The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Street food

Idea threads

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Aug 1, 2022
I've been looking into the new street food stands popping around my area (not too many, but the one really close to me is really successful)
It's done in a way unlike the traditional run-down cart, rather its more professional, like a restaurant on wheels.
I've got an idea for a food product with great demand and I've perfected the recipe so so far the feedback seems to signal a productocracy.
But I don't know much about the foodcart business. I've thought of a great location but how do i even set up there? If i just go in and plop down, wont anyone kick me out? Also i can't be the cook 24/7. How do i find someone who can cook right, and deal with the customers right?
Also someone said that if the people see it being made infront of their eyes they wont buy it just make it at home. Is this true or not?
Also it needs some electricity. How do i get that? How do all the other carts get that? Do they carry a huge battery or connect to some hidden AC supply?
It has the potential to be a great and untapped business but comes with many difficulties.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
I've been looking into the new street food stands popping around my area (not too many, but the one really close to me is really successful)
It's done in a way unlike the traditional run-down cart, rather its more professional, like a restaurant on wheels.
I've got an idea for a food product with great demand and I've perfected the recipe so so far the feedback seems to signal a productocracy.
But I don't know much about the foodcart business. I've thought of a great location but how do i even set up there? If i just go in and plop down, wont anyone kick me out? Also i can't be the cook 24/7. How do i find someone who can cook right, and deal with the customers right?
Also someone said that if the people see it being made infront of their eyes they wont buy it just make it at home. Is this true or not?
Also it needs some electricity. How do i get that? How do all the other carts get that? Do they carry a huge battery or connect to some hidden AC supply?
It has the potential to be a great and untapped business but comes with many difficulties.
It depends on your city and its regulations so I would recommend getting that sorted as soon as you can. In my city, for example, I believe permission needs to be granted and certain street foods are not allowed.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
As FirstLawMotion said, location will depend on the regulations of your area. Some public streets you can park and operate without asking anyone. Whether or not the local government will give you trouble depends on your area as well.

If you can't find somewhere free to set up, talk to business owners or property owners who have space that you can use. If you team up with a place that could benefit from your food offerings, like a bar for example, they may not charge you anything because you would be helping them.

Hiring can be difficult. For a cook, you should have them demonstrate their ability in front of you. If they can't make the food well in front of you, it's not going to work. For a cashier, you need to make sure that the person is trustworthy and will give great customer service. You might have to handle one of these duties yourself when you're just getting started. It's most likely that the cashier role would be easier to fill with a hire.

It's not true that people will not buy something if they see it being made in front of their eyes. The reason is because you are offering them value. If you do not provide value, customers will not give you their money.

Electricity will depend on your location. Ideally, your "landlord" will be happy to provide you with free electricity and you'll just need an extension cord. You may also be able to tap into public outlets (depending on location). Many mobile businesses use generators. Many large food trucks operate using the onboard electrical system of the vehicle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Aug 1, 2022
As FirstLawMotion said, location will depend on the regulations of your area. Some public streets you can park and operate without asking anyone. Whether or not the local government will give you trouble depends on your area as well.

If you can't find somewhere free to set up, talk to business owners or property owners who have space that you can use. If you team up with a place that could benefit from your food offerings, like a bar for example, they may not charge you anything because you would be helping them.

Hiring can be difficult. For a cook, you should have them demonstrate their ability in front of you. If they can't make the food well in front of you, it's not going to work. For a cashier, you need to make sure that the person is trustworthy and will give great customer service. You might have to handle one of these duties yourself when you're just getting started. It's most likely that the cashier role would be easier to fill with a hire.

It's not true that people will not buy something if they see it being made in front of their eyes. The reason is because you are offering them value. If you do not provide value, customers will not give you their money.

Electricity will depend on your location. Ideally, your "landlord" will be happy to provide you with free electricity and you'll just need an extension cord. You may also be able to tap into public outlets (depending on location). Many mobile businesses use generators. Many large food trucks operate using the onboard electrical system of the vehicle.
thanks a lot. your post was really helpful. I just have one last question. Where do i find the cook/employee. Should i post online about it or what?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.