- Joined
- Jan 22, 2014
- Messages
- 6
Rep Bank
$125
$125
User Power: 17%
I've been thinking about this a little and this seems to be the reason why so many people think that wealth comes from luck.
If someone sees you driving up in a BMW 7 series, what are the going to think? "Oh I bet he's an successful entrepreneur" No! They're going to think "Man, he must have a good job!"
Now, we all know that climbing the ladder within the job-environment can be sometimes impossible, even when you work your hardest. There was a topic around here about a guy who worked his socks off for a 5% pay increase, case in point! That's why people get upset when you say "Yeah, I came here trough hard work". They do hard work, but they do it in the wrong field, the job field, they're not playing the right game, but they're doing (or at least think they're doing) their best to win their own game, only not getting the rewards they think they deserve.
So, when someone gets a promotion, it is trough hard work, but it's also trough a certain amount of 'luck' (luck here being a combination of circumstances; it's a good year and the boss has some financial leeway, some poor sap got fired etc. etc.). When someone gets a good job, it might not be because they have the best resume, but also a bit of luck (you happen to be a woman and they need to meet their quota or something like that, also a lot of random circumstances).
So when someone drives up in a BMW 7 Series they're not only think "Man, he must have a good job!" they're also pasting on "Lucky guy."
I know MJ touches upon this in his book, but I thought I'd write this to get a clearer picture of the slowlane mindset, at least how I see it around me.
If someone sees you driving up in a BMW 7 series, what are the going to think? "Oh I bet he's an successful entrepreneur" No! They're going to think "Man, he must have a good job!"
Now, we all know that climbing the ladder within the job-environment can be sometimes impossible, even when you work your hardest. There was a topic around here about a guy who worked his socks off for a 5% pay increase, case in point! That's why people get upset when you say "Yeah, I came here trough hard work". They do hard work, but they do it in the wrong field, the job field, they're not playing the right game, but they're doing (or at least think they're doing) their best to win their own game, only not getting the rewards they think they deserve.
So, when someone gets a promotion, it is trough hard work, but it's also trough a certain amount of 'luck' (luck here being a combination of circumstances; it's a good year and the boss has some financial leeway, some poor sap got fired etc. etc.). When someone gets a good job, it might not be because they have the best resume, but also a bit of luck (you happen to be a woman and they need to meet their quota or something like that, also a lot of random circumstances).
So when someone drives up in a BMW 7 Series they're not only think "Man, he must have a good job!" they're also pasting on "Lucky guy."
I know MJ touches upon this in his book, but I thought I'd write this to get a clearer picture of the slowlane mindset, at least how I see it around me.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
