The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The next $120 I gross online I will buy an insiders membership

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Been flipping stuff on eBay, craigslist and amazon.

I noticed my school has a large international population that when school ends for the year, many valuable items get thrown out. It sometimes costs more to store things than it does to just buy it again next year. So I started grabbing stuff and flipping for profit. One mans trash... Is another mans $1500 inventory.

Currently made $300 net. Next $120 I gross (pre seller fees, shipping etc) I'll buy an INSIDERS membership. I will include a detailed story for each item, how I got it, where it sold, how much $ etc, and I'll personally pay the fees etc in order to get an INSIDERS membership sooner for less (as opposed to waiting for $120 to gross)

Challenge starts today.

P.S, I really want to get on the inside forum.. So its time to grind

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
That is a very cool idea. You should offer a free "we throw your stuff out" service on Facebook groups and shit. They call you, you go, hoard what's sellable.. I like it. An old style hustle.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
If for motivation, add a zero. $1200. Start thinking bigger.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
If for motivation, add a zero. $1200. Start thinking bigger.

Oh don't worry. My 12 week goal is $5000 in flipping profit and my inventory is in the range of $1100~1700. Currently at $300

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Exactly @JAJT! Commit to the end goal financially so you have no choice but to follow through. Like @ZCP said, it's a small dollar value so it should be easy to attain (dream bigger) but committing now will force a mindset shift. Congrats on following up on the advice from your progress thread. :rockon:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Then get the membership now and start posting the details. That will give you motivation, advice, and help accelerate obtaining your goals. Stop what you are doing and do it now.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
come on in, sooner the better.

"If you give me fire, then il add some fuel"

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
Here's what I'd do:

Buy the membership now.

Your method is a lot like waiting to be taller before buying a ladder.
Seeing no flaws in this logic, I am an INSIDERS now. (awaiting payment clearance)

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So when school cleared out and everyone threw their shit away, I started taking an inventory. Actually jumped in a friends car and sweeped the whole campus looking for shit.

I just had another sale made on Amazon for an air circulator i had found new in the box. $43. Found it on one of the runs that night. Just sold earlier.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Here's what I'd do:

Buy the membership now.

Your method is a lot like waiting to be taller before buying a ladder.

Buy it now, then say 'I will make $120 TODAY to cover the cost'. If you only make $70 today, that's still good.

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
good goin chris!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Wanting this $120 fast has caused me to be much more creative with my listings.....

Will update on the next sale with what I did.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Why dont you use the time you're using on earning peanuts on building a real business or at least a skill (like media buying, product sourcing etc)?

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Why dont you use the time you're using on earning peanuts on building a real business or at least a skill (like media buying, product sourcing etc)?

Not to be a dick man but I take offense to that comment with your assumptions.vi appreciate your criticism but your assumptions are wrong.

Your claim of me wasting time is simply ignorant and foolish.

To put you in perspective, I'm a 21 year old living on my own since I was 19, supporting myself since I could work at 17. I pay rent. I pay college tuition. I pay my insurance, gas , food, and don't take a dime from my parents. If I'm not up at 7am cranking out reading books, or reading programs, or researching shit, learning, experimenting, or in class, then I'm probably up getting an early start at 5am.

When people party on weekends I build businesses. When people ask me if I want to go out and party, I kindly deny and read, study, and work. My summer schedule is being up around 4am, reading, researching, and working on a business, hustling to make $ on the side, working full time, going to the gym, coming home, reading more, researching more, testing more, learning more.

So I appreciate your ignorance but the last thing I do is waste time.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Sorry I noticed you edited the comment and changed the wording, so I apologize for calling you out on your edit, I didn't see it until now. I get an email response of comments and read the original response you had written and wrote based on that.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
One problem I've noticed, not particularly targeted at you but it could be, is that people focus too much on the pre-work stuff. Read, research, read, research, get a job "for funding", read, repeat until nothing ever happens. Reading and researching are good and necessary, but dont let that get in the way of actually doing.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
One problem I've noticed, not particularly targeted at you but it could be, is that people focus too much on the pre-work stuff. Read, research, read, research, get a job "for funding", read, repeat until nothing ever happens. Reading and researching are good and necessary, but dont let that get in the way of actually doing.

Yeah I hear you, I think a lot of us can fall victim to that. I'm breaking the mold of what school teaches though with all the business plan writing bullshit and have been diving in.

I was actively testing a product and talking to importers, and a friend referred me to something that I was doing that was a tactical mistake, and I realized why I wasn't making sales, so now i've got a bit more research to do again to find a viable product.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Not to be a dick man but I take offense to that comment with your assumptions.vi appreciate your criticism but your assumptions are wrong.

To put you in perspective, I'm a 21 year old living on my own since I was 19, supporting myself since I could work at 17. I pay rent. I pay college tuition. I pay my insurance, gas , food, and don't take a dime from my parents. If I'm not up at 7am cranking out reading books, or reading programs, or researching shit, learning, experimenting, or in class, then I'm probably up getting an early start at 5am.

When people party on weekends I build businesses. When people ask me if I want to go out and party, I kindly deny and read, study, and work. My summer schedule is being up around 4am, reading, researching, and working on a business, hustling to make $ on the side, working full time, going to the gym, coming home, reading more, researching more, testing more, learning more.

I changed it from wasting time to using time right after I posted because that was the wrong word.

I'm not doubting your work ethic etc. I just meant that there are activities with a higher longterm ROI on your time than this hustle stuff. I'm telling you this from experience.

If you can make some quick cash from this hustling, then good, do it. But after that, there are much better ways to invest your time (= building real skills).

G

Guest24480

This post just got my a$$ up and off the couch. I admire your work ethic

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I changed it from wasting time to using time right after I posted because that was the wrong word.

I'm not doubting your work ethic etc. I just meant that there are activities with a higher longterm ROI on your time than this hustle stuff. I'm telling you this from experience.

If you can make some quick cash from this hustling, then good, do it. But after that, there are much better ways to invest your time (= building real skills).

Trust me I know that, but the quick cash is going to help me bootstrap a product in the near future. My summer focus is to make $$ while working a business. I was testing a product last week and it wasn't proving worthy, so now i'm going to look into some other products based on the demands of the market and move forward from there..

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So here's the list since this thread was posted:

+$43
+$25
+$9.99
+$33.66 + $22 S&H (Not sure why this much, I think it'll ship for a lot less)
-------------
$133

Next time I have a chance and am actually on the forums, i'll be purchasing INSIDERS.

I'm actually building a fastlane company right now and have been putting tremendous labor into getting it off the ground. I'm in a process I want to really get through right now, so I've been pulling long-nights and 19+ hour days with 4-5 hours of sleep per night to get through some of these initial phases... so I'm not going to have a chance to be on these forums until I can get through these phases and catch up on sleep.

But when I get a chance, I'll see you guys on the inside..

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So what happened?

As I mentioned, people throw away all of their crap at the end of the year at my school.
I'm also a Resident Assistant, so I do room-checkouts.

When people leave shit behind because they don't want it, I grab it.
We also have an end of year cleanout and people leave ALL of their stuff behind.. It's just too expensive to store, or they graduate, so they just toss it all.

From my recent profits, here's what happened:

$43 was for an ipod shuffle. I found this one in a resident's room on the floor, clearly left behind because he didn't want it (It was on top of the fridge he left and told me he was leaving..) - Also had found a pair of headphones that I was going to keep as a backup, but decided to pair them together. Bought a shuffle charger to test the item, then sold the 3 as a bundle.

$25 Next was a Burberry London Shirt. This was also left behind by the same ipod shuffle guy who just left crap he didn't want.

$10 for a football I was going to keep but it was just going to sit in my closet all summer... so I decided to sell that one

$33 + 22 S&H 2 little bose cube speakers. A guy left them out near the trash on my floor. He partied all the time in his room and probably didn't see any use for them. They attach together, but he thought they were broken from attaching and taped them up. I opened them up and re-connected them (It was just a little clip that came undone that holds them together) - Then i decided to throw out the stand and just put them on ebay - I found their model number and similar auctions, priced it fairly, and made a decent profit from what I thought was going to end up being junk.. (I tested it on a friends stereo system too)

So where did I get creative?

I realized just taking 3 pictures and a quick description on ebay with a no return policy (Didn't wanna deal with hastles) was not an efficient strategy.. although I was being lazy, I realized it's not difficult to AUTO-PILOT some seller-efficient methods to help me turn more deals.

I'm still trying to sell a few big items but my items have gotten substantially more viewers and watchers now, even if they aren't selling.

What did I do? How do you improve your eBay selling? It may sound like common sense, but a lot of people forget the basics..

1. Add more pictures. People love pictures. Add as many as you can. Take different angle shots. Get creative. Make your products look nice
2. Look for keywords that represent the item and similar keywords - List them out in the title.. use the hot keywords that people are searching for.
3. Find the serial number for similar products and check the completed listings - What is the product you're selling WORTH? This is how you find out it's PERCEIVED value, according to previous buyers...
4. Get a seller description template and use it in all of your listings - There are pre-made HTML templates you can use to spice up your ebay listings. Give it a nice heading, a few different rows, and make your product *STAND OUT* -

Some examples of this:

*SHIPS LIGHTNING FAST - HAVE IT AT YOUR DOOR IN DAYS!*
*ABSOLUTELY FAST & FREE SHIPPING*
*EXCELLENT CONDITION, MAKES A GREAT 'X Y Z'

Throw some pictures in the description and really lighten up the image that you're proposing around your product. That's what I did and sales have been coming in much faster for these free items i scooped up a few weeks ago..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.