The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling With Time-Management

Anything related to matters of the mind

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
I find myself in a pickle, and I'd like some advice on how I can get myself out of it.

I find it difficult to find the time and energy to create a business.

I live by myself, I work a full-time job throughout the week to support myself. After work, I go to the gym and then I cook for myself. At the end of the day, I'm tired.

Throughout the week I try to maintain my place as best as I can. I clean up my apartment, do my laundry, do dishwashing, do weekly food and item shopping, organize my calendar and finances, take care of errands that add up, etc.

Furthermore, since I work remotely indoors, I find it beneficial for my health to go for walks outdoors to get fresh air. I also try to see a friend at least once per week since I need some social interaction for my health.

By the end of the week, I'm able to stay healthy and do well at my job, but I feel as though I don't have the energy or the time to work on my entrepreneurial goals and dreams.

I would appreciate some advice from those who once found themselves in a similar situation and were able to find a way to make it work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Dude you don't even have to commute. I'm sure you can find time to do at least 2 hours of work every day and 10 hours on weekends. Stop action faking and making excuses and do the work

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Here are my thoughts off the top of my head, but I'd be happy to chat more if you'd like.

1. Does your place have a dishwasher and laundry facility? How much time are you losing because you have to hand wash dishes and go to a laundromat? In what other ways is your living arrangement taking away your time? Would it be possible to move somewhere else that has better amenities?

2. When you go for walks or commute to the gym/grocery store/etc. what do you do? Meditation and quiet time is beneficial, but perhaps you could listen to audiobooks, voice record your thoughts, make a phone call, etc. during some of those times.

3. Could you budget for a robot vac or hire a bi-weekly housekeeper?

4. Do you buy in bulk as much as possible to limit the number of times you have to go to the store? Online ordering? Could you prepare and freeze meals?

5. Have you tried the 1/5/10 plan? Are your goals written down and placed somewhere where you see them often? Do you know exactly what your goals are or are you wasting time being scattered all over the place?

6. How many of your bills and finances are automated?

7. How is your mental health? Are you sleeping too much due to depression? Are you spending more time with distractions than you realize? Again, are you living somewhere that isn't conducive to your health/goals?

EDIT ---

8. What do you do with your weekends?

Last edited:

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
EDIT: I wrote this post at the same time as REV5028 wrote hers, hence why there is so much duplication, I only realised she had written her response when I posted mine.

How much do you want to be an entrepreneur?
How badly do you want your entrepreneurial dreams to come true?

It seems to me that if you really wanted to become an entrepreneur that you would simply make the time to put some hours in. You would probably need something like 6 - 8 hours a week to get a side hustle going.

Do you watch any TV or stream any movies TV shows?
Do you use social media during the week?

How long does it take you to do your laundry? I assume that you own a washing machine so you just have to load the machine and then empty it, in which case not very long, maybe 20 mins a couple of times a week. If you are doing hand washing can you get a washing machine?

Do you have a dishwasher or do you hand wash and dry your dishes?

When you cook for yourself do you usually cook multi-course meals that take several hours to prepare or do you cook things like omelette and vegetables which is quick or "one pot" meals which can be left to cook and require little washing up?

Do you go out to do your weekly food and item shopping or do you have it delivered? If you go out can you get it delivered to save time?

When you go out for walks, you get some exercise but also when you go to the gym. You implied that you go to the gym every day. Could you not do say a gym session or a walk every day to get the exercise that you need but to save time?

When you see your friend do you see them for a whole day or just a few hours on a evening? Could you see them face to face every two weeks and then phone them for 30 - 60 mins the other week so that you still have contact with someone but save time?

When you do your cleaning do you do it all by yourself or do you have a cleaner? Could you get a cleaner to do a couple of hours a week to free up some of your time?
Is your apartment huge and so takes a long time to clean? Or is it very cluttered meaning that it takes a long time to clean? A tidy small apartment will be much quicker to keep clean than a cluttered large house.

Do you really need to manage your finances every week? Does this really take a long time or do you have an extensive investment portfolio to review in addition to just your personal finances? All your bills should be automated so your day to day financial management should take just a few minutes a month.

"take care of errands that add up" It sounds to me that you find things to do to give yourself an excuse to not take action on your dreams. This suggests that either you don't want to become an entrepreneur or that you are afraid of starting your own business and so you procrastinate on taking the next steps.

If you think that you are holding yourself back (hesitating / afraid) then try breaking your current dreams / goals down into smaller pieces so that the next steps become obvious and simple small things to do. Also try thinking of the consequences of inaction. What is missing out on your dreams costing you?
If you are comfortable in your current life then it is very easy to decide to definitely take action some time next year and just drift through life without feel intense emotional states - life becomes easy. This will steal your time. Remember what the entrepreneur Richard Branson said: "Money comes and goes but time only goes."

I suggest that you either really push yourself to take some action, however small toward your dreams, or bin them and find some other direction to travel in.

I hope that this response doesn't come across as too harsh, but I can't believe that someone sensible like yourself couldn't work all this lot out by themselves and that is why I suspect that you are holding back for some reason.
I hope that this post helps you or someone else is some positive way.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Exact goals and plans, do you mean that’s what’s needed? Can you please clarify?

Yeah , that is exactly what you need.

If you knew exactly what needed to be done you wouldn’t waste time doing anything else and you would have the energy to do it because you would be so excited and motivated.

It’s ok to “want” to be an entrepreneur but have no plan or idea on how to make it happen.

If you ever read Ayn Rand’s works, your “judgement-values” are messed up and hence your “moral actions”.

Your priorities are messed up.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I've been there before. You problem is not time, it's energy.

Figure out what will push your life in the right direction and do that first thing in the morning before working on your job. Wake up a few hours earlier if you have to, and go to bed earlier.

All chores, cleaning, and admin stuff should be done when you are tired and cannot do focused work on your important things, which might be later in the day.

During weekends work the entire day on your business, as hard as you can.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
8 hours sleep and 8 hours work means that's 8 more hours a day that you have to do everything else. I'm guessing you have weekends off, so that's 32 more hours per week. You have 72 spare hours per week. That's the equivalent of two full time jobs. You could probably get all your other stuff done and still have 40 hours left to work on your Fastlane business.

Let's break it down:

Weekday stuff
daily walks - 2 hours max
gym - 2 hours max
daily cleaning - 1 hour max
daily dishwashing - 30 min max
daily cooking - 1 hour
Total daily hours for other activities - 6.5 hours max, probably more like 3, still leaving 1.5-5 hours per day (7.5-25 hours per week).

Weekend stuff
Shopping - 3 hours max
Organization - 3 hours max
Cleaning - 2 hours max
Dishwashing - 1 hour max
Laundry - 3 hours max
Seeing friend - 8 hours max
Total weekend hours for other activities - 20 hours max, probably more like 15, leaving between 12-17 hours per weekend, making a total of between 19.5 hours (worst case scenario) to over 42 hours per week of time that you can do whatever you want! If you multi-task or become more efficient, you could have even more time!

You're only tired if you want to be.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
In detail what exactly are your goals and plans in terms of entrepreneurship?
I'll start my answer vague and then get more specific.

In general, I want to be financially free and independent. I want to be able to travel where I want and do what I want. I want to be competent, respected and influential. I want to be at peace, with a deep purpose in my life. I want my future kids and family to grow up and live in a world that is different than the one I grew up in (one where money was always a problem).

The best way to achieve this is to follow the advice in MJ's books: Build a business that follows the 5 commandments; a productocracy that detaches money from your time.

I recently read the book "The One Thing". The message of the book is that the best way to become successful is to focus on a singular project instead of distributing your focus on many different things.

I've been thinking hard for the last month about what my One Thing should be, at least in the near future.

Looking at what I'm good at, this is what I can point to: I'm a good writer, a good speaker, and a good thinker.

I ended up coming up with three options:

1) Write a book. I have many good ideas, both in fiction and non-fiction. Writing 1000 words a day is very doable for me. I can have a first draft done within 3 months.

2) Start a podcast. My speaking skills and my social skills are as good as my writing skills. I already have the equipment I need for a podcast.

3) The problem with the first two options is that they mostly don't follow MJ's advice. Perhaps the best option is to forget about options 1 and 2 and instead focus on creating an actual business. The problem is, I don't have anything tangible at the moment. The focus then would be on spending the initial few weeks brainstorming, creating business plans, doing research, reaching out to business owners, networking, etc, until I come up with something that I am willing to go all-in on. After that, it's all about continuous failure until I reach success. Most probably the first venture won't go well, but that's okay, that's what will lead to success one day.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
The best way to achieve this is to follow the advice in MJ's books: Build a business that follows the 5 commandments; a productocracy that detaches money from your time.
The best way to achieve what you're looking for is to focus less on what you want and focus more on what others need/want.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
I've been there before. You problem is not time, it's energy.

Figure out what will push your life in the right direction and do that first thing in the morning before working on your job. Wake up a few hours earlier if you have to, and go to bed earlier.

All chores, cleaning, and admin stuff should be done when you are tired and cannot do focused work on your important things, which might be later in the day.

During weekends work the entire day on your business, as hard as you can.
I didn't think about it that way, but the more I look at your response the more I think you're right.

I notice my energy levels are always extremely high for the first few hours after I wake up.

Since I start work at 8 am, perhaps my best bet would be to wake up at 5 am and get a few hours of work done before starting my job.

A few hours of highly focused work is more beneficial than using large levels of willpower after a workday + working out + cooking and eating in the afternoon.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
3) The problem with the first two options is that they mostly don't follow MJ's advice. Perhaps the best option is to forget about options 1 and 2 and instead focus on creating an actual business. The problem is, I don't have anything tangible at the moment. The focus then would be on spending the initial few weeks brainstorming, creating business plans, doing research, reaching out to business owners, networking, etc, until I come up with something that I am willing to go all-in on. After that, it's all about continuous failure until I reach success. Most probably the first venture won't go well, but that's okay, that's what will lead to success one day.
Why can't you write a book? If it is good enough then it will satisfy the criteria for a productocracy as I understand it. Writing a book also separates your earnings from your time.

You wrote:
"The problem is, I don't have anything tangible at the moment."
and
"After that, it's all about continuous failure..."

Now we know why you are having difficulty taking action. One, you don't have an idea of what to do so you don't have a plan, so you don't have a next step, so you can't execute. Two, you think that if you do execute then you will fail at what you are doing. This massacres motivation. No-one wants to do the grind to fail unless they are insane.

So, I'm going to suggest that you re-read the CENTS principles and check that writing a book or books can be made to meet those criteria. Then brainstorm some ideas for your book. This could be your next two steps.

Also, just because some businesses fail doesn't mean that you should think that your's will. You should assume that you are going to succeed every time that you try. If you don't succeed then be pleased that you learned something and take that as a positive result, albeit not the one that you were hoping for. Then build on that result with another attempt at either the same goal or a modification of that goal based on what you now know.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
Yeah , that is exactly what you need.

If you knew exactly what needed to be done you wouldn’t waste time doing anything else and you would have the energy to do it because you would be so excited and motivated.

It’s ok to “want” to be an entrepreneur but have no plan or idea on how to make it happen.

If you ever read Ayn Rand’s works, your “judgement-values” are messed up and hence your “moral actions”.

Your priorities are messed up.
I like Ayn Rand, I recently read The Fountainhead and it's now one of my favourite books.

Can you explain what you mean by "judgement values" and "moral actions", and the relationship between the two?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Can you explain what you mean by "judgement values" and "moral actions", and the relationship between the two?

A "Value-Judgment" is a term used in many philosophical works but what Rand means is that it's a victory in consciousness and reason of the "highest good" for you and the outside world. When our "actions" correspond with what we know to be good or true we act with "virtue" or "morality". Virtue is the relationship between the two.

Basically be productive and don't betray what you know to be true and good.

For example, you started this thread because at some level you know you are betraying some value with your actions or behavior. Time and economic productivity.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
A "Value-Judgment" is a term used in many philosophical works but what Rand means is that it's a victory in consciousness and reason of the "highest good" for you and the outside world. When our "actions" correspond with what we know to be good or true we act with "virtue" or "morality". Virtue is the relationship between the two.

Basically be productive and don't betray what you know to be true and good.

For example, you started this thread because at some level you know you are betraying some value with your actions or behavior. Time and economic productivity.
That's well-said thanks.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Looking at what I'm good at, this is what I can point to: I'm a good writer, a good speaker, and a good thinker.

I ended up coming up with three options:

1) Write a book. I have many good ideas, both in fiction and non-fiction. Writing 1000 words a day is very doable for me. I can have a first draft done within 3 months.

looking at your skills, i would say that you should take a look at info products.

Why?

you a good writer? info products can be in form of text.
you a good speaker? info products can be in form of video.
you a good thinker? info products are solutions to problems.

before the question comes up "where do i look" and "how do i start" just have a look at this thread from @Lex DeVille and the other one with his answers: Lex's Authority Site & Info Products Talk

no excuses, everything is predefined here and you have an expert you can ask.

what do you think?

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I think the answer is also about asking continual questions and reflecting, like ok I have this problem and I need to solve it. Is my plan good? Am I executing well? What can improve? Then going through a process of being really observant, learning from others, and solving the problem

Hadrian9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Nov 22, 2022
I find myself in a pickle, and I'd like some advice on how I can get myself out of it.

I live by myself, I work a full-time job throughout the week to support myself. After work, I go to the gym and then I cook for myself. At the end of the day, I'm tired.

Throughout the week I try to maintain my place as best as I can. I clean up my apartment, do my laundry, do dishwashing, do weekly food and item shopping, organize my calendar and finances, take care of errands that add up, etc.

Furthermore, since I work remotely indoors, I find it beneficial for my health to go for walks outdoors to get fresh air. I also try to see a friend at least once per week since I need some social interaction for my health.

By the end of the week, I'm able to stay healthy and do well at my job, but I feel as though I don't have the energy or the time to work on my entrepreneurial goals and dreams.

I would appreciate some advice from those who once found themselves in a similar situation and were able to find a way to make it work.
Cooking is a big time use. Id either get a meal plan delivered to you if you have the budget for that, cook very quick meals like some boiled eggs and microwaved rice, meal prep, or buy frozen meals. Yeah it’s not super healthy as cooking for an hour a day, but it’s worth the time saved. I’d also only user paper and plastic plates and utensils, which saves time cleaning dishes.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

Try waking up earlier do do tasks you need to do during the day, start by commuting 20 minutes a day to this, and build from there.

Remember to study and try, and get in touch with people who want to do this as well. Doing this alone especially at the beginning is overwelming and will lead You to burnout pretty quicly ( it happened to me in the past )

Cheers :)

ps: make sure to save at least 10-15 k, plus 6 months worth of your living expenses.

Hope that helps,

Davide

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!