The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The missing link of goals

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
For a long time I’ve had a strategy for categorizing parts of my life and constantly analyzing each area. It’s always been broken up into reflecting on where I am now, where I want to be, and setting goals on how to get there.

But although I’ve made good progress, I didn’t get the results I wanted in all areas as quick as I could’ve.

Something was missing.

I just got back from a short trip to Hawaii for a bachelor’s party. I spoke with a friend for a few hours while we were driving around the mountain and we talked about setting goals. And then he said something.

“That’s not the way to do it.”
“What do you mean”.
“What is the most important thing in human history that is entirely focused on accomplishing objectives?”
“War?”
“Yes. In war there are not goals and ideals. There are ‘operations’. The army doesn’t say “we should work on our defense in this mountain range, let’s set a goal” they say “we have developed ‘operation stronghold’, here are the set of objectives and here is the actionable plan for us to succeed at this operation”. This is the best way to accomplish objectives, or else the military, the most objective focused thing in human existence, would do it differently”.

Because of that, I changed my goal setting strategy.

Here’s how I do it.

I categorize my life in 6 ways.

Body
Style
Relationships
Money
Mindset
Adventure

I used to see where I was at in each of them and set goals for what I wanted in those categories.

Now, instead of just setting goals, I create “operations” to accomplish those goals. My notes app now has an active operations folder.

You can have any type of operation, and can name it anything you like. It can be one for getting in shape. One for building a large social circle. One for planning tons of adventures, etc.

Example: “operation networking”
Goal: build a large network of friends for the purposes of connecting with people who are self employed, intelligent, fun to hangout with, and local
Steps to implementation:
1. Invite over people for activities and hobbies.
Jet skiing at the lake
Grilling steaks
Shooting guns in the mountains
Golfing
Playing chess
Double date with girlfriends/dinner
Lunch meeting
Skiing in the winter
Going on trips
MMA class

2.Pick the things you can do with the other person, hang out a bit and chat and pick their brain, learn their skills and connections, then invite them again but tell them to bring a friend or two.

3.Meet the friends and repeat the process, each new friend you can connect with, meet their friends, and keep adding people.

4. Filter out the losers or the people who aren’t going anywhere, but maybe you meet their friends that are doing something and you can get something out of that relationship.

5.Create a mind map showing connections and add notes/tags for what they know, what they like to do, etc.

Pretty soon after going full autist on it, you have a network that you can call on for anything.

Need to get help in an area of your business? You would have 15 people you could call for free advice.

Want to plan a trip? Call up the 8 guys you know who are great entertainment and have a lot of fun.

Keep notes of birthdays, hobbies, experience, details, etc.

This is how you turn vague ideals and goals into plans of action. It’s just one example. You can do this for anything.

I have operations for business, social, fitness, and much more. This gives you daily plans and steps to take to further objectives in each operation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
For a long time I’ve had a strategy for categorizing parts of my life and constantly analyzing each area. It’s always been broken up into reflecting on where I am now, where I want to be, and setting goals on how to get there.

But although I’ve made good progress, I didn’t get the results I wanted in all areas as quick as I could’ve.

Something was missing.

I just got back from a short trip to Hawaii for a bachelor’s party. I spoke with a friend for a few hours while we were driving around the mountain and we talked about setting goals. And then he said something.

“What do you mean”.
“What is the most important thing in human history that is entirely focused on accomplishing objectives?”
“War?”
“Yes. In war there are not goals and ideals. There are ‘operations’. The army doesn’t say “we should work on our defense in this mountain range, let’s set a goal” they say “we have developed ‘operation stronghold’, here are the set of objectives and here is the actionable plan for us to succeed at this operation”. This is the best way to accomplish objectives, or else the military, the most objective focused thing in human existence, would do it differently”.

Here’s how I do it.

Body
Style
Relationships
Money
Mindset
Adventure

I used to see where I was at in each of them and set goals for what I wanted in those categories.

Now, instead of just setting goals, I create “operations” to accomplish those goals. My notes app now has an active operations folder.

You can have any type of operation, and can name it anything you like. It can be one for getting in shape. One for building a large social circle. One for planning tons of adventures, etc.

Goal: build a large network of friends for the purposes of connecting with people who are self employed, intelligent, fun to hangout with, and local
Steps to implementation:
Jet skiing at the lake
Grilling steaks
Golfing
Playing chess
Lunch meeting
Skiing in the winter
Going on trips
MMA class

2.Pick the things you can do with the other person, hang out a bit and chat and pick their brain, learn their skills and connections, then invite them again but tell them to bring a friend or two.

3.Meet the friends and repeat the process, each new friend you can connect with, meet their friends, and keep adding people.

4. Filter out the losers or the people who aren’t going anywhere, but maybe you meet their friends that are doing something and you can get something out of that relationship.

5.Create a mind map showing connections and add notes/tags for what they know, what they like to do, etc.

Pretty soon after going full autist on it, you have a network that you can call on for anything.

Need to get help in an area of your business? You would have 15 people you could call for free advice.

Want to plan a trip? Call up the 8 guys you know who are great entertainment and have a lot of fun.

This is how you turn vague ideals and goals into plans of action. It’s just one example. You can do this for anything.

I have operations for business, social, fitness, and much more. This gives you daily plans and steps to take to further objectives in each operation.
Bookmarked.
This is so cool man. By the end of the day I'll have operations set for the areas of my life.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
guys, are there bookmarks on the forum? I urgently need one

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

Attachments

• D51A31E2-EAA5-4DE5-91B3-1C874B5C94CB.jpeg
    D51A31E2-EAA5-4DE5-91B3-1C874B5C94CB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
By the way, @MJ DeMarco, can I vote for #gold? it is a certified notable at least

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I've read something a while back by James Altucher that he sets Themes rather than Goals. So instead of say having a Goal of writing a 300 page novel, his Theme is: be a writer this year.

This Operations framework is even clearer and makes sense as it's flexible. Cheers @Johnny boy

asman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 26, 2023

Something was missing.

“What do you mean”.
“War?”

Here’s how I do it.

Body
Style
Relationships
Money
Mindset
Adventure

Steps to implementation:
Jet skiing at the lake
Grilling steaks
Golfing
Playing chess
Lunch meeting
Skiing in the winter
Going on trips
MMA class

I JUST KNOW THIS WILL CHANGE LIVES. Great advice.

Could you show an example of an 'operation' regarding mindset?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I JUST KNOW THIS WILL CHANGE LIVES. Great advice.

Could you show an example of an 'operation' regarding mindset?
Operation mindset

Goal: to develop an iron will

For the next 4 days I will choose to either eat or drink, but not both. I will be thankful for each simple thing.

For the next 30 days I will make a list of everything I need to do and I will make sure I do 100% of the things I say I’ll do.

I will write down everything I am thankful for on a daily basis

I will withhold pleasure and delay gratification and every reward I will tie to an action.

I will change every “have to” obligation to “I get to”

Example: “I get to work on my business for 8 straight hours and then I will eat a delicious steak”.

I will make a list of all necessary actions and only cross a day off the calendar when they are completed and I will restart if I miss a day, and I will record any failures and understand it is shameful to fail.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Also 75Hard is a great program for those looking to build discipline while getting fit as a byproduct.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Something was missing.

“What do you mean”.
“War?”

Here’s how I do it.

Body
Style
Relationships
Money
Mindset
Adventure

Steps to implementation:
Jet skiing at the lake
Grilling steaks
Golfing
Playing chess
Lunch meeting
Skiing in the winter
Going on trips
MMA class

I agree. A goal without action steps is just wishful thinking.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Operation mindset

Goal: to develop an iron will

For the next 4 days I will choose to either eat or drink, but not both. I will be thankful for each simple thing.

For the next 30 days I will make a list of everything I need to do and I will make sure I do 100% of the things I say I’ll do.

I will write down everything I am thankful for on a daily basis

I will withhold pleasure and delay gratification and every reward I will tie to an action.

I will change every “have to” obligation to “I get to”

Example: “I get to work on my business for 8 straight hours and then I will eat a delicious steak”.

I will make a list of all necessary actions and only cross a day off the calendar when they are completed and I will restart if I miss a day, and I will record any failures and understand it is shameful to fail.
Looks like a copy/pasta from Andrew Tate’s iron mindset course :rofl::poo:

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Give it a sick name so it sticks in your head.

Operation Cash Money for business.

Operation Broads for dating.

Operation Weapon for boxing/MMA.

Operation Tank for muscle gains.

A very interesting way of doing that I much prefer to the iffy spiffy goal setting that tends to be the case.

Plus you can operationalize a business system like sales, marketing, HR, management, etc.

Like it brotha

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Steps to implementation:
Jet skiing at the lake
Grilling steaks
Golfing
Playing chess
Lunch meeting
Skiing in the winter
Going on trips
MMA class

To add on, you can create metrics for each step to measure the objective.

Per your example, it can be Hangouts, New people met, Friends Added, Friends Lost, or Activities done.

This allows you to see how much you are actually doing to accomplish your objective.

For fitness it is days trained, track your workouts, note how you felt the day after your workout (effectiveness), and track your progress with weekly pictures and weigh-ins.

For a business objective of sales increase, it can be leads in, time to call, appointments set, closed, etc.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Operation is a project that takes a few weeks.

If you are talking about something to be done within a day it is usually referred to as a mission.

The planning wise are not too different from civilians but civilians always assume they know how much resource, time and energy are needed to achieve a goal, where the military always assume things will screw up.

It is about setting contingent plan Bs along the way to improvise and adapt that put the military minds superior to that of a a civilians.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Operation is a project that takes a few weeks.

If you are talking about something to be done within a day it is usually referred to as a mission.

The planning wise are not too different from civilians but civilians always assume they know how much resource, time and energy are needed to achieve a goal, where the military always assume things will screw up.

It is about setting contingent plan Bs along the way to improvise and adapt that put the military minds superior to that of a a civilians.
I agree. I always have a Plan B, Plan C, Plan D... So, when things do "screw up", I'm ready. It's called an "if-then" plan for if/or when something happens. Having a plan in place gives me a chance to make a good decision in advance of a crisis. It's sure better than trying to make it in the heat of the moment.

One of my favorite related problem-solving techniques is to solve problems before they happen. There are very few black swans, so it is pretty easy to predict day-to-day problems. Even the big ones can be seen coming. Life and businesses have normal cycles and patterns. Many problems can be easily knocked down before they even take their first breath. It sure makes life easier and smoother.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.