The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

State-Dependant Sensory Perception (WTF is that!?)

Anything related to matters of the mind

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
State-Dependant Sensory Perception (WTF is that!?)

Imagine for a moment that you have a full glass of your favorite alcoholic beverage directly in front of you. Big, bright, and colorful, that glass is just calling your name.

How does this make you feel?

I mean, after all, it is your favorite alcoholic drink! So you must be loving it, right!?

Well, the answer is: it depends.
  • Are you thinking of the feeling of the alcohol going down your throat as you hit the bar with your best buds?
  • Or is it new years day, 7:00 in the morning, and you're wrapping your arms around the toilet bowl nursing the worst hangover in the world.
In this example, it demonstrates clearly that your emotional state impacts your perception of the alcohol. Does this make sense?

So how does this apply to business?

I'll share that with you in a moment, but first let me tell you another story...

When I was in second grade, our teacher put our names on the wall when we reached certain milestones of our childhood development.

Learning how to tie our shoes was one of them.

Do you remember the first time you tried to tie your shoes? You've never done it before, and it was IMPOSSIBLE. Yet, when you finally know how to do it; you know how to do it.

You see what I'm saying?

Ok, on to business....
  • Before you do something, it is hard (trying to get your first client to no avail?).
  • After you've done something before, it's easy (closing the first sale via your cold call?).
Imagine for a moment that you're caught in a depression. You haven't built your first business, and you have still yet to make your first sale. You're caught in a slump, and things aren't going right.

You're caught in one of those downward spirals and you can't break free.

When you are in this lowered emotional state, your perception of opportunities in front of you is grim (at best), and impossible (at worst).

The other week, I was having a conversation with another business owner who was caught in that "low vibrational state" and this emotional state had him looking at his business through the lens of being hungover on the first of the year, thinking about swallowing that next double shot of whiskey.

His emotional state impacted his perception, which impacted his behavior, which ultimately impacted his results.

Breaking Free

When he was talking about one of the problems he was facing in his business, I told him to shift his emotional state, feeling as if he already sold his business (his one-year goal). Then I told him to tell me to repeat the same frustration he was just talking about.

While he was simply repeating what he just told me: by shifting his emotional state (and making no other changes to his thought processes), the words he delivered came from someone who had experience selling many companies before.

So I tried this on myself...

This is my house. My home. My safe place...

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 10.40.28 PM.png
My Lake Tahoe Dream** Home.

Still a couple years away from that.

Whenever I make an important decision for my business, approach a sales call, or whatever it is, I imagine making this decision from the emotional state of already owning this, with $23.8 Million in the bank account.

This emotional state of abundance, and acting as if I'm already here provides me with the ability to look at whatever decision I'm making from the sense of a night out with my friends, and not hungover, arms wrapped around the toilet, on new years morning.

Summary:

The emotional state you are in shifts your perception of the opportunities that are in front of you. Whenever you make an important decision or face a struggle with your business, you may be surprised about how you already have the answers when you do so from the emotional state of already being at your destination.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly, after the heat I got from some people on my marketplace post, I don't feel my first post on this thread was "out there" enough, so I'll add some science and pure craziness to it...so let the trolls roll in!

The Double Split Experiment

In Quantum Physics, the famous story is called the Double Slit Experiment.

For anyone that knows me, I don't care about the science behind it, but how I can apply the conclusions they made to support my already-left-field belief system...

Conclusions of the study:
  1. When they set up the experiment to measure something as a particle, the atom/photon/whatever behaved as a particle.
  2. When they set up the experiment to measure something as a wave, the atom/photon/whatever behaved as a wave.
After repeating this many times, they discovered that the photon acted in a way that the scientists measured it to act (or something scientific like that).

This leads me to think that the mere observation of something can impact how the object/event/situation unfolds in your reality.
  • You ever notice those people where things always seem to go right for them, and they expect things to go right?
  • Or when you expect things to go poorly, the go poorly?
So when you operate from a state of things going right in your life, could this emotional state actually change the behavior of something outside of you?

Conversations with a free spirit.

I was talking to my friend about parallel universes and she said that there are an infinite amount of possibilities and every single possibility that could ever happen is happening simultaneously.
  • So in one universe, you pick up the phone and close that sales call.
  • In another universe, you pick up the same phone and you don't close that sales call.
  • And in another universe, you pick up the phone and Bin Laden comes back from the dead and cuts the chord to your phone, because cell phones don't exist in this reality.
Infinite possibilities.

If you've been struggling to grow your business, pay attention to your emotional state. Do you feel as if you're stuck in a universe where things don't go right for you. What would it feel like if you're in the universe where things always go right for you?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
In more "crazy" conversations I have with my friends outside of business circles...

They say that the past, present, and future is happening all at once, and we are only consciously observing this present moment in time. So if that future Lake Tahoe Dream House/$23.8 Million version of myself is already existing now...would that version of me already have the answers I need to my major business decisions?

Psychology...

Imagine floating out of your body and looking down at yourself.

Now, imagine floating back in time to when you are 5 or 6 years old, and don't try to think of it...but imagine whatever picture/scene naturally comes to mind. This right here is how you float back and forth on your timeline.

Now imagine floating into the future to your big business goal as if you already have achieved it and you are already that person who has evolved with more knowledge.

If we can go full-matrix on this, imagine that all of this is a hologram and the mere imagination of you floating into the body of your future-self is you getting a sneak peak into the future.

And when you operate from this standpoint, you already have the answeres to the questions you are looking to answer.

You just have the answers from a different perspective...

or

Is this just a hypnosis exercise to help you improve your mindset?

The world may never know...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yes your emotional state affects your thoughts and actions.

Thing is for a guy like me who often introspects, I can't change my state by imagining something.
I can only reason with myself to feel better in the context of my actual real life current situation.
Imagining I already sold my business would do nothing for me, cause i know that... i didn't sell anything yet.

Doing some internal reasoning however like focusing on baby steps, failures as lessons, avoiding the pain of regret, accepting that reality is absurd, etc
works for me, and it doesn't feel like im mindfucking myself or doing tricks. Its all rational thinking.

I guess to each his own right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Its all rational thinking.
Yeah, this is where I was 3 years ago.

As you can tell, I take a slightly different approach now ;)

In the more rational way of explaining how I view things...imagine as if you're building your dream house from the ground up. In your inner mind, you create that blueprint of what the final house will be (internally), and then use that as the basis of the practical steps (outside of you).

When you run into an obstacle during construction...let's say you're making a staircase when the house is 50% built, you imagine what the house would look like during the final construction, and then observe the step you take based on the blueprint.

I can't change my state by imagining something.
Can you change your state by imagining a past event?

For me, when I want to feel motivated, I go back to my high school football days and imagine running out on the field, bringing back the emotions from this past memory..and then I get my state from there before I work out.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yeah, this is where I was 3 years ago.

As you can tell, I take a slightly different approach now ;)

In the more rational way of explaining how I view things...imagine as if you're building your dream house from the ground up. In your inner mind, you create that blueprint of what the final house will be (internally), and then use that as the basis of the practical steps (outside of you).

When you run into an obstacle during construction...let's say you're making a staircase when the house is 50% built, you imagine what the house would look like during the final construction, and then observe the step you take based on the blueprint.

For me, when I want to feel motivated, I go back to my high school football days and imagine running out on the field, bringing back the emotions from this past memory..and then I get my state from there before I work out.

Yea i get the blueprint approach very well.
When i make apps or even just individual app features, as a good starting point i visualize the finished product or feature. With that visual i'm able to then deliberate and decide what my next step is. Its a fluid back and forth(circular) approach, by working on the product -> the finished product visual will get modified at some point -> that will in turn influence my next step decision.

I thought everyone did this!? lol isn't it natural?

Yes in some situations i can but i simply understand it as "confidence through experience", and the past event has to relate in some way.
If im tackling a challenge unlike anything i've tackled before than i have no past experiences to rely on, instead i rely on my rational thinking about life.

I can see how your footballer memory example can work.
I guess for me i prefer to generate the mental state from a non memory source.

ahh man ur making me really think deep here... i guess also do have "role models", people with certain characteristics that i want to emulate.
So if i feel im getting too gloomy and serious, i think about one of my very lighthearted chill friends and try to emulate that part of their personality.
But that emulation is also combined with my rational thinking about life having no understood meaning which also chills me out.
This is actually ironic because that particular friend also is very religiously devout, whereas im not.
Yet i could discard the religious part and insert my own "life has no meaning" opinion and combine with his lighthearted demeanor to create my own personal "state" concoction...

Most of the time though i use rational thinking and environment manipulation to achieve the state i want.
Like putting on headphones and putting on some ambient futuristic blade runner city sounds

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.