The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The process known as Grinding.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I used to think, how can I get ripped?

You would imagine that is so complicated since you gotta stop eating carbs and track your results on your iPad like you see people doing on TV.

I said to myself: Do you think that prisoners track their calories on their ipad?

No they just do pushups, pull ups, sit ups and squats in their tiny cell. Regularly. Probably as many as they possibly can. And yet they are ripped even though they eat prison food and are under constant stress.

How do you get in shape? You pick up a weight, you do the motion you need to do, you put it back down. It's not rocket science.

Miyamoto Musashi said something that stuck with me ever since I read his Book of 5 Rings and that is to never do anything useless.

At one point one day I remember I was in my apartment and I said to myself, today I will do 100 push ups no matter what.

But from experience (I know myself) I somehow knew that it wouldn't work. I needed to master ONE PUSH UP, I wanted to do ONE perfectly in order to get a better return on my efforts. The investment would thus become in "Learning how to master the push-up" rather then "Quickly doing 100 push ups to replenish my ego and be done for the day"

Real slow controlled rep fully flexed with focused breathing. I could barely do 5 of those in the beginning.

After doing barely decent push ups for a while, every day, regularly... I eventually got better! I could finally do a decent push-up. About 20 perfect push ups.

Once that I knew how to make one single push up right. It was starting to get enjoyable. Now it was time to do as many as I could. Hey where the F*ck is my iPad? I actually WANT to track how many push ups I can do before the sun sets.

This the process known as grinding. It works with everything in life.

It is possible for a violinist that masters the vibrato (one single technique) so perfectly that he or she can make you cry while playing Mary had a little lamb. Perfect vibrato can only be mastered through millions of slowly focused bow strokes.

In boxing, if you learn to master the jab (one single punch) perfectly. You actually CAN beat anybody using that jab. It's possible.

Just saying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Prince Rain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2012
Nice read. Heard of the UFC fighter Conor Mcgregor ? Dude trains his left jab like a million times and knocks out all opponents to date including the champion himself recently.

JAWS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
"Reps and Sets" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
"You don't set out to build a wall. You don't say 'I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built.' You don't start there. You say, 'I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid. You do that every single day. And soon you have a wall." - WIll Smith

• Banned

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Nice read. Heard of the UFC fighter Conor Mcgregor ? Dude trains his left jab like a million times and knocks out all opponents to date including the champion himself recently.

I love McGregor, he is badass. If you want to see jab ownage, watch Golovkin vs Lemieux (boxing).

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England

Don't want to sound picky, it isn't a jab though. Jab's are lead-hand punches, Connor uses a left straight, often called the left cross/southpaw cross. As a lefty, his jab comes from his right hand.

D

DeletedUser396

I used to think, how can I get ripped?

You would imagine that is so complicated since you gotta stop eating carbs and track your results on your iPad like you see people doing on TV.

I said to myself: Do you think that prisoners track their calories on their ipad?

No they just do pushups, pull ups, sit ups and squats in their tiny cell. Regularly. Probably as many as they possibly can. And yet they are ripped even though they eat prison food and are under constant stress.

This the process known as grinding. It works with everything in life.
Rationalizations...

You're trying to become a millionaire by flipping burgers.
You're trying to learn to play the piano by continuously pushing a random key.
Losing strategy.

It all comes down to preparation.
Using your brain and mathematics to get what you want, instead of grinding mindlessly like a workhorse.
You don't have a clear and measurable goal.
If you can't measure it, you can't improve it.

You made no research or observation at all.
Stop eating carbs? Is that what bodybuilders are doing?
Or is that something you read somewhere and took as the truth without challenging it?

Prisoners don't count calories and don't train in the most efficient way possible, sure, that's why their results are shitty.
prison-monsters.jpg

Do you really want to look like these guys?

You want to get ripped, right?
Detach yourself from your semi-psychedelic thought loops and analyze your situation in an objective way.

Why aren't you lifting weights?
Why aren't you counting calories, measuring your waist and weighing yourself?
They are the most efficient way to measure and improve your progress.

Any reason that is not a rationalization?
No access to a gym? Hello?!

Knowing what you really want is fundamental.
Do you even want to get ripped?
Or do you want to become a calisthenics master?
Even then, counting calories, measuring your waist and weighing yourself while doing a real routine is the most efficient way to achieve your goals.

You're playing a game of tactics.
Shift your mindset.
quote-strategy-without-tactics-is-the-slowest-route-to-victory-tactics-without-strategy-is-the-noise-sun-tzu-334777.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Rationalizations...

I believe that I could become a millionaire by flipping burgers and learning to flip burgers. I could then teach others to flip burgers and have them do it for me. :) Too bad that I can't have someone do pushups for me...

• Banned

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I believe that I could become a millionaire by flipping burgers and learning to flip burgers. I could then teach others to flip burgers and have them do it for me. :) Too bad that I can't have someone do pushups for me...

Hahah Thanks SteveO, just saved me a lot of typing.

@Potente While you think about all that, I will just be doing push ups. Period.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Rationalizations...

You're trying to learn to play the piano by continuously pushing a random key.
Losing strategy.

Good thing I didn't say I was trying to master one correct push up before attempting to do 100.... McDonald's, Burger King are the living proof that you can grind a burger and succeed.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.