The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Great Rat-Race Escape by MJ DeMarco, Now Available (All formats!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
change the IPhone 3G

That's what was "new" in 2008. Any other model puts it outside the time range. There is no iPhone 5 or some other "newer model" in 2008.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Ever since the Kindle announcement, I've been eagerly waiting for June 29th (I want a physical copy).

I'd be homeless and I'd sell my shoes to start a lemonade stand to afford MJ's next book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ did it again. This new book is done so well that I might consider it the best book so far, and the previous ones weren't easy to beat at all. The storytelling really attaches extra emotions to the concepts and deposits them deeper into you. I'm loving it and it will guide me in my life like the other two books. I'm not quite "living the dream" so far, but I started a business that is doing decently after 3 years, I know it will get better if I keep following the advice, and I owe pretty much everything to "my virtual uncle MJ" for the mindset his books gave me.

PS: I hope an audiobook version comes soon!

Thank you... the emotional part of the story was the hardest part (it's a business book!) so I had to interject a sub-plot drama which, as you probably could guess, was the riskiest part of the book.

Ultimately, I wanted the reader to feel a wide scale of emotions from anxiety, sorrow, to sadness, to happiness and jubilation. To do that, I had to go into an area most wouldn't dare to tread...

Glad you hear you've got a business churning along...

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Just got the audio book. I love when the author is also the one who reads the book Audible.

The part where you said that you got seasonal depression when living in Chicago really hit home for me.

I'm living in Ireland and I get really down and negative in winter. I think I have to move.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
The 11 Minutes is very real...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyhow, that is not the reason for posting. The one thing that intrigued me the most is you mentioned some guy named "Wolfgang Druckenheimer" who discovered the cure for cancer.

:rofl: You must of have missed the section in the book where I say "Wolfgang and his cure are fictional" -- not sure what page is on, but I'm 100% sure it states this.

Glad you found value in the book. :)

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 8, 2019
The MailCheat(Chimp) Subscribers Box isn't working properly. I can't use any of my email addresses.

1. Error tells me, that I have to enter a valid email adresse. Maybe the user box for email query is actually for login purposes?

2. Please make the subscription Box more mobile friendly. I can't see the first two letters when I tip in the email adresse or the name on the left side.

P.S. Can't wait for the new Book. I'm jacked to the tits.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I'm already on the list, will I get access to an advanced copy as well? Or do I have to sign up additionally on the link?

Advanced copies will be limited, but if you act fast whenever the email comes, you should be able to get one.

Advanced copies will also be limited to how fast I can acquire stock, the printing queue at my printer is backlogged. So I might be limited here.

Thanks for spotting the error as well.

How do these read in Kindle format?

Like any other Kindle book I would guess. Sounds like you are like me, I prefer paperbacks and Audiobook over e-readers.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if I'm being perfectly honest I probably shouldn't read this book since I've already read MJ's other two and I strongly doubt there's going to be a ton of new actionable info, meaning reading this would for me basically just be another form of action-faking and procrastinating...

There's some new info but essentially it's a new format to crystallize and watch the Fastlane/Unscripted philosophy in action with a true-to-life story.

Will you create a new profile tag on the forum "I read Unscripted 2"?

I will.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Didn't preorder.

Although I have had a love affair with Kindle for many years, some books are reserved for "indulging" in a comfy chair and relishing them - piece by piece. Others I order through Kindle, not expecting to reread them much, if at all.

It appears I can only order the Kindle version. So, although I had planned to preorder, I will have to wait for a hard copy I guess.

See - there is a happy ending after all! In the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock, the opening had to be shocking to get your attention.

Want to really make this special? I want an autographed copy. Don't make me drive over there - I know where you live.

Of course - congratulations of the highest order for this long-awaited masterpiece. For practical value, I am looking forward to savoring this magnum opus over and over. This is not a work to be hastily read on an electronic screen. The description alone is almost too much to bear!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Can I change my forum name to Jeff Trotman?

Because this is going to be epic. I feel you need some editing in some place but really like the format.

It's bit like Patrick Leoncini's management books. The story really drives it home.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A little backstory...

When I originally started writing the story in this book, my goal was to take the introductory story (Chapter 1) from Unscripted Book 1 and carry it forward.

But then I realized writing about a single man with little responsibility (no wife, no family, no kids) was taking the easy way out.

So the book starts out very similarly to Unscripted Book 1 (the guy jolted awake in the morning) but it carries forward with entirely different circumstances, namely a child coming due and a dead marriage looming...

And here's more info (copied from the thread on the INSIDE).

On reflection, I tried to make the book resemble the 1999 blockbuster movie, the Titanic. In that production, the central story is about a sinking boat, but the side-plot is a love story.

In this book, the central story is about escaping the rat-race, but the side-plot is how one couple reignites their marriage and deals with past traumas.
Wow, just the concept alone gives me chills man. This is a lot deeper and more meaningful than if you stuck with the "easy way" single man story.

Can't wait to read it!!

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Got the kindle version and love it so far! Great work MJ.

Just got the audio book. I love when the author is also the one who reads the book Audible.

The part where you said that you got seasonal depression when living in Chicago really hit home for me.

I'm living in Ireland and I get really down and negative in winter. I think I have the move

I can confirm that living in Ireland does indeed suck! Just back from a few weeks in Spain and even the summers here aren't great.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
@MJ DeMarco I've spent a few hours listening to the book and in my opinion, this book is by far my favorite.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I loved the book, and it was cool to hear how the audible version had MJ reading the nonfiction chapters and the other narrator reading the fiction chapters. It was done very well and it's now easy to reference again with all the short chapters being clearly labeled.

Thanks Nick, means a lot to me!

To me it is the best of the 3 books. I fell in love with TMFL and I felt like Unscripted was a brilliant follow up, but this on is better than both.

Thanks, that's always my goal is to make better books that are more understandable and relatable for someone who might be struggling in a dead-end job.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.

Thank you!

At first I was kind of rolling my eyes, finding it a little cheesy, but the Trotmans began to feel like real people to me, and I found myself rooting for them and empathizing with them—I even shed a few tears at one point.

Thank you!

The story was my huge challenge. I had to keep brevity in mind otherwise the book would be too big, but I also had to try to develop interesting characters that the reader cared about and/or wanted to know about.

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
One thing I like to annotate here: where else can you get in direct contact with the author of multiple bestselling books? This already shows, how "different" MJs approach is. Kudos to him not only for the great works but also his approach

Just saying....

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

testuser

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 23, 2015
Hey MJ,

Not expected to post anything on this forum (not sure if this is the right thread) but something intrigued me about your new book. I'm about 75% in. Great read overall. I have read TMF some years ago. Failed some businesses since. Did finally quit my day job last year and could live of a mediocre affiliate website (not making CENTS I know..) in travelling which actually performed pretty good, until COVID hits.... Now working on a new business that makes CENTS in the financial/trading industry as I gained a lot of knowledge about this the last few years and saw many problems during this period (especially for beginning traders). Also learned a lot about online marketing and selling my knowledge as a freelancer in the meantime. I actually never stopped persuing starting and/or improving my ventures ever since. So thanks for that :)

One thing that intrigued me is that the Trottmans represents the life I currently have. When I started reading TMF I was single, now I have a girlfriend and two kids. Can tell that this makes a huge difference pursuing the fastlane and certainly complicates things. I also lived frugally and started saving money some years before reading TMF and starting my first "business".

Anyhow, that is not the reason for posting. The one thing that intrigued me the most is you mentioned some guy named "Wolfgang Druckenheimer" who discovered the cure for cancer. Might sound weird but cancer always intrigued me. Not that anyone I know or myself has cancer or anything but because so many people are dying of it. So one of my live goals is to prevent getting cancer (as far as I can control it) by living healthy etc. But for some reason, I can't find any information on "Wolfgang Druckenheimer" and his cure. It's like he was deleted from the internet on purpose by Big Pharma... i'm really intrigued what his cure is. But can't find it anywhere. Could you share any information on this guy and his cure (or where to find it)?

Thanks!

P.s. your new book inspired me once again to dedicate my time to things that matter. I was drifting for the last twelve months or so. Mainly because COVID wrecked my business but also missing a spark. Reading your new book fired that spark again. Most productive week I had in months!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jul 30, 2019
Hi MJ,

Thank you for your books and creating this forum for us. Your books are definitely my life-changer. Your books opened the door to many possibilities in the entrepreneur world that I didn't even think was possible before. Yes, no doubt the journey is challenging, but like you said, I rather die failing than not trying.

Your 3As strategy doesn't just apply to business. It can be apply to almost everything that required problem solving!! I used it when I failed a test, in poor friendships, and even when I have a bad day to troubleshoot what went wrong and how I can improve. It is so, so useful in my life and changed the way how I approach the world.

I love your tone, animated voice, energy. Your voice is chill, yet powerful, not like some intellectual college professor who bore you to sleep, but actually like my close friend giving me the wake up call. The Sam and Jeff story was a killer. There is no better way than how you format it in the book. That story really open my eyes that anything is possible with the right mindset and strategies.

Thank you again! I will definitely keep your strategies in mind as I continue fighting for my freedom.

Cheers!
Bang

I want to emphasize what he is saying. When I first laid my hands on TMF two years ago, it was a new beginning for me, a journey with this incredible community.

This forum gave me hope by showing all the possibilities and differents stories that happened, and really unlocked my will to learn and do, the smartiest way possible.

I’m at the point where failing doesn’t really matter anymore, because I know I'll get something out of it.

I'm realizing that results matter more than social conventions.

This place is awesome and I’m so glad I found it before I fell into traps of bro-MLM-whatever-gurus

The Fastlane concept and community is definitely an incredible entry point for all entrepreneurial considerations

Thanks to the people who keep this place alive and special thanks to @MJ DeMarco for busting me out of depression 2 years ago. You really have huge impact on people lives

(and furthermore you used to like Hip-Hop but that's not the point hahaha)

Your new book is very ordered and I will not fail to tell people about it

Last edited:

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I got the Audible version and I'm listening for the 3rd time! It's easy to follow, it's so detailed, and every teaching in it you can apply to your life right away. It goes into business but also how to live a successful life like how to not let your past keep you down and how to marry the right person which were amazing bonuses as those are things I'm working on right now too so now I have no need to get books on those subjects. Get your copy now!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.