• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

The Rich

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by camski, Oct 21, 2007.

1. camski

camski Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $111
    I was reading one of the threads here and the term "The Rich" was getting thrown around quite a bit. I thought it might be good to start a thread around this term. My feeling is that there "The Rich" are actually made up of a number of subgroups, so you cannot really just lump them all together when discussing "The Rich". For example the ones that come to mind to me are the Hollywood rich, Prosports rich, wall street rich, entrepreneurial rich (or business rich) and lottery rich. There are probably others that I am neglecting here but what are your thoughts?

2. randallg99

randallg99 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $169
    is there a good reason how this knowledge can help you achieve your goals?

3. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    I think it's a good question, in part b/c some of the posters here have *very* different ideas of what "rich" or "rich people" are. Or for that matter, what constitutes "wealth".

For instance:

Someone who lives in a big house, has lots of bling, and drives an expensive car may not, in my eyes, be wealthy.

They may just be living beyond their means, and going deeply in debt to finance their "lifestyle".

On the other hand, someone who lives simply, in a more modest house, drives an older, but well kept car, and doesn't seem to be into the latest trends or designer duds may not appear to be "rich". They may give to charities, or have other places where their money goes (travel, for instance).

I think we may want to distinguish here between "wealthy" people, and "rich" people.

Perhaps what I described above is the difference:

A "rich" person has outward symbols of money. They may, or may NOT, actually have lots of money. But they have expensive "things"

A "wealthy" person has money. They may, or may NOT, actually have outward symbols of this. But they have high net worth.

These definitions allow for a lot of overlap:

"Rich" people who actually do have money, and
    "Wealthy" persons who have expensive things.

But here's a harder question:

Which is fastlane? :confused:

-Russ H.

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,004
    Admin Post
    I have a half-completed post/chapter in my book about this very thing entitled the "Ubiquitous Millionaire" and actually defines what is financial rich.

The term "millionaire" is loosely tossed around as a ubiquitous word that seems all-encompassing to determine someone rich. Such is far from the truth. A "millionaire" is simply someone in the upper middle class, and by all means, lives and appears like any other middle-class household.

When I finish the writing, Ill post it.

5. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $251

In my opinion "rich" and "wealthy" are the same thing. Kinda like "cat" and "feline".

You can have all the expensive toys in the world. If you don't have lots of cash or assets, you're not rich or wealthy.

I know my share of people who drive expensive cars and brag about all their expensive toys, yet when it comes time to pay the little $30 bar tab, they vanish. Cause in reality, they are broke as a joke.

6. Adam

Adam New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    In a short description, I've always considered rich people to be people like athletes, actors, etc. Wealthy people are the ones that cut rich people their paychecks.

Rich people can be created in a very short time frame, with the signing of a Hollywood or sports contract, the closing of a real estate deal or the invention of a widget. True wealth typically takes much longer to grow (typically a generation or more), BUT wealth will never be jeopardized when the sports contract gets cancelled or the real estate deal doesn't close. I've seen rich people come and go in a 12 months timeframe, wealth, however, is much stronger.

Now on the topic of "millionaire"; I've always struggled with this. I am one? Well, technically; but I don't see it that way. My companies have real estate assets well into the millions, but much of that is equity in commercial RE. The large amounts of equity allows us to leverage for future projects and translates into monthly cashflow, but none of it is easily accessible (or liquid). It's all just numbers on a balance sheet. So, there is a piece of paper at my accountants office that states that I am a millionaire, but that's about it. Not a glamourous as I would like it to be!!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.