The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stay-at-home dad with a $100k budget to start a side business while parenting. What business do you recommend?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 9, 2019
Manhattan
Curious what you folks would do in my situation.

I'm 34, background in online marketing, renewables, consumer products, fund raising and living in NYC. I started several businesses before but not in this scenario.

The business should have the aim to run profitably without me in the future.

Shoot!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I'm 34, background in online marketing, renewables, consumer products, fund raising and living in NYC. I started several businesses before but not in this scenario.

Shoot!

Man, I mean I feel as if there's a million options. With your background and situation though, it sounds like building an online store would be ideal. In terms of what to sell, well that part would be on you (seems like you might have experience here though). Starting with drop shipping might be a decent place to start then move towards building your own brand if things work out which can end up being pretty automated and self sufficient.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Any formidable answer in this thread would be completely worthless. We might as well just recommend some penny stock, because essentially that's what you are asking for.

We don't really know you, your skills, or what drives you. No one here will be able to make a valid recommendation for what you should do to grow your wealth.

There are a lot of businesses fully laid out on this forum that you can research yourself. start with the gold threads or whatever is in the INSIDERS area.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Any formidable answer in this thread would be completely worthless. We might as well just recommend some penny stock, because essentially that's what you are asking for.

We don't really know you, your skills, or what drives you. No one here will be able to make a valid recommendation for what you should do to grow your wealth.

There are a lot of businesses fully laid out on this forum that you can research yourself. start with the gold threads or whatever is in the INSIDERS area.
Agree. And look deeper into the industries you've already worked in: most people want to jump ship and do something in a completely different industry than their day-job, while there's gold right under their feet solving problems in a niche they already know.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
do some due diligence. maybe look to purchase a small business and run it.
put some goals together and some direction. what is your why?
then do a skills / inventory assessment and some market research.
where all of those roads cross could be your first trial run.

if all that sounds too hard, invest in mutual funds and hope.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The problem is that choosing a business to start isn't at all like picking the best brand of bicycle or breed of dog. With those things you can give a few criteria, a budget, and enthusiasts can lead you down a few possible paths that make sense for you.

In business - it doesn't work like that at all.

Asking what business you should start might as well be asking what kind of girl you should marry.

In both questions, the more specific the answers are, the more likely they are to be incorrect for you. And while the vaguest answers are the most frustrating to hear - they are also the ones most likely to be correct.

A business is a passion that you will be spending every day with, working on for hours non-stop, for years and years. You'll be adding your own personal flair to it at every step and it will be growing organically out of your efforts. It's simply impossible for anyone else on this planet to help you.

That being said - it's a LOT easier to help you evaluate a business you're interested in once you get started down a path. But it's up to you to pick the path.

Also, with $100k, there's not a hell of a lot you couldn't start so it's probably best to ignore the financial aspect at first and instead focus on what you can see yourself pouring your heart and soul into for years as a first step.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark
What about buying a business? @Greg R has an amazing progress thread on a business he bought. He did it while working a full time job, so you still have time to be a parent.b

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
What about buying a business? @Greg R has an amazing progress thread on a business he bought. He did it while working a full time job, so you still have time to be a parent.b

Not to go against your point, but the business @Greg R bought was absolute trash when he bought it and would be worthless if he let it operate the same way as when he acquired it.

Greg was the difference. Him acquiring the business just helped him streamline his focus and cut down on the 3 months that it would've taken him to develop a product.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Not to go against your point, but the business @Greg R bought was absolute trash when he bought it and would be worthless if he let it operate the same way as when he acquired it.

Greg was the difference. Him acquiring the business just helped him streamline his focus and cut down on the 3 months that it would've taken him to develop a product.
@AgainstAllOdds that might be exactly what this dude needs .......
I saw this post this morning and was hesitant to respond...

What is the motivation here? To make money? Or do you think you will find really joy in business that you're not getting elsewhere?

If you've started several business already, you should know what to do.

There are plently of Fastlaners here who can grow your bank roll and know exactly what to do with $100k. The thing is, not a single Fastlaner here can properly tell YOU what you should do with it, because they are not you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

awsamro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 28, 2019
I like this questions.... I'm in a similar situation. I have enough savings to last me for a couple of years and I do not know what to do. Right now I work my a$$ off as a mortgage broker. I sell a lot but I also work a lot and I know it's not sustainable. I do not know what fast lane path to embrace. Shall I learn to code or shall I learn to license products or shall I learn how to build a shopify store or shall I build a youtube channel. I want a path that has an ending where I do not have to work any more. I know MJ thinks that it's the wrong selfish motive... buy hey, it's the truth.... If i dig deep and ask myself what I desire, I basically desire the ability to do nothing. I don't really care how many people I help or if I'm useful to society. If I had money I would not work another day of my life. I would spend my time with my aging parents, raising my kids, teaching them stuff, hanging out, learning things, reading philosophy..... I wouldn't do another thing that is work related... Any path that will get me there I will embrace. I don't have to love it. I will love the result it brings. I am going to take a sabatical as soon as I find a fast lane path that I can invest my time in......... So I like this question...

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@awsamro I wouldn't call focusing on your family and raising your kids doing nothing by any means.

I don't think MJ would say it's wrong either, hence the chapter about earning enough money to drop into municipal bonds that you can live off of forever.

I'm still striving to get out of the slowlane, but it seems like you have skill as a mortgage broker. So leveraging that into a fastlane business seems like the way to go?

awsamro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 28, 2019
@awsamro I wouldn't call focusing on your family and raising your kids doing nothing by any means.

I don't think MJ would say it's wrong either, hence the chapter about earning enough money to drop into municipal bonds that you can live off of forever.

I'm still striving to get out of the slowlane, but it seems like you have skill as a mortgage broker. So leveraging that into a fastlane business seems like the way to go?
How? I think my strength is sales.. I love meeting new people and getting them to like me and trust me as fast as possible. I also love catering my presentaitons to different personality types and different cultures and get a kick from connecting with people. I was thinking of becoming a sales trainer or personal development trainer in the Arab world... But it seems like a lot of work still haha... doesn't seem like a fastlane.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
The fastlane is a lot of work. It's not get rich easy.

However you have scale and magnitude on your side, instead of being tied to your time, which leads you to real wealth.

How is your duty to figure out. I'm not in the broker industry so I can't really tell you. From a far it seems like brokerage or real estate firm, making a system out of it, and franchising it may be possible. But there are likely other things that can be done too, but you need to be an INSIDERS to know what.

However, if your strength is sales, you can likely leverage that in almost any market or industry. Which one? That's up to you. The niche I chose is one I love and can envision myself working in and with for the rest of my life. I'd love to be able to have the full vertical of this industry, and to work with the consumers that want these products. That's what made me decide this niche over any others.

Of course I'm not rich yet, so.........................all my words come with much salt. ;)

awsamro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 28, 2019
The fastlane is a lot of work. It's not get rich easy.

However you have scale and magnitude on your side, instead of being tied to your time, which leads you to real wealth.

How is your duty to figure out. I'm not in the broker industry so I can't really tell you. From a far it seems like brokerage or real estate firm, making a system out of it, and franchising it may be possible. But there are likely other things that can be done too, but you need to be an INSIDERS to know what.

However, if your strength is sales, you can likely leverage that in almost any market or industry. Which one? That's up to you. The niche I chose is one I love and can envision myself working in and with for the rest of my life. I'd love to be able to have the full vertical of this industry, and to work with the consumers that want these products. That's what made me decide this niche over any others.

Of course I'm not rich yet, so.........................all my words come with much salt. ;)
I'm not looking for quick or easy. I work hard and don't mind that. It's just that currently my path is not leading to time freedom - I have to keep selling to keep making money. I don't mind working on something that I do not love it if will lead to freedom. What is your niche?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
My niche is crystals. Hence the name :smile2:

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark

gClaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 22, 2016
Michigan

Shoot!
Creative teal estate investing.

Shoot!
Build a creative real estate investing business and put systems in place so you're 'working' on your business maybe 3 hrs a day & going scuba diving the rest of it because you can. Seriously, one year from today that could realistically be happening for you if you stayed off the couch and paid your dues (and a good coach/mentor whose already paved the road and for you w/ experience) you definitely could multi-multiply that initial $100k you have in seed money with real estate. True story.

That's what I'd anyways if I was in your shoes.

Best wishes in whatever endeavor you choose to do.

Just do something. Take action. And be consistent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.