The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The most important success principal you've ever learned?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Question: What is THE BEST or the most important success principal you have ever learned?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Whatever you're doing, focus on doing it really well. Stop half-assing and doing just enough to get by and start exceeding expectations. Whether you're running your own business or even more importantly, working in someone else's start delivering results! Star performers get noticed. By customers, business owners, potential employers, and potential investors.

Life and business are competitions and if you're not busting your butt you'll be beaten by someone who is. I hear of a lot of people who won't take entry level jobs because they're "beneath them" but there are countless stories of people in those jobs who leverage them into something much better...just ask MJ.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm sure my response will change in five minutes ("man! I should have said this!")

I think the most important one is courage. Understanding it's not the absence of fear but getting yourself to take action in spite of it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The most important thing?

Beliefs, attitudes and opinions determine everything in our lives. Mindset is everything. Change your mindset and change your life. Although nobody said change would be easy.

For example: " I'm gonna lose weight!" is a great goal but the reason why some people never lose weight is because they never change their, you guessed it: Beliefs, attitudes and opinions.

For example you might be overweight because you view food as a source of entertainment, a way to relive anxiety or stress etc. You are constantly plotting your next visit on that fast food restaurant.

To be average / normal weight you have to look at food as a source of energy and nutrition not as an all out binge highlight part of the day.

When you do that all of a sudden those large fries and 2 big hamburgers and a gallon drum of diet coke from Mcdonalds doesnt sound so exciting anymore? See the difference? All of sudden you lose weight! You don't stuff your face anymore.

All of a sudden you go a big part of the day without even thinking about food. No not starvation. But your mind is somewhere else because you beliefs and attitudes are somewhere else.

The only people that I know that have ever lost weight the natural way and KEPT it off did so because of this: a change in mindset. No not diet pills, not lipo surgery, not some shady gadget from a late night infomercial.

They changes their beliefs and attitudes about food. their source of obesity.

----

the same concept goes for business.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
You've probably killed most of the dieting industry in one post, lol.

You should sell this as a 1-page diet book :D

The most important thing?

Beliefs, attitudes and opinions determine everything in our lives. Mindset is everything. Change your mindset and change your life. Although nobody said change would be easy.

For example: " I'm gonna lose weight!" is a great goal but the reason why some people never lose weight is because they never change their, you guessed it: Beliefs, attitudes and opinions.

For example you might be overweight because you view food as a source of entertainment, a way to relive anxiety or stress etc. You are constantly plotting your next visit on that fast food restaurant.

To be average / normal weight you have to look at food as a source of energy and nutrition not as an all out binge highlight part of the day.

When you do that all of a sudden those large fries and 2 big hamburgers and a gallon drum of diet coke from Mcdonalds doesnt sound so exciting anymore? See the difference? All of sudden you lose weight! You don't stuff your face anymore.

All of a sudden you go a big part of the day without even thinking about food. No not starvation. But your mind is somewhere else because you beliefs and attitudes are somewhere else.

The only people that I know that have ever lost weight the natural way and KEPT it off did so because of this: a change in mindset. No not diet pills, not lipo surgery, not some shady gadget from a late night infomercial.

They changes their beliefs and attitudes about food. their source of obesity.

----

the same concept goes for business.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Back when I was 19/20, I used to read a lot of motivational books/ how to do this and how to do that. Fast forward 5 years, to where I am today, I'm glad I read but I'm much more happier knowing I took action on everything I read.

Most important principle I pass onto people I know: you can read all you want, but IMO read when you have to read to get the job done and keep moving. Apply what you have learned and your results will be exponential.

MJ's book is the one of 5 books I set aside time to read for, everything else I bought/borrowed because I need something from it to apply to my business.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
"Men are so simple of mind, and so much dominated by their immediate needs, that a deceitful man will always find plenty who are ready to be deceived" - Niccolo Machiavelli

I simply love how on these boards a lot of members communicate with eachother by using words great men have previously said in history!

I believe (read: believe, I have not yet reached succes) that the key to succes is the key to opening all doors in this world, and in my opinion, that key is acting upon the interest of another. As Machiavelli said: "If you desire a favor from someone, trust on his interest, because mercy and goodwill will let you down". Realizing that to achieve great things, you have to work with others is also a big one for me. Realizing that a man is judged by the people that he surrounds himself with is an even bigger one. Now, realizing that ANYTHING in life can AND should be leveraged to greater deed is the biggest one!

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Sorry for double posting, but I was writing this from my phone and accidentally pressed enter, for some reason I can't edit my last post.

To continue,

just as anything can be leveraged, anyone can be leveraged too. A product is nothing more than the mind and execution behind it, it may seem blunt, but I see no wrong in "using" people so long as both parties have mutual benefit in the cause. I believe that is the essence of business, succesful business. Distancing yourself from emotions is a big one, a lot of decisions I make in life are often troubled and motivated by emotions, I am doing my best now to think as clearly as I can of every situation, and that can be easily achieved, by simply questioning "What is the motive and interest this person has in working with me".

I'm not talking about questions as "does my product fulfill peoples needs" or "Is my idea scalable?". As machiavelli says, the deceiver will always find those who want to be deceived. With the right minds, a need can be created, and scalability can be handled. Therefore, I believe the most important aspect of doing business, is DOING business. Business is done between people, and to have succes in business you have to work with PEOPLE. A man can not move a mountain by himself.

Motivation is important, taking action is important, and betting on the right horse is important. If you're not willing to risk everything, why should you deserve to reach all your desires?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

Since I learned about passive income last year (!) I was eager to get the ball rolling for me (still am). Fact is, I have made a commitment to finish my degree and that's what I am doing. It's difficult to finish my internship knowing I will not continue in that field of work, but, in the long run..it's really insignificant.

For me, it's super hard to keep an eye on the big picture and reminding myself on the fact that all my dreams & goals do not have to happen tomorrow. I struggle with it daily. I am very impatient and for me it all has to happen today, now.
That's no way to live your life, I start to believe.
It's chasing, and even if I get everything I want now, my mindset will be so that I will set new goals and dreams. I will be chasing the rest of my life, anxious that it will not happen and angry that is has not happened yet.

Breath, life is a marathon, not a sprint.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Randy Pausch?

Sounds similar to something from him.

Actually, my grandfather used to tell me that a lot when I was little (many years ago). Along with "Today's problems are yesterday's solutions" and "What's the matter with you? You a retard?" ahh, the fond memories.....

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Blaming others for your failures is bull*hit.

One of my favorites. :D

Its actually a GOOD thing its your own damn fault. Because that means you can actually do something about it! You can change.

Now if it WASN'T your fault then you could not change / do something about it now could you?

So get your a$$ up and celebrate how everything is you fault:) because if it was someone else's fault then you will really be screwed because you cannot control that let alone change that :D.

Its kinda like a catch-22.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Good question. I've done a lot of reading and personal development this past year. An area I recommend is to pick one or two things that are core to your business and work on those consistently. This will lead to your success.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Overcoming failure.

Forgetting the past too, so you don't base your decisions on the past.

and being stupid is the key to knowledge. asking the right questions always.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Never give up, but don't beat a dead horse!

If a business idea is unlikely to ever become a success ('a dead horse') don't keep wasting your time on it but move on to the next venture as quickly as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.