The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

testing a niche

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Hi,

have been reading on this forum on starting a e commerce.

Now me and my friend want to try to start one and want to test the niche first. We are thinking of ways to do this and i think the best way is to test is to:
-make a simple yet good landing page
-Put pictures with a description of the products we want to offer
-buy now button with pop up, sorry site is under construction or run out of stock. (maybe even offer some discount for the trouble)
-run som ppc
- do some seo(even thou its only 9 million living in sweden, it seems to be very little google searching going on here. Only 3k searches on keywords matching our niche)

and if we get some sales we take this further and run a serious site.

thoughts on this process? My friend want to do a budget, take to some development group in his university and he feels there is no need to rush. He wants everything to be perfect before launching an testsite.

Maybe its smart so we can learn more about seo and ppc? Maybe even som copy. Im little tired of reading and want to be doing some more.

Edit: maybe should have posted this one the internet catergory

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Dive in head first bro. It's just like swimming, once you hit the water, you will learn how to swim instead of sink rather quickly.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
-buy now button with pop up, sorry site is under construction or run out of stock. (maybe even offer some discount for the trouble)

I'd at least pop an email optin box saying you'll notify them as soon as the product is back in stock. (And deliver)

Also, are there any affiliate programs by a competitor you can test?

Only 3k searches on keywords matching our niche

This is a big red flag. That is very little volume.. Can this product have mass appeal so that you can run it on display/social ads, or is tailored to a very niche-specific audience?

He wants everything to be perfect before launching an testsite.

Nothing will ever be perfect. Launch fast and get data quickly. Make it better as you go along. You will always be making your site/funnel/product better.

Last edited:

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Neil Patel told me that you have to find a valuable solution to a common problem, and act quickly to dominate and penetrate that market..

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I'd at least pop an email optin box saying you'll notify them as soon as the product is back in stock. (And deliver)

Also, are there any affiliate programs by a competitor you can test?

This is a big red flag. That is very little volume.. Can this product have mass appeal so that you can run it on display/social ads, or is tailored to a very niche-specific audience?

Nothing will ever be perfect. Launch fast and get data quickly. Make it better as you go along. You will always be making your site/funnel/product better.

i know the 3k is a red flag. But i tried to search for diffuse word like clothes and only got 60k searches a month.

Tried searching for instagram and only got 300k searches. So it seems that people in general are not googling products that much.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
now i tried to search for iphone and it only getting 27k searches each month. So off course no niche im going to find is going to get around here. Its all going to be around 2-8k.

The word food in my language and country is getting 15k searches a month.

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It seems as though people are searching for broader terms that define a class of product, rather than the specific product. Maybe they feel they will get more variety in their results, and therefore more competitive pricing?

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Are you only looking to sell your product in your country for a specific reason?

With such low search volumes for your product there, there's almost no opportunity to scale.

Realistically, 3k clicks a month will get you a handful of sales. I'd be aiming to get 3k+ clicks every few minutes.

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you only looking to sell your product in your country for a specific reason?

With such low search volumes for your product there, there's almost no opportunity to scale.

Realistically, 3k clicks a month will get you a handful of sales. I'd be aiming to get 3k+ clicks every few minutes.
I was wondering this same thing...Gotta have search volume.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
now i tried to search for iphone and it only getting 27k searches each month. So off course no niche im going to find is going to get around here. Its all going to be around 2-8k.

The word food in my language and country is getting 15k searches a month.

Is that for exact match phrases as well as similar phrases also?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

the reason for this is we are going to sell a already branded and organic product that seems hard to dropship. So we have to have the products here to start with and shipping to other countries from sweden is expensive. We are talking 30 dollars for a small product. And since there is no other country in the world speaking swedish we then have to do seo for each and every language out there.

In terms of scale we are thinking that if things go well, we than make a norwegian side and give the possibility to change the language directly on the side, and then expand to country after country. Only problem here is shipping.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
so guys what are your opinions? Is the way i wrote down a good way to go? Or should we learn seo, copy etc before launching a test site?

Also how big problem is the 3k searches each month? (exact phrase)

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
so guys what are your opinions? Is the way i wrote down a good way to go? Or should we learn seo, copy etc before launching a test site?

Also how big problem is the 3k searches each month? (exact phrase)

Launch the site and learn as you go along. Best way to learn, IMO.

And seeing how low the volume is there, don't limit yourself by only going for exact matches. Open your targeting up to broad, phrase, exact and modified broad matches.

Here's more info on modified broad matches in case you don't know what they are: http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Also, search traffic isn't the only way to can drive users to your site. In a case where search volume is so low, you could try leveraging social media traffic (Facebook ads) and display ads.

Just to give you an idea, the site Blogg.se has about 500k daily web impressions in Sweden. And that's just one site, so there's still lots of potential to scale there.

To get an idea of other places you can run ads on, register for a free account on Sitescout and mess around with their inventory calculator. You could also use Google's Display Planner, but there are some placements on other ad exchanges you won't see there.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
thanks bro! I think im doing something wrong. Tried to se how much the word conditioner has been searched for in the us and only get 4.4k searches. I think im doing something wrong here? How much are you guys getting if searching for conditioner

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
im bumping this one!

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
You are not doing anything wrong, it's just that very few people search for the exact word 'conditioner'. Get to the 'New ideas for keywords'-section and you'll see what i mean.
Stop focusing on the search volume so much, at the very least stop focusing on exact keywords and, like integrity said,
get familiar with the broad and phrase matches and you'll get a better sense of how much the volume is.
Get familiar with social media marketing, emailmarketing,.. just different ways you can reach a bigger audience.
Of course your market will be smaller if you will just try to sell it in Sweden, but that's kind of obvious isn't it?

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
The testing plan looks fine to me but like one poster recommended, I think it would be a good idea to collect the contact information of the the people who want to purchase. Let them know when you have the product and you'll have some guaranteed sales. I wouldn't worry about the keywords so much. Get your product infront of people who are interested and see what they think.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.