The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Supplements for Mental Fitness

MaxAvery

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 18, 2021
Fort Smith, Arkansas
I wrote an article on this and published through LinkedIn - you can check the link here: 10 Supplemenets for Ultimate Brain Power

BUT - here's the content if you don't want to leave this site to read:

There’s a lot of supplements you’ll see ads for that claim things like “Better than Adderall” in their advertising, and I hate to break it to you but you’re not going to find any over-the-counter supplement to get quite the same effect as a prescription nervous system stimulant. HOWEVER, there’s a lot of great supplements that you can pick up to help you make better use of your brainpower for the day.

Adderall and other ADHD medications work by increasing the naturally occurring brain chemicals and by enhancing the effects of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrin

Nootropics, or “smart drugs,” are a class of substances that can boost brain performance. These so-called “Smart Drugs” have gained a lot of popularity and the term “nootropic” which was coined by a Romanian psychologist and chemist way back in 1972 which was also the same year that Jackson Browne released his timeless classic “Doctor my Eyes”

Things that fall into this category are supplements that are aiming to improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, ability to learn, creativity, or motivation. That type of stuff is what can cause dramatic leaps in your ability to be more effective at handling your daily workload and transform you into a productivity superhero.

There are a few things that I take as part of my daily routine to make my “smart stack” that helps me get through my day. I’m presenting this info without talking about specific brands, so my recommendation is to make sure that any of the items you buy are from a reputable company that has good quality control on their products. There are various independent supplement review sites around the internet you can check out as well. One thing I can mention is that a lot of the effects of these herbal supplements take some time to start manifesting. While synthetic drugs like Adderall are felt very quickly, it can take days or weeks of consistent use of some of these to get the effects you’re looking for, so it’s important to remain consistent.

Another thing I’d like to add is that I’m not a dietician or a doctor and anything regarding this info can be disregarded at as broscience if you so choose.

Let’s start with the easy one:

Caffeine​

Caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive substance in the world, and as you probably know, It’s naturally found in coffee, tea, and added to many sodas, energy drinks and medications. Caffeine works by blocking adenosine receptors in your brain, making you feel less tired — that’s a big part of what we want to achieve in the workday so I felt it was important to throw that one on the list despite being probably the most obvious.

Now one that you may or may not have heard of,

Lions Mane Mushroom​

There’s a lot of great benefits to Lion’s Mane — for the sake of this discussion though, Lion’s Mane helps to reduce “brain fog” and also enhances memory and mental alertness while improving symptoms of anxiety or depression. It’s a mainstay in my supplementation and I’ve had great results with it personally. Also, it also is shown to assist with nerve damage and stimulate the repair and growth of neurons.

Bacopa Monnieri​

Bacopa monnieri is something you’ll have to take for some time to see the effects start to stack up, but it is shown to speed up your brain’s ability to process information, reduce reaction time (also good if you’re a gamer) and improve memory.

L-TYROSINE​

This is a supplement that is one of the building blocks for dopamine. It combats brain fog by increasing several key neurotransmitter levels. Side note, if you have a prescription for Adderall, it can contribute to the stimulating effect which seems to make it more effective.

Creatine​

If you’re into weightlifting of any sort, you’ve probably heard about creatine. You’ll typically have a creatine “loading phase” for the first few days. It’s a popular supplement that increases your body’s stores of phosphocreatine which your body uses to restore adenosine triphosphate (ATP) during intense exercise. What most people don’t know is that creatine is also beneficial for your brain. After it’s consumed, creatine enters your brain where it binds with phosphate, creating these molecules that your brain uses to quickly fuel its cells.

The increased availability of energy for your brain cells has shown improved short-term memory and logical reasoning skills, especially in highly stressed people.

Omega-3 Fish Oil​

The amount of EPA and DHA that you receive from taking Omega-3 Fish Oil is critical for normal brain function and reducing “brain fog.” Most western diets limit the amount of omega-3 fatty acids and these fatty acids are also vital for the maintenance by preserving cell membrane health and facilitating communication between brain cells. A lack of omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to create deficits in learning and memory.

5-HTP​

Having a positive attitude at work is a key component to getting things done. 5-HTP works to regulate serotonin levels and 5-HTP may be an easy, natural remedy to shake off the blues. It also helps to improve your ability to reduce stress and anxiety and get more restful sleep so you’ll be able to get well-rested.

GABA​

Studied for many years, Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid that works as a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter in your brain. Fermented foods such as kimchi, miso, and tempeh contain GABA, but most people don’t eat enough to increase their levels consistently. GABA helps produce a calming effect when it attaches to receptors in the brain and as a result, can keep you less stressed and more focused. It can also help you get better quality sleep.

Ashwagandha​

A shrub that grows in the Middle East, India and parts of Africa, this is also known as Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry and has been used for hundreds of years as a medicinal plant. There are a lot of great benefits of Ashwagandha including the reduction of cortisol levels and anxiety and also boost your memory and brain function in general.

L-Theanine​

This is another great supplement to suppress hormones known as glucocorticoids which can impact your memory and learning ability as well as your mood in general. Adding L-Theanine improves concentration and also reduces stress. It’s also naturally found in green tea.

In conclusion​

If you’re looking to find ways to maximize your brain power, I believe these supplements are great tools, but in addition to this, eating a healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise per week also works wonders to get your energy going and enhance your cognitive function. I don’t like to think as any one particular solution as a quick fix, but always try to stack the odds in my favor with as many different solutions as possible. Please let me know your experiences with any of the items on this list or other supplements you think should be added.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
I wrote an article on this and published through LinkedIn - you can check the link here: 10 Supplemenets for Ultimate Brain Power

There’s a lot of supplements you’ll see ads for that claim things like “Better than Adderall” in their advertising, and I hate to break it to you but you’re not going to find any over-the-counter supplement to get quite the same effect as a prescription nervous system stimulant. HOWEVER, there’s a lot of great supplements that you can pick up to help you make better use of your brainpower for the day.

Adderall and other ADHD medications work by increasing the naturally occurring brain chemicals and by enhancing the effects of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrin

Nootropics, or “smart drugs,” are a class of substances that can boost brain performance. These so-called “Smart Drugs” have gained a lot of popularity and the term “nootropic” which was coined by a Romanian psychologist and chemist way back in 1972 which was also the same year that Jackson Browne released his timeless classic “Doctor my Eyes”

Things that fall into this category are supplements that are aiming to improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, ability to learn, creativity, or motivation. That type of stuff is what can cause dramatic leaps in your ability to be more effective at handling your daily workload and transform you into a productivity superhero.

There are a few things that I take as part of my daily routine to make my “smart stack” that helps me get through my day. I’m presenting this info without talking about specific brands, so my recommendation is to make sure that any of the items you buy are from a reputable company that has good quality control on their products. There are various independent supplement review sites around the internet you can check out as well. One thing I can mention is that a lot of the effects of these herbal supplements take some time to start manifesting. While synthetic drugs like Adderall are felt very quickly, it can take days or weeks of consistent use of some of these to get the effects you’re looking for, so it’s important to remain consistent.

Another thing I’d like to add is that I’m not a dietician or a doctor and anything regarding this info can be disregarded at as broscience if you so choose.

Caffeine​

Caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive substance in the world, and as you probably know, It’s naturally found in coffee, tea, and added to many sodas, energy drinks and medications. Caffeine works by blocking adenosine receptors in your brain, making you feel less tired — that’s a big part of what we want to achieve in the workday so I felt it was important to throw that one on the list despite being probably the most obvious.

Lions Mane Mushroom​

There’s a lot of great benefits to Lion’s Mane — for the sake of this discussion though, Lion’s Mane helps to reduce “brain fog” and also enhances memory and mental alertness while improving symptoms of anxiety or depression. It’s a mainstay in my supplementation and I’ve had great results with it personally. Also, it also is shown to assist with nerve damage and stimulate the repair and growth of neurons.

Bacopa Monnieri​

Bacopa monnieri is something you’ll have to take for some time to see the effects start to stack up, but it is shown to speed up your brain’s ability to process information, reduce reaction time (also good if you’re a gamer) and improve memory.

L-TYROSINE​

This is a supplement that is one of the building blocks for dopamine. It combats brain fog by increasing several key neurotransmitter levels. Side note, if you have a prescription for Adderall, it can contribute to the stimulating effect which seems to make it more effective.

Creatine​

If you’re into weightlifting of any sort, you’ve probably heard about creatine. You’ll typically have a creatine “loading phase” for the first few days. It’s a popular supplement that increases your body’s stores of phosphocreatine which your body uses to restore adenosine triphosphate (ATP) during intense exercise. What most people don’t know is that creatine is also beneficial for your brain. After it’s consumed, creatine enters your brain where it binds with phosphate, creating these molecules that your brain uses to quickly fuel its cells.

The increased availability of energy for your brain cells has shown improved short-term memory and logical reasoning skills, especially in highly stressed people.

Omega-3 Fish Oil​

The amount of EPA and DHA that you receive from taking Omega-3 Fish Oil is critical for normal brain function and reducing “brain fog.” Most western diets limit the amount of omega-3 fatty acids and these fatty acids are also vital for the maintenance by preserving cell membrane health and facilitating communication between brain cells. A lack of omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to create deficits in learning and memory.

5-HTP​

Having a positive attitude at work is a key component to getting things done. 5-HTP works to regulate serotonin levels and 5-HTP may be an easy, natural remedy to shake off the blues. It also helps to improve your ability to reduce stress and anxiety and get more restful sleep so you’ll be able to get well-rested.

GABA​

Studied for many years, Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid that works as a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter in your brain. Fermented foods such as kimchi, miso, and tempeh contain GABA, but most people don’t eat enough to increase their levels consistently. GABA helps produce a calming effect when it attaches to receptors in the brain and as a result, can keep you less stressed and more focused. It can also help you get better quality sleep.

Ashwagandha​

A shrub that grows in the Middle East, India and parts of Africa, this is also known as Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry and has been used for hundreds of years as a medicinal plant. There are a lot of great benefits of Ashwagandha including the reduction of cortisol levels and anxiety and also boost your memory and brain function in general.

L-Theanine​

This is another great supplement to suppress hormones known as glucocorticoids which can impact your memory and learning ability as well as your mood in general. Adding L-Theanine improves concentration and also reduces stress. It’s also naturally found in green tea.

In conclusion​

If you’re looking to find ways to maximize your brain power, I believe these supplements are great tools, but in addition to this, eating a healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise per week also works wonders to get your energy going and enhance your cognitive function. I don’t like to think as any one particular solution as a quick fix, but always try to stack the odds in my favor with as many different solutions as possible. Please let me know your experiences with any of the items on this list or other supplements you think should be added.
These supplements help our mental health and improve the cognitive functions, memory, and ability to learn that you are mentioned in your article. Omega-3s can simply travel through the brain cell membrane and it has interacted with mood-related molecules inside the brain. It can have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects as well, which means the Omega-3s promote healthier brain cells and less deterioration of the brain

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Does sleep count?

What about meditation?

DaisyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Nov 11, 2014
Canada

Caffeine​

Lions Mane Mushroom​

Bacopa Monnieri​

L-TYROSINE​

Creatine​

Omega-3 Fish Oil​

5-HTP​

GABA​

Ashwagandha​

L-Theanine​

In conclusion​

Thanks for this summary...couple of questions...do you take all of these every day? Have you discussed your intake of any/all of these with a medical practitioner and if so what was their feedback? What types of volume/dosage do you take? And finally..if you were only going to take 1 to start which one would it be...besides caffeine...already lots of that in my system :) Thank you.

MaxAvery

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 18, 2021
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Thanks for this summary...couple of questions...do you take all of these every day? Have you discussed your intake of any/all of these with a medical practitioner and if so what was their feedback? What types of volume/dosage do you take? And finally..if you were only going to take 1 to start which one would it be...besides caffeine...already lots of that in my system :) Thank you.
Pretty much every day! I talk with my doctor about supplementation regularly and this all gets a green light.
Dosage as recommended on the product labels.

If I were going to say anything, Start with Fish Oil - most folks on a typical western diet dont get enough DHA/EPA and it contributes tremendously

DaisyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Nov 11, 2014
Canada
Pretty much every day! I talk with my doctor about supplementation regularly and this all gets a green light.
Dosage as recommended on the product labels.

If I were going to say anything, Start with Fish Oil - most folks on a typical western diet dont get enough DHA/EPA and it contributes tremendously
Thanks for the info and reply.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.