The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Fastlane Needs Revenue Sharing!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Cmbilt said:
I have another problem . . .What happens when [someone] writes in the fastlane and tries to give advice on something they do not fully understand? Wouldnt this mis-interpreted advice be just as bad as spam? Not all advice is good advice.

Cmbilt, please look at the number of thoughtful and considerate responses to your original thread question.

And I think you may have the answers to your above questions.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cmbilt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 25, 2008
You really want to become rich by receiving $0.10 each week from a forum?

.10 each week = .40 a month = $4.80 a year = dinner at Taco Bell not coming from my wallet :smash:

Cmbilt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 25, 2008
Cmbilt, please look at the number of thoughtful and considerate responses to your original thread question.

And I think you may have the answers to your above questions.

-Russ H.

Looked and couldn't find anything about teenagers contributing to this forum the same way many experienced business men do. Guess we all bring different talents to the fastlane which make this forum so useful and laughable.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Cmbilt said:
Looked and couldn't find anything about teenagers contributing to this forum the same way many experienced business men do. Guess we all bring different talents to the fastlane which make this forum so useful and laughable.

(sigh) My guess is you haven't met any teenagers (and young 20-somethings) who are into web businesses and are pulling down six figures a year. Passively.

Or maybe you have. And haven't realized it.

Cmbilt said:
Russ H said:
I am not yet retired, and spend most of my driving time in an 8 year old Ford.

By your definition, I am also not "fastlane".

Yes you are in the slow lane. Pennies make dollars, dollars make money. As soon as people start caring about bringing in multi-sources of income, whether it be dollars or pennies, then they achieve the ultimate goal of my fastlane.

Made my day. Thanks. :smx2:

RE: Fast or Slow lanes, and what you drive:

Last year when I was in Phoenix, SteveO (another contributor to the fastlane forums) drove me around in his older Honda. We looked at some of his 500+ apt units. He specifically drives this car to check on this properties. As I drive my Ford Excursion to pick up things.

What you drive does not correlate to how fast (or slow) you're investment plan is moving.

Oh, and you may want to check us out a bit before you start labeling us as "slowlane". :)

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
For further insight into what we are dealing with here, cmbilt is the one who tried to callout kidgas for spam when he asked for feedback on his idea. There appears to be a disruptive agenda here, but maybe that is just me.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
I have another problem with this and so I am going to edit and see what everyone thinks. Everyone has said the great content and advice here is what makes this site so unique and special. What happens when someone post something on here trying to give advice and being totally wrong? What happens when a teenager writes in the fastlane and tries to give advice on something they do not fully understand? Wouldnt this type of fastlane material be a detrimental to the source of innovation that this forum tends to be founded on? Wouldnt this mis-interpreted advice be just as bad as spam? Not all advice is good advice.

Our experience with this has been positive to date. We have a few teenagers who post, but we know they're teenagers, and frankly they've made good contributions. They're here to learn too, and as long as there are enough experienced investors still wiling to share their knowledge, they will point out when someone is off base. The current environment still fosters their participation.

While this potential does exist, you bring it up as though your suggestion will extinguish it, how so? Your suggestion would seem to be more like Kerosene than a fire extinquisher to this point you raise.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I think hes just upset those "spammy"teenagers have a higher speed rep then he does...

personally if I recieve good or great advice or insights I dont care if the person is 15 or 55 as long as the advice is solid. thats up to me or anyone else to decide based on the imput not their ages.

theres many things anyone can contribute here. and mostly the teens I see posting here are at the same level alot of us are they just got there faster!

its like saying no matter what I say about cars is wrong cause I am a woman. well this woman happens to know an auto mechanic intimately and if I posted it its becuase I know its true. does it make a difference that I am not the actual mechanic?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, what the frick happened in here? How'd this thread get so f'ckd up?

I will reiterate; my concern of having "revenue sharing" is it promotes the wrong type of postings/poster. The multi-millionaires here (whether labeled or not) will not post more or less due to revenue sharing.

As for the actual idea of revenue sharing itself and in defense of the original poster --- its a great idea but just not suited for this forum which was created to promote QUALITY over QUANTITY. Instituting rev sharing here would be counterproductive to the forum's original mission.

Revenue sharing works great in many types of web environments, like Pleben.com for example, or a site that posts restaurant reviews (Users would get a rev share off your
personal dining reviews) ...

I could see a rev share on book reviews or other rich content (like interviews with successful people) or "share your story" postings. However, for random postings, no.

For anyone who is attempting to build content rich sites (with lesser focus on quality) revenue sharing is an effective approach to be considered. Please do not dismiss the idea as poor ... it just would contradict this forum's mission despite its ability to increase activity.

Cmbilt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 25, 2008
I think hes just upset those "spammy"teenagers have a higher speed rep then he does...

How did you know? :smx6:

I enjoyed the car story. I should have specified earlier that I know cars do not determine or show a person's wealth, rather a person's mindframe. I myself drive different cars according to the purpose of my destination. However, I still find it contradicting to say that this forum's mission is to promote quality while letting teenagers post horrible advice for other members. Although, I do understand everyone's point. This will be my last post to this thread.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Ive not seen any instance of anyone posting horrible advice in here. teenager or otherwise.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
:smash::smash::smash:please refrain from the following::smash::smash::smash:​

• Personal attacks.
  • "General attacks" on a certain demographic (teenagers, etc.)
  • Attacks on the quality of this forum. If you don't like it. Leave. Quietly.

Lets keep this thread productive and free of time wasting junk. The general population is getting restless and reporting this thread. There COULD be some value here - as Kimber has pointed out - so keep it going in that direction so that we don't have to lock the thread, lose out on a potentially interesting conversation and feed everyone liver and spinach.

Interesting points....

• Revenue sharing if you are a website owner. Benefits? Pitfalls?
  • What else can business / website owners implement along these same lines?
  • How do you evaluate information / advise received - on a forum and otherwise?

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
I guess the point of my previous post fell through the loops in this thread...exchanging time for money (posting for pennies) is not fastlane. So, how does the idea even apply to this site? Regardless of the fact that it is 'something different', you are essentially awarding yourself another JOB, EARNING money.

-John

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
well it could be argued that it would be a passive income stream. once the posts are done they live here essentially forever potentiially getting read 4 yrs from now and giving those pennies.

if its a post in an ongoing thread with alot of interest then that expectation goes up even further from pennies to dollars.

as mj said it may be a good revenue model for a different type of forum or site. its just not the best plan for this one.

imagine if everyone who was thought to post bad advice posted 10x more to make a dollar instead of pennies. the people who post here now are doing it to help others expand their understanding or knowledge. or to change their way of thought. not for monitary gain.

throw monitary gain into the mix and you have people posting on everything for no other reason other then to get their ads noticed. it would bring the quality of this forum down imo. and then instead of reading a post of general help you wonder did they only post that to get in on this thread or is their info/opinion for real?

as far as the question around the world posted. the way I evaulate advice is to take what Ive read and research it for myself. either thru asking more questions or google or other forums. I dont think anyone here takes anything anyone says as gospel. if they do its the readers fault for not verifying the info not the poster.

the best info in the world if not understood or applied correctly can be disasterous. even if the info itself is correct!

even wrong info posts are helpful becuase most of the times it creates a discussion that brings out more facts, points, things to think about and someone will usually post the correct info in following posts. or question the info for everyone to come to a conclusion of what the right info is. so even the bad advice posts can be extremely helpful imo.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have always appreciated the generosity of the contibutors on this board. I thought that most of us understood that the free exchange of ideas here could and would lead us all closer to the fastlane. I am a teacher at my JOB and I know that even when I am teaching I am learning. So, by extension, even when I am sharing knowledge here I am learning at the same time. I would be concerned about mixing profits directly into the posts and how it could affect the quality of the information exchanged here.

All in all, I guess this is really about growing pains for this forum and with growth comes the good and not so good. I do hope everyone has a great weekend.:cheers:

Greg

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Thanks for the support Russ, I appreciate it.

I have nothing to add to this discussion except that Yankees338 is the only teenager I know of on here, and I have been frequently impressed with the quality of his thoughts and posts. I think he will be rich some day. In any event he is a valuable contributor here. Judging by his speed rep I am not the only one who thinks so.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was going to add my insights to this discussion, but since that would take me 30 minutes to write and I'm not getting paid, I'm just going to leave this response.

:coco:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I was going to add my insights to this discussion, but since that would take me 30 minutes to write and I'm not getting paid, I'm just going to leave this response.

:coco:
:rofl:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Thanks for the support Russ, I appreciate it.

I have nothing to add to this discussion except that Yankees338 is the only teenager I know of on here, and I have been frequently impressed with the quality of his thoughts and posts. I think he will be rich some day. In any event he is a valuable contributor here. Judging by his speed rep I am not the only one who thinks so.
Thanks!!!!

There are three others on here that are pretty active participants: NerdSmasher, bpk, and djs. I know there have a been a couple of others that signed up, but I they don't post much.

I just try to contribute where I can, and I stay away from areas that I don't know. However, since I've started here, my knowledge has grown so much that I now feel comfortable enough sharing information about topics that I've never really had any interest in; I've just been picking up all sorts of knowledge from reading everything that people have to offer.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
Revenue sharing would be terrible for this forum, and I don't see the need for it. It would just take away from the rep system that's designed to reward for quality postings. Revenue sharing rewards for quantity. I oppose.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I've followed this thread and, to be honest, been a little puzzled by it. I feel like I have gotten "revenue sharing", just not in the form of an actual check.

The main reason that I post on someone else's forum is to build my own community. There I've said it - that's my selfish motivation. And at the same time, I want to be very respectful of whose house I'm in. MJ built this, it's moderated by volunteers who do a fantastic job, by the way, and contributed to by people with amazing gifts and knowledge from around the world.

The thing I never expected was the information and insight I received here that has changed how I do business. And that's what I mean by revenue sharing. My context has expanded. I'm looking at eBiz in a way I never did before. www.FeedYourFamilyFeedtheWorld.com showed me how easy and quick a business/social purpose connection could be forged in this new world. I've learned from some innovative thinkers here - I hate to start listing because I'm afraid I'll leave someone out. I have genuine fondness for so many of you and a few (much smaller percentage) frustrate the h*** out of me. Hey, that reminds me of my family!

So, that's my revenue sharing - a sense of community, new understanding and a new project about to be debuted. Thank you all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.