The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Karmic Capitalist...

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I read this on the Tim Ferriss Blog. I think it was a great reading.

"Should I wait until I’m rich to give back? This is a question I have fought with a lot over the years.
Spending time with the upwardly mobile in places like NYC and LA, one can’t help but believe the consensus: It is better to wait until you have made a lot of money before trying to change the world. The idea (excuse?) is that you can then have a greater impact. But is it really true?"

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...pitalist-should-i-wait-until-im-rich-to-give/

This goes along with the "more than money" thread...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Invest in others along the way. That investment does not have to be money, it can be time, knowledge or support. Small amounts of money can bring great returns and small acts can bring major returns.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Jorge, thank you for posting the link to Ferris's blog. I encourage everyone to click through and read it - good stuff here!

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Does it make sense to give money later rather than sooner?
Maybe but money is the least of what folks on this board have to give.
I consider my time far more valuable than money.

And that, I don't have to wait,
actually couldn't wait to give.

Generous people are generous people from birth.
Either you give to or try to help others or you don't.

Bill Gates has always been generous.
A buddy of mine was plucked from university
and mentored by him and his executives.
This buddy (a MicroSoft millionaire many times over)
is now doing the same.
So what has been more valuable?
The hundreds, maybe thousands of people
Bill Gates has mentored over the years
(and who are today mentoring others)
or the billions he's giving to charity?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Does it make sense to give money later rather than sooner?
Maybe but money is the least of what folks on this board have to give.
I consider my time far more valuable than money.

And that, I don't have to wait,
actually couldn't wait to give.

Generous people are generous people from birth.
Either you give to or try to help others or you don't.

Bill Gates has always been generous.
A buddy of mine was plucked from university
and mentored by him and his executives.
This buddy (a MicroSoft millionaire many times over)
is now doing the same.
So what has been more valuable?
The hundreds, maybe thousands of people
Bill Gates has mentored over the years
(and who are today mentoring others)
or the billions he's giving to charity?

I believe the two can't be compared (time vs money). Both help in many different ways.

The "best path" in my opinion would be like this:

1. Help NOW with little money that I have (I really don't have too much time)
2. Use that time to generate money and get into the fastlane
3. When in fastlane I can help with Money And Time! :hurray:

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I want to add a third component in here for giving: talent.

Jorge, I believe that you have talents that can be used for giving that will set you up for the amazing life you're creating. Also, as you get clearer on the next steps for your business/charity, you might think about finding successful business people in your community that you want to know and then partnering with them (donating your time) to work alongside them in something they care about. You can fastlane networking really well that way.

Kimberland, I'm not sure exactly the form your giving of time is - but I suspect that it also includes your unique gifts.

For me - I'm a good fund-raiser. There is a part of me that loves the roll-up-your-sleeves work we do in Juarez. I tend to be the designated driver, for example, but even that I guess is part "talent." I am very comfortable in Mexico and have no problem getting around and blending in, plus we take our big Denali down so I can pack a bunch of people in. I always seem to end up transporting village kids to the middle school in the next little town, or kids to doctor appointments, or the like..... That's always a lot of fun for me. But, I know the biggest value I bring is the ability to think of new ideas for putting business and charity together and raising money in a new way. So, I guess it's a combination of time and talent.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I want to add a third component in here for giving: talent.

Jorge, I believe that you have talents that can be used for giving that will set you up for the amazing life you're creating. Also, as you get clearer on the next steps for your business/charity, you might think about finding successful business people in your community that you want to know and then partnering with them (donating your time) to work alongside them in something they care about. You can fastlane networking really well that way.

Kimberland, I'm not sure exactly the form your giving of time is - but I suspect that it also includes your unique gifts.

For me - I'm a good fund-raiser. There is a part of me that loves the roll-up-your-sleeves work we do in Juarez. I tend to be the designated driver, for example, but even that I guess is part "talent." I am very comfortable in Mexico and have no problem getting around and blending in, plus we take our big Denali down so I can pack a bunch of people in. I always seem to end up transporting village kids to the middle school in the next little town, or kids to doctor appointments, or the like..... That's always a lot of fun for me. But, I know the biggest value I bring is the ability to think of new ideas for putting business and charity together and raising money in a new way. So, I guess it's a combination of time and talent.

Diane, thanks for the compliments (were they compliments?). Its a good idea, the problem is, the business people that I know here -unfortunately- aren't into charity at all, in fact, I don't know anyone making "big" changes here.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Diane, thanks for the compliments (were they compliments?). Its a good idea, the problem is, the business people that I know here -unfortunately- aren't into charity at all, in fact, I don't know anyone making "big" changes here.

I'm not sure if it's a compliment, if it's true. :smxB:

So, the first thing we need to do is change your frame of reference around the rich and giving. I absolutely guarantee you that there is SOMEONE who is giving money/time/talent to charity SOMEWHERE in Argentina. Too bad you're not in Colombia...I'd give you the assignment of tracking down Shakira.... (She gave $40 million last year to charities.)

Jorge, are you up for the challenge?

Assignment #1: Find the names of 10 people/businesses in Argentina who are doing something, anything, to support some type of positive change/charity in Argentina. (Hint: I went to www.endeavor.org and found that they have 69 entrepreneurs in their program with 85 entrepreneurial mentors in place in Argentina. That's 85 successful Argentinean business owners who are volunteering their time. There has to be more. Start with Google.)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Yes, I'm sure this people exists, I was saying that I haven't met ANY of them. When I was a child, my -catholic- school had a volunteer program to help "buffet's" (don't know how to call them) where poor kids could eat for free. I signed up and at about 15 years old I helped built one (with my own hands, I put the bricks and everything! :) The sad thing about this is that we never got to know anyone. No networking was made.

Ok, enough chit chat, I must find the "fastlane givers"

Cheers!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Ok, since I only have internet on my blacberry right now its kind of difficult to investigate furter, but today I was reading an argentinian entrepreneur blog and he described pretty much my idea! Its a fundation that finds poor kids and helps them get into the best schools from my country.
To my surprise, the director of the fundation is her sister!
As soon as i get back home I'm planning to send him an email since he said they are looking for donations.
Any advice on this Dianne? Should I keep looking for the other 9?
Btw, about endeavor: as far as I could read on their website, they help entrepreneurs with gross income of 1M+ a year!

Hugs!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.