The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Dream by Gurbash Chahal

For any book discussion

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
If you haven't read this book, read it now. It's his story of how he sold his company at age 16 for $40 million and later sold his second company for $300 million to Yahoo!

I had this book sitting in my iBooks for quite some time, but never got to reading it until tonight. I haven't finished it yet. In fact, I've only read the first two chapters of the book and the chapter titled "A New CEO" has so much fastlane value. I felt the need to pause reading it to come on here and tell you all about it. In this chapter, he tells the story, in detail, of how he started his online advertising company from the ground up and all the lessons he learned.

I'll let you guys read it yourselves because summarizing it for you won't do it justice, but below are some of the golden nuggets I've gotten from it so far:
  • He didn't come up with a new and innovative idea. Instead, he saw that a lot of internet companies were valued at ridiculous amounts and focused on one specifically that was a giant in the online advertising space. He figured he could mimic this giant, fly under the radar and capture a piece of the pie. And so he did. Keep in mind, he was 16 years old at the time.
  • He thought big and acted small
  • He had a lot of barriers (age, religion, race) and didn't know what he was doing, yet he persevered at all costs because he believed in himself.
    • He picked up the phone and made phone calls even though he was shit scared
    • He deepened his voice and used an American name so people didn't write him off at first glance
    • He did everything to make sure on the surface, outsiders viewed his company as a serious and big player (professional website, phone #, voice-mail, etc.) even though he was a one man operation
  • He thought long-term yet moved forward with a deep sense of urgency
    • Even when he was making $100k to $200k per month, he remained grounded and focused on the long-term vision rather than getting caught up in the early wins
  • He faced significant obstacles and failures, but he remained calm and focused on finding a solution
    • Expect the unexpected
    • Own your mistakes
    • Be frugal, not cheap (spend money on hiring the right people, not on fancy office furniture)
I'm only 83 pages in, but this is what I've gotten from it so far and I imagine the rest of the book has much more value in it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
@pds Been following Gurbash Chahal's work for a while now and even he's on my instagram list. I'll look up his book. Thanks for the recommendation....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.