The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The australianinvestor method of starting a business

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Writing your own business plan by yourself is a amateur activity for wanna-be business moguls. You hear of people slaving away for months/years on plans that are hundreds of pages long, full of technical language, and therefore, "excellent" beyond belief.

I have been there, and it took me ten years of doing it before I learned my lesson. I have lost count long ago, but I've probably written 100 or more business plans in one form or another. I was a business idea factory. I'd get an idea, drop the previous one I was working on and start writing another plan.

Here's a method I developed after many years of planning, starting, running, and selling/closing businesses.

1. Write an outline of your business concept/idea.
Nothing big, just a page or two on what activity and related activities will make the business money. If you read and analyse your concept and it seems like it won't work, re-work it or don't proceed to the next step. If you have multiple business ideas, do this for all of them. Read and critically analyse them all, and tear up the seven worst ones. If you can decide on a clear winner, great. If not, you can optionally test all three in the next step (although it's written for one idea - just repeat for three ideas, but don't take your time).

2. Test the concept
Sell your product or service. Find customers. If you plan to make widgets, go find customers to buy your non-existent widgets at 25% (arbitrary number) off with a delivery date months into the future. If you can sell it, you are proving the concept could be viable. Do not spend the money you get yet. Make sure you can refund it if you can't deliver. If the results suck, kill the idea and move on. Do not keep dreaming about doing it. Let it go.

Only proceed to the next step if pre-sales really convince you the idea is viable (well, market-accepted, at least). I hear rumours that pre-selling stuff you don't own / that doesn't exist is illegal in places in the US. Find out for yourself, but it seems to me that it is just folklore from non-business people. That said, I'm not in the US and have no real idea.

3. Build a team
Make a list of people you'd like on your team, ensuring each one has the skills needed to cover each important area. List multiple names for each job - shoot for really good people first. Don't worry about money yet. Take your concept document and pre-sales records to them, and ask them to sign a letter of interest or something like that - non-binding, they don't have to do anything and won't get sued. Take the letter from the first person, along with the concept plan and the pre-sales record and get the next person to (symbolically, for now) join your team. With the team located, call a meeting, get everyone to meet each other, generate some excitement for the mission ahead. The mission is to plan and start the business.

4. Get your team to write the business plan
Every team member is briefed on the mission and basic strategy which you will design. They are then given the task of working on their own section of the plan, and turning it into a coherent whole.

5. Shop for seed money (optional)
Depending on how much you need, you might need different funding strategies. Leverage your team here. They might have contacts and cash of their own. Raise some seed money from them and their contacts, and bank it.

6. Shop for big money
You now have a concept which has been proven with paid pre-sales, cash in the bank, a good team, and a well-written business plan with 5 or more names of good people listed on the cover. Go see a VC, a bank, hard money lenders, whoever you have to in order to get the right finance for your plan.

7. Execute the plan.

This method has obviously been described in a very simple/brief manner, so don't be a knucklehead and follow it blindly. Use your brains, do your due diligence, and see if it's right for you.

It sure beats the old way: spend months/years writing a bad plan, burn out, never look at it again / get another idea, do that instead.

I was thinking about writing a book on this (real, paper book)
Would you pay $20-$25 retail for a real book (made out of paper, delivered by Amazon) like this that explained this in detail? Remember, it'll be written by a guy who has an MBA from our equivalent of the Ivy League (and one of the top universities in the world), who has written LOADS of business plans, started, operated and sold companies internationally, and who now teaches at the same excellent university (paid, but just for fun)?

If so, what would you like to see in it? (I might make a focus group from some members here who'll get a free copy in exchange for ideas and opinions on the draft).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Info is good but I didn't learn anything I can't learn for free. You need something more original I guess. Take a look at book Crush it by Gary Vaynerchuk, he made it best seller but mostly because of his previous speaking, free videos and engagement with people. Find something that differentiates you, maybe a personal story, share your business success and failures in a story and maybe that will work;)

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Thanks Gym Junkie. The plan shown above isn't the original part, that's why I've written it here for all to see :) I haven't given away my secrets :)

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
I find it that #2 would be difficult to make it work most of the times, especially in this economy...
I just think the discount wouldn't be enough for them to give you money in advance...
Care to elaborate more on that?
Thanks.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I find it that #2 would be difficult to make it work most of the times, especially in this economy...
I just think the discount wouldn't be enough for them to give you money in advance...
Care to elaborate more on that?
Thanks.

A discount is just one example of an enticement for them to place an order. They don't need to know the product/service isn't ready yet. You can just tell them it won't ship for 3 months or something. Another enticement might be that you are the only provider of that product or service in your market. Either way, not having a product is still a barrier to making a sale, but if you can still make sales despite this, it helps prove that your concept could be feasible. It actually works to your advantage for it to be a bit more difficult.

The enticement to buy is really a combination of many factors, including the product/service design, market factors, marketing, etc., but I just simplified the situation and said "discount" because it's easy to explain and offering a discount for delayed delivery is probably one of the primary tools to make it happen.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks Gym Junkie. The plan shown above isn't the original part, that's why I've written it here for all to see :) I haven't given away my secrets :)

Oh..good! But then you need to hook people up with mentioning something new, just part of it, etc ;)

rod_lleyton

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Australia/New Zealand
I'd like to read it (maybe because it will have an Australian focus? lol) - are you still writing?

How big do you think the book will be? My initial thoughts are that the book will be huge (hence more costs for you too). Even the "shop for money" chapter could be a book in itself, where you outline how to get government grants, angel investors, venture capital, private equity etc. That's already a lot of concepts to go through to cover all your bases.

Got a few more things I had in mind, but thought I'd leave it at that for the moment :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I think a lot of what you wrote there is already in the Westpac business booklet, although that's quite vague and geared towards obtaining finance from them (obviously).

Forbes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 3, 2010
What makes AUS method diff from others? Is it because you don't rely much on motivation?

You should give fastlane members free copies after you're done with the book :)

cheers mate!

TheSeaKing

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 4, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thank you australianinvestor.

I've read through this and can't agree more with tip #2. This is the stage our business is at and we're going to be contacting major wholesalers and retailers in our market with the goal of drumming up some pre-sales, letters of intent and see if we can get some hard facts about our market size.

If you're working (like us) in a market where it's hard to find real market data or get an idea of market breadth you should start contacting existing suppliers and potential customers and vampire them for information (to thank them for their time you may want to provide discounts or "early-adopter" style bonus's)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.