The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starving artist no more!

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
I am a 23 year old classical musician who wants to realize his dreams of affluence, limitless wealth and passive income. I have been force fed by society that artists will always remain poor, if not mediocre at best, because of the kind of industry we are in.

Ever heard of the term "starving artist"? This is a common picture that is being associated with us artists: be it musicians, painters or writers.

"Unless fame graces your way, you will be among the 99.9% of artists who will just never make it."

I remember feeling so depressed when I realized this as I entered into my first year in Music school. So why did I still decide to study Music then? Because it is what I love to do, it’s my gift. I heeded my desires to learn Music for selfish reasons.

But the dream of a great life never died. After graduation, I thought of all the ways I could realize this big dream: To have a great life and still do what I love to do. I distilled my big dream into one word---Freedom. And I am willing to do whatever it takes to have it.

After graduating college, I spent the next three years of my life like MJ: burning cash to every seminar I could get my hands on in search to find the key to wealth. I was so excited and so foolish. I went from one opportunity to the next ultimately leading to a bleeding credit card balance and a mountain of debt. Sad and disheartened, I sulked back and almost accepted the fate that the secret to wealth was too elusive and that maybe Art and Music were to be my only consolation---at least I get lost in a fantasy world of happy emotions as I indulge in what I love doing.

It all changed when I read the book: Millionaire Fastlane . I could go on and on about this book but in one phrase I can tell that this book gave me the 360 degree mindshift I badly needed. In short, by quoting MJ's own words from the book, "gift a dream" is really what Millionaire Fastlane gave me. It resurrected my dreams because I could CLEARLY see the roadmap of what it really takes to gain massive wealth, complete time and money freedom and having the world as your playground.

So here I am in the forum. I want to thank you all guys for having me here.

Cheers to our fastlane success!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Welcome to the best forum on the net.

I too, am an artist as a hobby. I love working with pastels, pencil, and acrylic paint. I just finished 2 pastel paintings for my Daughter...who's also an artist..again, as a hobby.

A smaller part of my motivation to the fastlane for me is the freedom to paint whenever I want.

So are you looking to switch to the fastlane through your gift ? or to have enough money and time to do it however, and wherever you want ?

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
Hi Bigguns50

Thanks for replying. My biggest dream is to live total time and financial freedom. Yes, to do whatever I want, whenever and however I want it.

One of my dilemmas right now is, and I hope you could give your thoughts on it, is how I could achieve that freedom without totally sacrificing what I love doing (not just a hobby) which is Music. In other words, as I am engaged in the process of Fastlane and acquiring wealth, is it possible to keep what I love doing and not totally abandon all its activities?

One hour a day is all I ask. One hour, or maybe two, of just selfish practice with my chosen instrument: the classical guitar. And I am set to work 10-12 hours a day on my money tree. Tell me, is this okay and not too much of a conflict?

Art is a selfish passion. It wants constant attention and affection on a daily basis. As an artist, I know you understand what I am talking about. You feel rejuvenated and renewed whenever you paint. I, too, feel the same. Whenever I practice or perform Music, it's my therapy, it's provides me emotional and spiritual strength everyday. I feel torn whenever I recall this advice given by an MLM fanatic (back when I was still searching for the key to wealth. NOT IN MLM ANYMORE), "if you want to build a business, all your efforts and work should be 100% on it"

While that is obviously so true and ideal, I want to make just a little time in the day for what I love doing. I'm not asking 5-6 or even 3-4 hours anymore. But just one hour. ONE HOUR FOR MY ART. Heck, I am even willing to replace my exercise time (which is pretty much the same that we all do 1-2 hours of exercise) just for it.

You may be wondering, why am I so problematic about this? It's because Music is not just a hobby for me. I need my daily dose of practice everyday, so to speak.

Your thoughts?

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
It isn't either/or. You do need time for recreation, but maybe not as much as you think.

I've been playing guitar for 25 years, ran a recording studio full time for 2 of those years, played many gigs, built and restored guitar amps and recording equipment... even now my sideline hustle is repairing guitar amps. If you didn't figure it out all ready, I'll tell you.. I've been pretty much obsessed with making music/music related things all of my life.

All of that to say, I've realized that most of that was for me, not the people I was trying to serve. My way to do something I enjoy, get recognition and also a way to escape the present realty. No wonder money has been tight for most of those years!

I used to "require" at least 2 hours a day of listening or playing. Now that I'm focused on finding/building a business that serves others needs, most days I play for 10 minutes and some days not at all! I should be recording those 10 minutes because often times its so full of passion, energy, and creativity - better than when I have all the time in the world to play!

I have not given up on the idea of having limitless time for music related activities. I have just realized that for me to ever have that, I need to sacrifice some of that in the now.

A couple more thoughts from my journey:

Whenever I would hit a roadblock in pursuing business I would struggle with "maybe I wasn't meant to be wealthy and I should be pursuing my art". You will have these times. You will face obstacles, you will fail. There is so much you don't know about the process (so much I don't know yet!). Keep going. It's all a part of the process. It's the barrier that most people are unwilling to push through which gives us the opportunity to do something great. If you need a little more time for music some days, take it - but don't make that a habit while your building a business.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Hey Carlo, welcome to the Fastlane Forum!

I too, am an artist, but only up until last month I chose to become a hobbyist artist. I love to draw with pen, pencils, paint with oils, digitally, and to do 3D art too. Unfortunately it just doesn't pay proportionally to the amount of work you put in, and that's what always pissed me off about it. Successful, Full-Time artists are some of the hardest working mother F*ckers in the world, yet they get paid terrible wages.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for art though, and that isn't just because I enjoy doing it.
I will always respect art because of the great value it can provide to a person which will force them to grow if they're serious about it.

You learn how to learn, you learn how to fail, you learn how to be self critical, you learn how to take critique from others, and last and most importantly you learn self-discipline. This is assuming you're intending to join the art rat race, with the expectation of a career, filled with millions of other artists that DO NOT stop working to improve EVER.

Also, it equips you with a mindset that can be really useful when trying to learn other things in life, including business.

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@superb ... Some great advice from @Carlo J. and @Kernicles. I agree with them.

I also love to play piano, spend time with family, travel, workout, and on and on. When building a fastlane business..THAT is high priority...but...in real life you also have other priorities and everyone's is different.

People talk about balance. I am a believer in balancing your life to be happy. Some argue when starting a business you can't balance and I suppose that has to do with each person's priorities.

I take time to paint, workout, and play the piano, and help people. I DO NOT take as much time as I would like, but this is the trade off of building my own fastlane and I'm ok with that.

I know my life time here is limited and I hope with some blessings, luck, and making the right decisions, I will be here in this life for many more years.

None of us can tell you exactly what to do. You have to make your own path. You will figure it out.

Keep reading all the gold in this forum and keep us posted on your progress and problems.

Gruby Phil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Dec 12, 2011
Poland
Hi Carlo,
Another musician here and classical guitar is my first instrument :) I've worked in music industry for a few years now and I must say it's nothing how I imagined it to be (but you probably already know that). Just one piece of advice for guys who are thinking about it: When you reach professional level no one gives a shit if you feel inspired or not, you have a deadline and you have to deliver. End of story. It's very tough out there but I totally agree with you.

Once you fall in love with music there is no coming back. You don't have to do it for a living but it always will be part of your life.
BTW. You can treat music industry as any other market (although it's ver competitive one). There are many problems that still need solution here. I know few guys who made millions selling tools for musicians.

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
I have not given up on the idea of having limitless time for music related activities. I have just realized that for me to ever have that, I need to sacrifice some of that in the now.

Hi superb.

Thanks for the wonderful insight.

I am just happy that their are like-minded people who are artists and musicians too that are working there way in the Fastlane.

How do you keep your artistic appetite sated though? How does your life in the process of Fastlane look like right now?

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
Hi Carlo,
Another musician here and classical guitar is my first instrument :) I've worked in music industry for a few years now and I must say it's nothing how I imagined it to be (but you probably already know that). Just one piece of advice for guys who are thinking about it: When you reach professional level no one gives a shit if you feel inspired or not, you have a deadline and you have to deliver. End of story. It's very tough out there but I totally agree with you.

Once you fall in love with music there is no coming back. You don't have to do it for a living but it always will be part of your life.
BTW. You can treat music industry as any other market (although it's ver competitive one). There are many problems that still need solution here. I know few guys who made millions selling tools for musicians.

Yes and thus the worst case of money contaminating your precious love for it.

I don't want that to happen ever!

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
@superb ... Some great advice from @Carlo J. and @Kernicles. I agree with them.

I also love to play piano, spend time with family, travel, workout, and on and on. When building a fastlane business..THAT is high priority...but...in real life you also have other priorities and everyone's is different.

People talk about balance. I am a believer in balancing your life to be happy. Some argue when starting a business you can't balance and I suppose that has to do with each person's priorities.

I take time to paint, workout, and play the piano, and help people. I DO NOT take as much time as I would like, but this is the trade off of building my own fastlane and I'm ok with that.

I know my life time here is limited and I hope with some blessings, luck, and making the right decisions, I will be here in this life for many more years.

None of us can tell you exactly what to do. You have to make your own path. You will figure it out.

Keep reading all the gold in this forum and keep us posted on your progress and problems.

Thank you.

I think this is where delayed gratification really comes into play. You must make it a point to never let too much time be taken away from building your business.

All the best Bigguns50 :)

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
Hey Carlo, welcome to the Fastlane Forum!

I too, am an artist, but only up until last month I chose to become a hobbyist artist. I love to draw with pen, pencils, paint with oils, digitally, and to do 3D art too. Unfortunately it just doesn't pay proportionally to the amount of work you put in, and that's what always pissed me off about it. Successful, Full-Time artists are some of the hardest working mother F*ckers in the world, yet they get paid terrible wages.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for art though, and that isn't just because I enjoy doing it.
I will always respect art because of the great value it can provide to a person which will force them to grow if they're serious about it.

You learn how to learn, you learn how to fail, you learn how to be self critical, you learn how to take critique from others, and last and most importantly you learn self-discipline. This is assuming you're intending to join the art rat race, with the expectation of a career, filled with millions of other artists that DO NOT stop working to improve EVER.

Also, it equips you with a mindset that can be really useful when trying to learn other things in life, including business.

I can relate exactly to what you are saying. I am no Joshua Bell. If you have remembered in the book, Joshua Bell is a phenomenal violinist that gets paid BIG to do what he does.

The rest are being given dirt-pay and are living meager lives. Sad, but true.

One of my altruisitc goals is to change that paradigm and reality.

I want to become a Billionaire Musician and use the Fastlane process as the key to wealth!

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I can relate exactly to what you are saying. I am no Joshua Bell. If you have remembered in the book, Joshua Bell is a phenomenal violinist that gets paid BIG to do what he does.

The rest are being given dirt-pay and are living meager lives. Sad, but true.

One of my altruisitc goals is to change that paradigm and reality.

I want to become a Billionaire Musician and use the Fastlane process as the key to wealth!

Same here, that is one of my goals. To become a billionaire artist and to travel and paint landscapes and portraits because I can, without the worry of money. The plan is to take whatever money I make off of selling my art in the future to donate to the needy.

Carlo J.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 4, 2014
Same here, that is one of my goals. To become a billionaire artist and to travel and paint landscapes and portraits because I can, without the worry of money.

I never thought I'd find someone who thought EXACTLY like me! How awesome is this forum!!! Man! Cyber HIGH FIVE!!!! :)

The plan is to take whatever money I make off of selling my art in the future to donate to the needy.

Oh yes! me too! me too! me too!

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
Hi superb.

Thanks for the wonderful insight.

I am just happy that their are like-minded people who are artists and musicians too that are working there way in the Fastlane.

How do you keep your artistic appetite sated though? How does your life in the process of Fastlane look like right now?

The little time I spend playing, writing, recording is more satisfying. Like I mentioned before, when I pick up guitar for a few minutes, I have so much pent up creativity and energy that whatever I play is fresh - I'm not banging out the same stuff every time I play. When it comes to writing/recording, being I have little time to spend, I commit and get it done. I don't have time to trying limitless sounds/arrangements so I don't try to. It's more satisfying because I'm bringing stuff to completion.

To answer the second question: I'm employed working 50 hours per week. Besides spending time with my wife, my off time is spent building my guitar amp repair business, learning to write better copy, researching business ideas. I'm on my way to the fastlane. For me I needed to have a major shift in my mindset to be able to recognize and execute on them:

Learning that sacrificing time and things you want won't kill you and not wasting any time.
Learning that it's not about your passion - it's about what the worlds needs.
Learning that you're capable of working much harder than you ever thought you could.
Learning to serve better than anyone else.
Learning that you can start from nothing.
Learning that those obstacles are there for your benefit.
Learning that I need to keep engaging with the market for my own personal growth whether it is fastlane or not.

I'm still learning these things. They are some of the checkpoints you must pass through if you are ever to be admitted entrance onto the fastlane. I know that as long as I keep engaging the process, the idea and my ability to execute it well will come together at the right time

PMac

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jun 17, 2014
Welcome, Carlo!

I'm also a musician who has been grinding the last few years trying to make it as a "starving artist."

Reading MJ's book gave me the same mindset shift that you mentioned and prompted me to get in the Fastlane.

Cheers to you for taking the first step! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...