The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stoic Philosophy

Anything related to matters of the mind

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Given the uncertainty and anxiety of today, I wanted to post some authors of a school of ideas that has stood the test of time: Stoicism.

Seneca:

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations:

Epictetus - Enchiridion:

There's also a shitload of philosophy on this site translated by brilliant scholars, but you could keep yourself busy for years with these texts.

The key idea of Stoicism is perspective trumps circumstances. You have almost no say in what happens in the over the external world, but you can be a dictator of your internal world.

Amor Fati

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Stoic philosophy resonates strongly with me, with the key applicable concept for a time like this is to concern yourself only with things you can control, not with things you can't.

For example, you can help arrest the spread of the virus by staying inside, working from home, and reducing contact with people as much as possible. You can prepare yourself by keeping your eye on your health.

But you can't decide whether or not you get infected, nor can you decide whether or not the healthcare situation will be robust enough to help you in the event that you do get infected.

Focus only on what you can control. That includes business, too.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I started studying Stoic philosophy nearly 10 years ago at the onset of my journey towards bettering myself. I found in Stoicism a practicable way of thinking, and way of life, that if employed, could free me from my own thoughts and ego. What I love is that Stoic virtues are derived from Nature, and thanks to the boundless examples of nature works around us, we can deduct our role in nature and determine what's good and bad.

I created a handbook of Stoic philosophy for myself years ago so I could return to key areas I was struggling with and I've been modifying and adding to it ever since. Most of it is aggregated from the works of Seneca, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius - but to be honest, I found Marcus Aurelius' meditations to be far more practical than some of the more elaborate discourses from the other Stoics.

I'd like to share some of them here and hopefully inspire someone else to look into Stoicism.

For example - I decided this would be a good thing to repeat to myself every morning:

Today I am going to encounter people who are ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, and hostile. People have these characteristics because they do not understand what is good and what is bad. But insofar as I have comprehended the true nature of what is good, namely that it is fine and noble, and the true nature of what is bad, that it is shameful, and the true nature of the person who has gone astray: that he is just like me, not only in the physical sense, but also with respect to intelligence and having a portion of the divine - insofar as I have comprehended all this, I can neither be hassled by any of them, for no one else can involve me in what is shameful and debasing, nor can I be angry with my fellow man or hate him, for we have been made for cooperation, just like the feet, the hands, the eyelids, and the upper and lower teeth. To hinder one another, then, is contrary to Nature, and this is exactly what happens when we are angry and turn away from each other. -Marcus Aurelius Meditations book 2​
When I struggle with procrastination, I refer to the below from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.

Because most of what we say and do is not essential, if you can eliminate it, you'll have more time, and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, "is this necessary?" But we need to eliminate unnecessary assumptions as well. To eliminate the unnecessary actions that follow.​
Remember how long you've been putting this off, how many extensions fortune gave you, and you didn't use them. At some point you have to recognize what world it is that you belong to; what power rules it and from what source you spring; that there is a limit to the time assigned you, and if you don't use it to free yourself, it will be gone and will never return.​
Concentrate every minute like a sage - like a man - on doing what's presently in front of you with precise and genuine seriousness, tenderly, willingly, with justice. And on freeing yourself from all other distractions. Yes, you can - if you do everything as if it were the last thing you were doing in your life, and stop being aimless, stop letting your emotions override what your mind tells you, stop being hypocritical, self-centered, irritable. You see how few things you have to do to live a satisfying and reverent life? If you can manage this, that's all even the logos can ask of you.​
Whenever you are annoyed at waking up from sleep, remember that performing communal duties is in accord with your makeup and with human nature, but that you share sleeping even with unreasoning animals. That which is in accordance with the nature of each, then, is more closely related, suitable by nature, and even more pleasurable.​

On the topic of character, and who I aspire to be:

No time to read or study. But it is possible to restrain my pride; it is possible to rise above pleasures and pains; it is possible to rise above reputation; it is possible not only not to be angry with the insensitive and ungrateful but even to care for them.​
Love the discipline you know, and let it support you. Entrust everything willingly to fortune, and then make your way through life - no one's master and no one's slave​
Master your impressions by continually saying this to yourself:" Now it is in my power that within this soul there be no wickedness, appetite, nor any agitation at all. But, seeing things for what they truly are, I will make use of each one according to its real worth." Remember this power that you have been given by nature.​

Whenever I feel harmed, when I feel someone has treated me with injustice:

Nothing that goes on in anyone else's mind can harm you. Nor can the shifts and changes in the world around you. Then where is the harm to be found? In your capacity to see it. Stop doing that and everything will be fine. Let the part of you that makes that judgment keep quiet even if the body it's attached to is stabbed or burnt, or stinking with pus, or consumed by cancer. Or to put it another way: it needs to realize that what happens to everyone - bad and good alike - is neither good nor bad. That what happens in every life - lived naturally or not - is neither natural nor unnatural.​
When you see the shameless behavior of someone, immediately ask yourself: Is it possible for there to be no shameless people in the world? Impossible, so do not ask for what is impossible, for this person, too, is one of those shameless people who are destined to exist in the world. Let this thought be at hand also for the villain, the liar, and everyone who has gone astray. For when you remember that this type of person cannot help but exist, you will be kinder toward each and every one of them.​
It is also useful immediately to consider this: What power has nature given us for dealing with such people? For She has given us kindness as an antidote for the arrogant, and other faculties for dealing with other difficulties. In a word, it is in your power to teach whoever has lost his way, everyone who is in error is so in relation to his true goal and has gone astray from that goal.​

But, most importantly, whenever you accuse someone of being a liar or unkind, turn inward to yourself, for the fault clearly lies with you, either because you trusted that such a person would keep his word or because, once you had given a favor, you did not do this unconditionally and you forgot that you received the entire fruit of your action in that moment For what more do you want, dear man, once you have done something good? Do you want some additional compensation? Does the eye demand wages for seeing or the feet for walking? Just as these were made for something and, in accomplishing their task, gain what is truly theirs, so too is man naturally a doer of good actions, and when he has done such an action, he has accomplished what he was made for and receives what is truly his.​

Finally, some great quotes to keep at hand if you're in need of strength:

"No one can hurt me, because I alone am responsible for the nobility of my character"​
"Study not to increase your knowledge but to improve it."​
"Wisdom is the perfect good of the human mind; philosophy, love of wisdom and progress towards it."​
"Know that good men should behave similarly; they must not shrink from hardship and difficulty or complain of fate; they should take whatever befalls in good part and turn it to advantage. The thing that matters is not what you bear, but how you bear it."​

Last edited:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Been interested in this since reading obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday, he also has a book on stoicism.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The external world doesn’t cause our internal world. This is the biggest confusion with harmful emotions. Our internal world can only mirror the external world. When we do that we understand and we become free.

Im a big fan of Spinoza philosophy. He was inspired by the stoics and descartes. Basically it’s metacognition on steroids. If you are aware and understand your own mind then you are free. Free to the point where we experience a union with “god” or “nature”.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Been interested in this since reading obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday, he also has a book on stoicism.
I've been listening to this on Audible lately. It's piqued my curiosity on stoic philosophy. I'll be digging deeper on all the Stoics mentioned, especially Marcus Aurelius.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've been listening to this on Audible lately. It's piqued my curiosity on stoic philosophy. I'll be digging deeper on all the Stoics mentioned, especially Marcus Aurelius.
How did you find his book? What is it exactly, he just discusses their philosophies or??

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
How did you find his book? What is it exactly, he just discusses their philosophies or??
I was listening to The Obstacle is the Way. It's the only book of his that I've listened to/read.

I don't think any of his his books delve deeply into stoicism itself. He mentions in The Obstacle is the Way that there isn't much more to be said that the ancient Stoics haven't already told. He just offers a modern perspective.

Ego is the Enemy is next, then Stillness is the Key.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Be sure to check out Diogenes of Sinope, as he was one of the founders of Cynic philosophy. Cynicism and Stoicism interweave and are very much alike. Although Diogenes was a highly controversial figure as he took to extremes of the Cynic life... you can learn a lot from his actions. As he didn’t really write anything.

I believe now is the time, in the world we have today, to bring back into popularity Stoicism and Cynicism.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I was listening to The Obstacle is the Way. It's the only book of his that I've listened to/read.

I don't think any of his his books delve deeply into stoicism itself. He mentions in The Obstacle is the Way that there isn't much more to be said that the ancient Stoics haven't already told. He just offers a modern perspective.

Ego is the Enemy is next, then Stillness is the Key.
He has a book called the daily stoic I think.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Ryan Holiday's works are great too - mainly the Obstacle is the Way

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Bump.

I highly, highly recommend reading How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius by Donald Robertson. Only one out of maybe 5-10 books impacts me so much that I cover it with highlights and this book was one of them.

In the past (many years ago) I read the major Stoic works (Seneca the Younger, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius) as well as A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine. I still found a lot of value and food for thought in Robertson's book. He described Marcus Aurelius's life and offered practical lessons in a very captivating way.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Bump.

I highly, highly recommend reading How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius by Donald Robertson. Only one out of maybe 5-10 books impacts me so much that I cover it with highlights and this book was one of them.

In the past (many years ago) I read the major Stoic works (Seneca the Younger, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius) as well as A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine. I still found a lot of value and food for thought in Robertson's book. He described Marcus Aurelius's life and offered practical lessons in a very captivating way.

Just published the first part of my notes on this book (there will be three more):

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Bump.

I am reading the book right now and REALLY enjoy it.

Do you mind charing your other 5-10 books? You read a lot so I am curious what your top 5/10 are. ;)

For practical tips on applying stoicism I like this link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stoicism/comments/4bz797 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stoicism/comments/4bz797/practical_stoicism/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=Stoicism&utm_content=t3_a3itih

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Do you mind charing your other 5-10 books? You read a lot so I am curious what your top 5/10 are. ;)

I meant that only one out of 5-10 books impacts me so much, not that I only have 5-10 such books :)

Thanks for the link to that list on Reddit.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've studied philosophy on my own for about 15 years now and eventually moved on to Predicate Logic. I've found that there is a lot of things wrong with Stoicism(more so than other systems). A lot of inaccuracies and contradictions in those systems, something to keep in mind but a very good place to start.

For you to have a healthy emotional framework it needs to be tied to the correct principles(Logic). For example, how do you forgive or empathize with piece of sh*t people like Stalin, Mao, Caligula or Genghis Khan? Should we be angry or indifferent. If i'm angry is it "good" or "bad"?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I've studied philosophy on my own for about 15 years now and eventually moved on to Predicate Logic. I've found that there is a lot of things wrong with Stoicism(more so than other systems). A lot of inaccuracies and contradictions in those systems, something to keep in mind but a very good place to start.

For you to have a healthy emotional framework it needs to be tied to the correct principles(Logic). For example, how do you forgive or empathize with piece of sh*t people like Stalin, Mao, Caligula or Genghis Khan? Should we be angry or indifferent. If i'm angry is it "good" or "bad"?
If you ask me Roman Stoicism is an “involution” from the previous systems of Plato/Aristotle, which had a more comprehensive understanding of the emotions.

Roman Stoics take emotions like anger to be wholly bad - the virtuous man never feels angry. Whereas Plato and Aristotle would say that there are times when anger is justified, and the sage would be angry.

Having said that, Stoicism is probably a better practical philosophy for statesmen, businessmen athletes, soldiers and the like, because it’s straight to the point and gives you 80-90% of the benefit without requiring anywhere near the same effort.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
My personal philosophy takes a lot from Stoicism. Stoic principles came very handy many times in my life, especially when going through adversity. I credit my resilience by far to Stoicism.

Just a reminder for those reading Marcus Aurelius, we are essentially reading his journal. If you have ever maintained one, you know that you don't 100% live up to what you write that you should live up too. Most should start with Seneca, then Marcus and lastly Epictetus.

More importantly, make what you read your own. Don't be dogmatic, make the philosophy better. And share it, like Ryan Holiday for example.

Stoicism has principles for that. No?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Just published the first part of my notes on this book (there will be three more):

Ha my tweet with the link to the first part of my notes was retweeted by the author of the book:

View: https://twitter.com/DiscomfortClub/status/1500731164558082048/retweets

d.png

Should we be angry or indifferent. If i'm angry is it "good" or "bad"?

In Stoicism, anger is expected as a natural initial reaction but what's expected of a Stoic is to control it. You can't make good decisions when you're angry, no matter why you're angry. Come to think of it, you can't make good decisions under the influence of most emotions.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Come to think of it, you can't make good decisions under the influence of most emotions.

Yeah partially true. But remember the end goal of philosophy is just that. To make the connection between the intellect and our emotions. We want to feel good and be smart.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I published four long-form articles with my notes from this book. You can check them out here:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I published four long-form articles with my notes from this book. You can check them out here:

Those are great posts @MTF thank you for doing this. I love your blog, I really so think you’ve hit a soft spot with it - a common pain-point for many men today.

I really liked the last one - I feel you’ve tackled some of the larger philosophical aspects of the VALUE of discipline and discomfort in terms of virtue there.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing once again!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I understand your outrage. The people you listed are "evil" in a classic way. You forgive others for yourself -- not for them. They aren't impacted by how you feel about them -- you are. Even the person who has directly hurt you is in the same category. Forgiving them is not about them at all. It takes a big person to see the offender for what they are -- a person with a deformed spirit.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
“After experience had taught me that all the usual surroundings of social life are vain and futile; seeing that none of the objects of my fears contained in themselves anything either good or bad, except in so far as the mind is affected by them, I finally resolved to inquire whether there might be some real good having power to communicate itself, which would affect the mind singly, to the exclusion of all else: whether, in fact, there might be anything of which the discovery and attainment would enable me to enjoy continuous, supreme, and unending happiness.”

Should I starts a thread/symposium on Spinoza’s Ethics? A philosophy that I have studied since 15 years old. Einstein’s favorite philosopher. A philosophy that has change my life and is a culmination of all philosophy? A challenge on understanding geometric logic?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
“After experience had taught me that all the usual surroundings of social life are vain and futile; seeing that none of the objects of my fears contained in themselves anything either good or bad, except in so far as the mind is affected by them, I finally resolved to inquire whether there might be some real good having power to communicate itself, which would affect the mind singly, to the exclusion of all else: whether, in fact, there might be anything of which the discovery and attainment would enable me to enjoy continuous, supreme, and unending happiness.”

Should I starts a thread/symposium on Spinoza’s Ethics? A philosophy that I have studied since 15 years old. Einstein’s favorite philosopher. A philosophy that has change my life and is a culmination of all philosophy? A challenge on understanding geometric logic?
I've also studied Spinoza, I think starting the thread would be very good and very beneficial for a lot of people :fistbump:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.