The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Steps in getting a product designed and manufactured

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I have an idea to have a product made that is already in the marketplace. I see an opening for two reasons.

1. The current players are not doing any marketing.
2. There is no real mid level option. There are cheapos, and high end products.

My idea is to take the current high end design and change it slightly to lower the price.

I was thinking of going on a platform like Fiver and have someone draw up a CAD that I could give to a CNC manufacturer.

My question is when I present this CAD to manufacturers, will they need every detail laid out?
I doubt that someone can create a highly detailed CAD over the internet (I could be wrong). So this part of the process is escaping me.

Or is it as simple as sending the product that is already on the market to product designer/manufacturer, and tell them to make me one, but with minor changes?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
elance will generally have higher quality designers as they charge more, I wouldn't waste my time with fiverr, especially on something so complex. What is the product made of?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, what is the product made of? That will help determine the WHERE and HOW.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Yea I used fiver just as an example.
Im currently looking at either Aluminum or Zinc.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
My question is when I present this CAD to manufacturers, will they need every detail laid out?
Manufacturers will create your product from the CAD file. So yes, every detail should be laid out unless you want them to make changes that you may not necessarily like.

I doubt that someone can create a highly detailed CAD over the internet (I could be wrong). So this part of the process is escaping me.
Not sure of your question. Are you doubting you can find someone who can create good CAD models using the online freelance sites?

If you're looking for a product designer, I posted something in Eskil's thread about what to look for - https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...m-prototype-to-sales.50951/page-3#post-342842

Or is it as simple as sending the product that is already on the market to product designer/manufacturer, and tell them to make me one, but with minor changes?

This would work. If you're concerned about the look, then hire a designer to make the changes. If the details aren't that important, the manufacturer's engineers or a CAD draftsmen (knowledgeable about the manufacturing process) could probably do it for cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
What should I provide the designer to make their job easier?
A design brief. You can probably Google to find some that would be useful.

When you approach a designer, I assume they will ask for this too.

It sounds like you're after something pretty specific, so that should be easier to start with. Maybe you could print out a picture of the existing product and mark up/draw over the changes you want to make. They're visual people so that would help a lot.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
I have an idea to have a product made that is already in the marketplace. I see an opening for two reasons.

1. The current players are not doing any marketing.
2. There is no real mid level option. There are cheapos, and high end products.

My idea is to take the current high end design and change it slightly to lower the price.

I was thinking of going on a platform like Fiver and have someone draw up a CAD that I could give to a CNC manufacturer.

Hey i am at a similar hurdle, https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/innovation-idea-step-1.55655/#post-406351

I am looking for an engineer to produce a prototype,

I don't think anybody has mentioned to you, but CAD and 3D printing will be a much cheaper process for you since it only involves plastic at the 1st stages. Then once you have played around with and got it finalised you can then go ahead and make the final metal CNC result which reduces much more risk making 25 wrong CNC fails.

If you have no idea what I am talking about this video should help you get an idea:

hope this helps, feel free to PM me of you want to bounce ideas of each other.

Regards,

Phil

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Hey i am at a similar hurdle, https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/innovation-idea-step-1.55655/#post-406351

I am looking for an engineer to produce a prototype,

I don't think anybody has mentioned to you, but CAD and 3D printing will be a much cheaper process for you since it only involves plastic at the 1st stages. Then once you have played around with and got it finalised you can then go ahead and make the final metal CNC result which reduces much more risk making 25 wrong CNC fails.

If you have no idea what I am talking about this video should help you get an idea:

hope this helps, feel free to PM me of you want to bounce ideas of each other.

Regards,

Phil
thanks.
Actually figured it out...im now going back and forth with Chinese (had problems with getting American manufactures to simply reply to my messages) suppliers now about manufacturing.

Ended up just giving a product designer a product that was already made, and told him the changes I wanted made.
I now have the CAD files I need, and just send the files to manufactures.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Its a a no-no for serious entrepreneurs.

Pick up the phone.
Yea your right.
Now that I think about it...all of the wholesalers/manufacturers ive visited have been old school types.

Dealing w/ China is super slow anyway...im ready to get going.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Yea your right.
Now that I think about it...all of the wholesalers/manufacturers ive visited have been old school types.

Dealing w/ China is super slow anyway...im ready to get going.

My engineer pointed out to me after he contacted Australian ones for me with no reply that most won't bother with inventors and entrepreneurs as once you get in to manufacturing and tooling you are in the big bucks. That's probably why, everyone has an idea. Protomold I think they are called are a good us based company for cheap tools and small runs, and their quoting system is super easy. But yeah pick up the phone, then maybe even go and meet with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I just sat down and made a list of local suppliers to call.

Ive made it through a few so far and their main concern seem to be order size.
So im taking down the email addresses of the sales guys and sending them my specs.

Something they all ask is if im a business. I keep it honest and tell them I create products for eCommerce websites.
I wonder what they think of that.

Also...prior to making the calls a wave of fear came over me...I really didnt expect that.
It took some serious thinking to get over it and dial those numbers.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Keep it up :). You will hear a lot of no's before you get that one yes, but that will make it worthwhile

I dont understand what "create products for ecommerce sites" means. Probably the same for the sales guys.

Just say you're a small business/entrepreneur, nothing wrong with that. Order size will always be a concern, but you just need one guy to give you a shot.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.