The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taxes and Equity

Taxes and regulation

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Add improvements ... it increases the basis of the property.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not an accountant, but using profits to make improvement would increase your operating expenses and hence reduce your net income ... reductions from net income immediately reduce the tax. Perhaps one of the accountants can clarify ...

A way of looking at is this: You are getting a 30% discount on improvements, or whatever your marginal tax rate is. If its 20%, the discount is 20%.

Again, I'm not an expert and I could be wrong ... business and rental property aren't exactly the same.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have no clue what "feed income to equity" means. Equity is determined on the net value of the property less the loan. The only way to increase equity is to 1) Raise market value (improvements) or 2) pay down the loan. There are no tax benefits to reducing the loan and if anything, will raise your tax burden since your interest deduction will be reduced. (This assumes US laws)

cmaq

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 8, 2009
Actually, I believe you answered my question. What I meant to say was using the NOI from the property and paying off the loan sooner to build up the equity. I was wondering if there were any types of tax benefits or tax shelters by taking the NOI and redirecting it to the loan.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.