The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Science of Process vs Event- Don't Work Against Your Brain!

Anything related to matters of the mind

IlyaP

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
504%
Aug 25, 2016
When most people are starting out, they hope to be successful quickly. They read a book, think they have all the knowledge they need, and after not succeeding right away, they stop.

If you're currently doing this, you are working against you brain's biology.

Whenever you learn something new (let's use an example of learning to write good copy) there are two ways that knowledge gets transferred into long term memory (which is where your skills are stored):

1. The quick pathway- This happens at the synaptic level of your brain. Basically new synapses, neurons, or connections are created that correspond to the knowledge you've learned.

You might have new connections that correspond to learning that you should use benefits instead of features when writing copy.

You might have new connections that correspond to learning that using long, complicated words isn't helpful because the majority of people read at a 5th grade level.

However, even though you have those synapses formed, you still can't use the full power of the knowledge you obtained.

That's where the next way of memory consolidation comes in:
2. The slow(process) pathway- This stage can take weeks, if not months. This is where your brain completely reorganizes some of its sections in order to maximize efficiency and prune off connections that you don't use.

This means that even though you might have learned a new way of thinking, skill, or something similar today, you won't actually be effective at using it weeks, months, or maybe even years down the road.

And this is where practice comes in.

If you learn a new skill, practice it, and then get feedback (from the market, from someone who's done it before, etc), you will get the maximum benefit of creating the quick synapse connections combined with the long-term benefit of speeding up the slow-process with feedback & maximizing the efficiency of the connections down the road.

And this slow process actually changes where in you brain the "thinking" happens which means it'll be easier and take up less resources, allowing you to improve your skills even further.

So... what I'm trying to say is this:

Get your a$$ off the couch, and get. to. work!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great post thank you for sharing.

2. The slow(process) pathway- This stage can take weeks, if not months. This is where your brain completely reorganizes some of its sections in order to maximize efficiency and prune off connections that you don't use.

Plasticity ... the ability to form new neural connections over time. True story.

For example, there's an option thread on the inside that is years long and pages and pages thick -- because I've done the activity for so long, I can look at something and immediately tell (without much thinking) that I need to take action. Also, the interface I use for trading looks like Japanese to the novice. But for me, it's like reading a simple children's book... "See Jane run up the hill." Muscle memory!

Genetics, reading books, guru courses -- all of it can get us to the starting line, but PROCESS is what FINISHES the race. An excellent process WINS the race.

IlyaP

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
504%
Aug 25, 2016
For example, there's an option thread on the inside that is years long and pages and pages thick -- because I've done the activity for so long, I can look at something and immediately tell (without much thinking) that I need to take action. Also, the interface I use for trading looks like Japanese to the novice. But for me, it's like reading a simple children's book... "See Jane run up the hill." Muscle memory!
This reminds me of the stories in one of Malcolm Gladwell's books about the basketball coach who could predict if a shot was going in purely by looking at the shooter without looking at the hoop, and the tennis coach who could predict where the ball was going to go (or something like that) in a tennis match.

Crazy how well our brains work when we commit to the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.