coast!

We didn't get hit with anything until late last night. Luckily I work from home! There has been constant noise from folks scraping ice off their cars in the lot outside my window.

As far as escape plans go, I like the mountain west. I visited Montana back in September and plan on a few more visits to other states out there in the coming year. Thinking Boise might be next on my list.

I don't ever again want to live where you have to scrape your windshield or step in slush (unless it's a remote mountain cabin - which I would do.)

Spirit Animal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 8, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone think there is a correlation between starting businesses/websites/whatever and being bored from being cooped up in the house when it's -40 outside?

There might be some truth to this!

I think the worst thing about winter is the reduced daylight hours, but that's everywhere.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Anyone think there is a correlation between starting businesses/websites/whatever and being bored from being cooped up in the house when it's -40 outside?

Some would actually propose the opposite. Seasonal disfunction disorder. Consistently here you will find when people made a climate change for the better (see MJ, Eskil, Allen, SteveO, and many others) that the better weather created a better mindset. Something about the ability to sit under a palm tree or by a desert oasis fountain and plan your world takeover that creates a more freeing, productive mindset.

Personally, I find "Minnesota Nice" to be a crock of shit. I think people spend 6 months being frustrated and confined, and maybe 4 good months dreading what is coming next. Frantic commutes, slush in your shoes, and distain for being outside have a tendency to make people a little stir crazy throughout the midwest. It's nice to visit (in the summer) but I wouldn't want to live there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...