The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thank you

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
As some of you already know, my Father passed away a few weeks ago, after the roughest ten years he could have possibly endured. To say my world turned upside down for a short while is an understatement. I spent a week in a complete fog, trying to come to peace with things and yet having to keep it together for my family (returning to a family members quiet and empty home after they pass is one of the saddest things you could ever experience). Needless to say, it has been a very rough month. I just wanted to say thank you to all of the members who reached out to me the past couple of weeks with PM's and emails, both here and on LP. It is overwhelming sometimes to see how much members of an online forum can pull together to support someone.

That being said, my Father was a mentor to me my entire life, and is the #1 reason I refuse to ever give up on anything. An Entrepreneur to the core, he refused to ever work for someone else, and spent years trying to convince my Family that he was on the verge of something big. Over the years, I think I was the only one in the family who ever truly understood him.. (to so many others, he was just a dreamer. A long-time failed entrepreneur who was too stubborn to give up). Neither of my parents went to college, so my family was very poor while I was growing up. With no savings or support to fall back on, my Dad used to tell me that although some of his ideas should have made him a millionaire; he was just "never able to weather the storm" and get his businesses off the ground. (one of the big reasons Im such an advocate now of having a SAFETY NET, ie; good credit score, open credit lines, savings to pay your bills those first couple of months, a degree to fall back on if s*@t hits the fan, etc.).

Looking back, I'm sure the arrival of my Twin sister and I on the scene in his 30's didnt help his financial situation. lol

Even in his last months when he knew he didnt have much time left, my Father continued to work hard on a book that he was SURE was going to turn his life around, as well as several other marketing/sales ventures he'd been working on for years.

Anyways, heres a :cheers: to a man that truly inspired me to break the norm, and someone Ive always looked up to. When I park a Lamborghini in my garage some day, Ill have him to thank for making me believe it was ever possible.

RIP Dad.

On a lighter note, I hope to be around alot more in the coming weeks. Ive missed you guys. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Rest in peace to your Father Mike.

Dad sounds like a great man that pursued dreams and didn't let failure stop those dreams. I did not have a father and reading this makes me realized what I missed.

What's going to happen with the book? Will you finish?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Wow, Mike. I somehow missed this earlier. So sorry to hear about your dad. Having lost both of my parent in the past couple of years, I can totally relate to the pain of loss and void. What a lovely tribute you've written to him here, though. I'm sure you'll do him proud and finish the dream he started. He sounds like our kinda people.

Sincere condolences.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
My dad died when I was 10-11 years old. He took his life in his car, he gased himself to death. I never liked him so I am happy there are people out there who have loving fathers. For me they seem to be in big abundance and that is good:).

I never liked my dad because he had a knack of beating me senseless many times and he also had a knack of abusing me mentally. And no, I never was a troublemaker. Quite the opposite, I always tried to be the most helpful guy around. I was called "smiling face" when I was younger because I never wanted people to think ill of me and the best way to make people like you, I thought, was through being as nice and generous as possible. I quickly realised how wrong that was. But right then and there it seemed as being nice was the way to go.

Your dad seemed to be a dream father:). I would have been proud of him too. Better being a poor dreamer than a rich, hateful cynic. Even better: Be a rich and happy dreamer:). But if you never can become rich, stay a dreamer. Rather a pink cloud all day long than a grey cloud raining over your head.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Mike, again I'm sorry about your father and my condolences to you and your family.
You should be proud of your Dad, may his soul rest in peace!

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Makes me think of my own relationship to my dad. I just realized that he maybe don't have that much time any more, so it would be best to settly my things with him NOW.

Thanks, Mike, for this insight, and condolences to you and your family as well.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Mike. I wish you peace and strength in this difficult time.

I am sure the fact that your father's entrepreneurial spirit is carrying on in you will make him very proud.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry for your loss.

Well. We should all appreciate our parents no matter what they did to us. Without their influence on us, we will not be a better person. Keep a good spirit and move on.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Thank you very much guys. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread.

Dealing with my Fathers passing the past few weeks has not been easy. You are all correct in that he definitely was "our type" of person. You all would have liked him. :) I remember a few years back, I printed out MJ's story when he first posted it over on LP, and showed it to my Dad...bragging that I had actually been having PM conversations with an entrepreneur who had risen to the top! Mikes story had given me so much inspiration back then that things CAN be done if you refuse to except defeat, and I think it gave my Dad a little more energy that month as well. I remember telling him excitedly at 22 years old, "Dad a MILLIONAIRE is actually helping me and giving me advice!" (by the way thank you again Mike!!! lol), and him telling me, "Someday, youll be giving advice of your own". :) He was just that type of person. Always stressing to me that nothing was unattainable if I wanted it bad enough.

Overall, Im going to miss him so much...and I do wish he had gotten to visit this forum and meet all of you. He was a fun guy to talk to and gave me advice I will never forget. He taught me how to make friends...how to wrestle...how to defend myself against bullies when I was growing up...how to talk to girls when I was a teenager....how to be a good person...almost everything I can think of learning my entire life..he had SOME sort of impact on.

Anyways, to answer MJ's question regarding his book; my sister and I WILL be getting it published for him. Being that was his biggest dream these past few years though matter WHAT was going on with his health, I can think of no better way to honor him besides finishing what he started.

For anyone interested, here is the link to his online obituary and guestbook. The guestbook comes down next week (they only leave it up for you for 30 days, then you can download it as a keepsake for the family). I know it meant alot to my Mom and sister to see so many people pay their respects to him, so it has been neat to see and read all of the comments. (My Father was the head wrestling coach of the college my sister and I went to in NJ for 8 or 9 years, so it is great to see how many people he impacted).

http://obits.lehighvalleylive.com/ETPA/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=124915189

Guest Book - Joseph R. Gomez

Thank you again guys. :)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Mike,

My thoughts are with you and your family. What a legacy he has left behind. Awesome way to honor him by publishing the book.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I don't know where to begin, but I know from our PM conversations and being a follower of your posts that we have a lot in common and I know that our fathers are very similar not only in life, but their influences on others.

With that in mind, I could not comprehend the pain you must be feeling from this loss, but rest assured that you are living proof that he was a very successful man in life and the legacy he has left behind will live on through you and everyone that his "never give up attitude" has made a positive influence on, even those who never knew him such as myself.

RIP Joseph Gomez :smx3:

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Thank you again guys. Your kind words in this thread have meant alot to me, and I hope I can live up to my Dad's expectations 1000x.

All the best,

Mike

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.