The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Blind Rat-Race

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I don't know if this forum is appropriate place for horror stories, but I'll fire one on anyways. I am probably posting this story on this forum, because I feel somewhat annoyed and most of my friends that could listen me out are side-walkers and would not understand my point anyways. Here it goes:

Two years ago a friend of mine (28yo now) was on a social welfare scheme and had no job. He was crying loud that he has no money to buy nice things (irregardless of the fact that he was getting 180euro social welfare payment on a weekly basis and was living with his parents so didn't need to pay for rent and/or food). Fair play I thought...I'll help this friend I thought...

Fast forward... A year back I found him job in a local factory. It shouldn't be my business,but he earns more than 500e a week now, pays only 200e for rent and works only across the road (3km to be precise). Guess what?! He's in a MORE DEBT than two years back - when he was unemployed... I was like wtf, mate?! Now, he was crying that he doesn't make enough cash...wait a moment I thought...I was working while studying in uni and managed to save 10k euro in two years while fully supporting myself and this young lad can't save a dime in a year?!

I think all of us know what's wrong with this fella: poor financial intelligence leads to brutal financial choices.

I don't really have fast-laner friends in my life, yet... Most 'friends' make fun of me that I save more than I spend, laugh at me that I drive a bike (it's still cool bike, spent 1k a year ago - aka biggest expense), I don't buy new clothes (if I do, I buy from some charity - it's "win-win" for me and for good cause I guess) and I try to make proper emotionless financial choices... Maybe I am an alien :D

My brain processes information like this: "No value = not worth my Benjamins" I leave emotions at home when I go out shopping :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

Someone read Rich Dad Poor Dad.

You've wasted your time with him and you've unfortunately wasted your time with this thread, and I have wasted my time typing a response.

God bless you :innocent: :halo:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Someone read Rich Dad Poor Dad.

You've wasted your time with him and you've unfortunately wasted your time with this thread, and I have wasted my time typing a response.

God bless you :innocent: :halo:

Actually, I think you provided a good suggestion - I should have given him that book instead of a job. Btw, loved this book :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I should have given him that book instead of a job.

I find that people who are given books don't read them-- unless they specifically asked for it.

Your post is actually not uncommon nor surprising.

Frustrating, can be. All we can do is focus on our reality.

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
Give a man a fish - You'll feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish - you'll feed him for a lifetime.

I think this quote relates very well to the suggestion of handing him the book instead :p

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Give a man a fish - You'll feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish - you'll feed him for a lifetime.

I think this quote relates very well to the suggestion of handing him the book instead :p

Are you serious?

There's a big difference in giving someone a handout and teaching them something.

In either case if they don't want to learn, they won't.

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
Are you serious?

There's a big difference in giving someone a handout and teaching them something.

In either case if they don't want to learn, they won't.

I guess it depends, you're right; if they don't want to learn they wont and nothing will change.

However; getting him a higher payout didn't help him either.

I guess, you just can't help some people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.