The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The HyperDoor: Automatic Sliding Door Opener

danielfrenkel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Feb 7, 2018
US
Many here might have seen my other post about the MorningRod

Well, I've also created the HyperDoor which is an automatic sliding door opener that easily attaches to any sliding door. I made it as a way of easily letting my dogs in and out of the home.
View attachment cyberdoor.mp4

HOWEVER, I think both products are bad business ideas and have decided to not move forward with them.

Why? Almost every single hardware product on Kickstarter has failed to deliver or gone out of business. The only way to survive is to figure out a recurring revenue strategy. Otherwise, each door opener will need to sell for $400-$500 to account for the constant customer acquisition costs.

So unless I can figure out a way to generate recurring revenue with these products, most investors will not want to touch them. The problem is that very few people are willing to pay monthly fees.

Nest products are a good example. I own a Nest Doorbell camera. The camera is could-based and provides me with very basic functionality. If I want the better features, they offer a $4/month subscription to get those. In addition, Nest thermostats sell customer usage data to utility companies to generate additional revenue as well.

As many hardware VC companies put it: Hardware needs to be a trojan horse for software, which is what will generate recurring revenue.

However, I don't see anyone paying a monthly fee to use this even though I have to pay a monthly bill for the cloud infrastructure. I also don't see myself selling any type of useful data as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share where I'm at in case anyone is building some kind of complicated piece of hardware. Maybe you guys will have a better idea as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Many here might have seen my other post about the MorningRod

Well, I've also created the HyperDoor which is an automatic sliding door opener that easily attaches to any sliding door. I made it as a way of easily letting my dogs in and out of the home.
View attachment 29320

HOWEVER, I think both products are bad business ideas and have decided to not move forward with them.

Why? Almost every single hardware product on Kickstarter has failed to deliver or gone out of business. The only way to survive is to figure out a recurring revenue strategy. Otherwise, each door opener will need to sell for $400-$500 to account for the constant customer acquisition costs.

So unless I can figure out a way to generate recurring revenue with these products, most investors will not want to touch them. The problem is that very few people are willing to pay monthly fees.

Nest products are a good example. I own a Nest Doorbell camera. The camera is could-based and provides me with very basic functionality. If I want the better features, they offer a $4/month subscription to get those. In addition, Nest thermostats sell customer usage data to utility companies to generate additional revenue as well.

As many hardware VC companies put it: Hardware needs to be a trojan horse for software, which is what will generate recurring revenue.

However, I don't see anyone paying a monthly fee to use this even though I have to pay a monthly bill for the cloud infrastructure. I also don't see myself selling any type of useful data as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share where I'm at in case anyone is building some kind of complicated piece of hardware. Maybe you guys will have a better idea as well.

First thing that comes to mind is to pair this type of device with a suite of hardware products tailored to dogs. Get people to buy into the ecosystem and increase the lifetime value per customer.

You could create a collar which could be RFID based that enables the use of these devices (food dispensing, door opener, camera, etc) and base the collar off a reoccuring revenue stream of $1-$5 a month for GPS tracking if they want to sign up.

The GPS will obviously increase hardware costs and barrier to entry as you have to pass regulatory requirements for wireless communications - but it's completely doable

Roark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 1, 2015
Carlsbad, Ca
These would be great for elderly people who are not strong enough to open sliding doors any more.
I actually had this idea myself,. Might be something you could engineer, design, then sell to a company that would add this to their existing line of products for seniors. Just a thought.

James Orman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2019
What I got out of the Unscripted book is that until you test your product in the market, you won't really know its demand. Have you put it out there yet and found out how many people already want to buy on indiegogo or kickstarter?

It seems a bit like you are creating excuses to yourself not to sell it. You already have a working prototype. Compare that with idiots on kickstarter that make a computer-generated animation of their product lol.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

You're imposing an unnecessary business model here that is overcomplicating things.

If you need to sell this for $400+ for it to be profitable then sell it for that.

This isn't a viable IOT business model, at least not IMO.

For comparison, if you want automatic blinds installed (which are pure luxury), that costs about $500 per window if you're going for an integrated solution, or $250-$300/window if you're doing something aftermarket.

And this is a bigger painkiller than automatic blinds are, especially for the elderly, wheelchair bound folks, etc.

The blinds themselves cost in the hundreds for each window, so a few hundred bucks for this wouldn't shock anyone. You can probably go much higher than that.

It sounds like you don't know your market well enough to be making the claims you're making.

Stop being an inventor and talk to actual people that will either buy this or can distribute it (the hundreds of blind-installation companies around the country come to mine...)

You had this same problem with another product too

danielfrenkel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Feb 7, 2018
US
You're imposing an unnecessary business model here that is overcomplicating things.

If you need to sell this for $400+ for it to be profitable then sell it for that.

This isn't a viable IOT business model, at least not IMO.

For comparison, if you want automatic blinds installed (which are pure luxury), that costs about $500 per window if you're going for an integrated solution, or $250-$300/window if you're doing something aftermarket.

And this is a bigger painkiller than automatic blinds are, especially for the elderly, wheelchair bound folks, etc.

The blinds themselves cost in the hundreds for each window, so a few hundred bucks for this wouldn't shock anyone. You can probably go much higher than that.

It sounds like you don't know your market well enough to be making the claims you're making.

Stop being an inventor and talk to actual people that will either buy this or can distribute it (the hundreds of blind-installation companies around the country come to mine...)

You had this same problem with another product too

Everyone I know has said they would never pay $400, but again, I have not talked to blinds installers which is what I will do. You are right, I do not know the market well enough at the moment and did not think to talk to the installers themselves

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Trekkies might go for it lol

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
These would be great for elderly people who are not strong enough to open sliding doors any more.
I actually had this idea myself,. Might be something you could engineer, design, then sell to a company that would add this to their existing line of products for seniors. Just a thought.
OP listen to this 100%.

Both of your inventions sound more like accessibility devices than smart home devices.

I would 100% patent this, optimize the design and function, and go for a licensing agreement with a larger company and distribution network.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Everyone I know has said they would never pay $400, but again, I have not talked to blinds installers which is what I will do.

Everyone you know can open a door so no reason for them to think too deeply about your question.

I just Googled for this type of thing and the first two I click on have prices equal or exceeding $400

I won't link the others but prices are all over the place.

So a market exists in the US. Nothing unique in your idea like almost all ideas.

Now look how dreadful their websites are.

This is an area you can do much better in. @Fox can probably recommend someone in his group to chat to you if you do not know how to do a decent site.

Additionally and already mentioned, are the other distribution channels which I suspect the above are doing.

Dan

danielfrenkel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Feb 7, 2018
US
Are these patented? Are you interested in licensing them out and collecting a royalty. Or even selling the full rights?

I have a provisional patent at the moment and would like to license. Have not found anyone yet though, but as others have said, looking into accessibility companies is probably where I should be looking

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I have a provisional patent at the moment and would like to license. Have not found anyone yet though, but as others have said, looking into accessibility companies is probably where I should be looking

Private message me the terms and costs.

What I want to know: Cost per each device. What your royalty is. What the warranty is. If I have to manufacture it. Etc.

I'll talk to a couple people and see what they think.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

DM me the same info you're sending AgainstAllOdd, and I can do the same.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think your products are awesome. They're just not marketed well. I really like the idea of bringing in a partner, or licensing the product to someone that will pay you royalties.

I could easily see that door opener device used at a retirement community.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.