The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The power of partnerships

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I am reading a book called "Founders at Work." It's a pretty interesting book that is basically just interview transcripts of successful tech start-up founders. I was reading the one with Max Levchin who is the co-founder of PayPal. He said that the best advice he could give to a future founder is to find a partner who can fight with you through the challenges of business.

I think that's excellent advice, but the trouble that I have been pondering is that most people I interact with daily don't have the fastlane mindset. Actually, now that I think of it, all the people I talk to (friends, family, people at school, etc) rarely even have a mildly slowlane entrepreneurial spirit.

So this has got me wondering, how would one find a fastlane partner if he/she doesn't interact with anyone who is fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GLC65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 7, 2008
Illinois
I am reading a book called "Founders at Work." It's a pretty interesting book that is basically just interview transcripts of successful tech start-up founders. I was reading the one with Max Levchin who is the co-founder of PayPal. He said that the best advice he could give to a future founder is to find a partner who can fight with you through the challenges of business.

I think that's excellent advice, but the trouble that I have been pondering is that most people I interact with daily don't have the fastlane mindset. Actually, now that I think of it, all the people I talk to (friends, family, people at school, etc) rarely even have a mildly slowlane entrepreneurial spirit.

So this has got me wondering, how would one find a fastlane partner if he/she doesn't interact with anyone who is fastlane?

That is the reason why young people want to get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and other top schools. English 101 is English 101 whether it is Community College of Mayberry or Harvard University. You pay a major premium so you test your skills with the best of the best. Just my opinion. You are who you hang out with. If you hang out and surround yourself with high achievers, chances are you will be a high achiever.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Make new friends.

I like partnerships, they allow several investors to take on a large project that they can't do on there own yet. When I get some cash together I plan on forming one with some people I know to take on some bigger stuff.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca

Founders at Work is a great book. I initially started reading it because of Livingston's close relationship/ ties to yCombinator and Paul Graham. If you haven't already, I STRONGLY suggest you check out Graham's website and essays. Essays

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
That is the reason why young people want to get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and other top schools. English 101 is English 101 whether it is Community College of Mayberry or Harvard University. You pay a major premium so you test your skills with the best of the best. Just my opinion. You are who you hang out with. If you hang out and surround yourself with high achievers, chances are you will be a high achiever.

Rep + on this. I would love to have that oppurtunity to go to one of these schools. Most are full of like minded people, a lot of major sucessful start-ups wre partnered in the dorm rooms. Thats not to say that you can't find partners outside of college though!

FreeYourMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 19, 2008

You need to begin to change who you hang around with. This is not to say that your current crowd is bad, but if they don't have the fastlane mentality and if that is what you truly become passionate about then you will find that you will naturally desire a new group to be with anyway.

You're going to need to get out into the community (or the online community) and find the fastlaners. I can guarantee you that they will not come to find you. If you are looking locally try to find some groups of business professionals that meet on a weekly basis like BNI groups, Mastermind groups, Tip clubs, etc. Will everybody in these groups be fastlaners? No, but you can bet there will be some. IMO the most difficult part is getting started, but once you do you will find like minded people much more frequently - just get out of your comfort zone a little bit and find some groups like I mentioned above locally and join in.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
What's you dad's job? My dad works in the IT branch for example and was able to acquaint me with a lot of interesting people - some of them even help me with my current project now.

Having a high-quality network is going to help you a lot - now AND in the future!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just start hanging out in places where like minded people hang ...

1) Internet forums (like here)
2) Investment clubs in your local area
3) Mastermind groups
4) Webinars
5) College classes / Extended study courses

These groups of people will always have a select few who share the Fastlane type mindset.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
I agree with PHXMJ. I think you do need to do some active searching for like minded people of the fastlane variety. I just feel there is a ton of brainwashing out there that drills into everyone the value of going to school and going the corporate route. Since this is such a widespread accepted practice, fastlaners can be difficult to find at times. Therefore, I think pursuing these like minded people and looking in the right places is a must.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I agree with PHXMJ. I think you do need to do some active searching for like minded people of the fastlane variety. I just feel there is a ton of brainwashing out there that drills into everyone the value of going to school and going the corporate route. Since this is such a widespread accepted practice, fastlaners can be difficult to find at times. Therefore, I think pursuing these like minded people and looking in the right places is a must.

To me, although it goes against what MJ is teaching or will be anyway. I think that is better, it means to me that it will take a much stronger person to seek outside ofthat, often sought after in entrepreneurs. You find people in the fastlane that know and have the drive to want to create something of their own. People get roped into that mentalitly are those that can most likley not handle the stresses, roller coaster rides, and hard work that an entreprenuer has to have to create and run a sucessful company.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.