The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Return of Blogs

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hell yeah. I really agree on making an seo optimised blog which is part of a content strategy (awareness authority engagement conversion) the backbone of any social media content that then gets spun out.

Make the content the asset rather than the platform if that makes sense.

Why put all that work into creating content for one or two social platforms, it's worth taking the extra step and prioritizing the content on your website.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
I think the general public will always stick to an all in one website/network like FB, YT etc rather than go back to blogs.

Like a monopoly, you either follow what they say or your chances of succeeding are lower. Look at Alex Jones.

Maybe a new Russian/Chinese social network will take a piece of the global market?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I've built a fairly successful *very niche* blog this year, and this is something to keep in mind. Does it matter if you control your own content if no one is around to read it?

In my case, I got a bingo in terms of content that is unfavourably looked upon by the tech companies. I have managed to get around it by growing a small group of loyal readers that organically share the content themselves, or at least check in regularly on the website. But even though readers come to the blog through other channels, I still feel the hits from yet another change to the Google algorithm.

Very likely would I have had an easier time building a following if I had chosen to get on YouTube and push content in the same way as I have on the blog. Even with controversial content you could still walk the line on YT, and pull the audience toward your own domains for when shit hits the fan.
How are you getting traffic to your blog? Is it organic or are you promoting your blog in other websites paid or unpaid?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Blogs will stay but it seems that the cake was eaten by vlogs.

Just my perception as I am no expert in this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I don't think that blogs are going to come back to life in the way they have previously but I do think they have their place. I am in the midst of bringing one back to life, but I definitely don't see it as the answer to all that it was once for me (oh those days when I just typed some words, Google indexed it and people spent all the money).

My aim with it now is to build authority. In terms of getting traffic I use multiple methods - paid advertising to get it to the education pieces that can I can then grab details to push to paid products, through vlogs to get the written versions of what I babble on about and organic swipe ups, button hits and any other method social media comes up with to get people to the site to learn the answer to the cliff hanger I put out there.

MAB1138

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Nov 28, 2017
New York (State, not city)
.. I wouldn't necessarily call it a second comeback of blogging. ..

Blogging has been strong for several decades, and never really got weaker since the "first wave". It was just never in the spotlight. It just wasn't the fad. But I guarantee it's still working for businesses even as people flock to social media.

I agree. When blogging got noticed around 2006-ish, it got labeled and became a "thing." It has since receded in popularity but is still around.

It's simply another tool in the online toolbox instead of a fad. It's not as sexy as it once was, but it's every bit as effective in the right cases.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
While this is true to a degree, with organic search it's less control than say a direct post on Facebook or YouTube. Plus you can send ads to that page as well (at least if it's within terms of their advertising :) )

The same applies to email BTW. Everyone says own a mailing list. You have 100% control over it.

That's not true, guess who's the #1 email provider?

Gmail.

And if they don't like your email they'll put you in the Promotions or Updates tab. Or worse, send you into the spam folder to die.
Can you elaborate on Google sending your email to spam and promotion. I know Google will delete your Gmail email if they don't like it. So you're trying ng to say that if Google blacklists your example@yourbuisness.com email they'll classify that email as spam and promotions?

Joost11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 10, 2019
OP i think you couldnt be more wrong. Blogging is already being killed by bigger platforms. In almost every niche. Good luck ranking your blog above new york times and the likes, its getting harder every time. Just like early adopters on social media platform there are pro bloggers who have decades of experience. You need to really pick the right niche and pray that the sharks wont eat it. Screw being a beginner in this game

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The same applies to email BTW. Everyone says own a mailing list. You have 100% control over it.

That's not true, guess who's the #1 email provider?

Gmail.

And if they don't like your email they'll put you in the Promotions or Updates tab. Or worse, send you into the spam folder to die.
Hi, I disagree with you on this. If Gmail puts you under Promotions or Updates (or Spam), you can still get a new email and reach out to your audience. Getting a new email (maybe even on a different domain, but still similar) is much easier than getting a new FB ad account, or building up SEO for a new domain.

The principle still holds that you have a significantly higher degree of control over email than over the other channels. For practical purposes, this is as close to 100% as you can get.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
It's weird to me that people are assuming that blogs and social media directly compete. Sure they may indirectly compete for people's time, but I'm pretty confident that they have different purposes and solve different problems. The majority of blogs answer questions or teach you something. There are some that are just kind of like diaries for companies, but from what I've seen those are far less popular than the other kind of blog.

Due to this, blogs and social media can co-exist, and actually complement eachother. Both are likely to evolve over time but I highly doubt either will go away in the coming years.

This!!!

When creating blog content you should focus on one of three audiences for the post ONLY:
- Social Media
- SEO
- Existing Audience (say via Email)

IMHO it is hard to create an article that will work with all three.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I always saw social media as a 5 star hotel, but your blog is home. They're both are meant to compliment each other, but it shouldn't be the end-all. A few years ago, my Instagram got banned from posting topless pride protesters, and I immediately realized that I was building my empire on sand. I'm working on building a blog so I have at least some control of what I'm putting out there.

My only worry is if Google starts banning my content if it doesn't fit their agenda, but for now, their rules are lax compared to other outlets (unless someone wants to make another search engine with me ) I'll still use social media, but I wouldn't invest my time as much in it anymore unless it's to direct traffic on my blog.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
May 7, 2019
Love this thread.
Video format took over the blogs
Yes I recall the times in 2007 to 2012
A comeback would be great

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Personal brands is where it's at and blogs help foster this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.