The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

starting up with SEO, keywords and other seo help

Marketing, social media, advertising

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
My site launched about a week and a half ago and is just now 100% complete. I have done a little bit to make it SEO friendly and done a little bit with keywords, but am unsure of my keywords choice and how to go after SEO. Right now i plan on doing a lot of APPROPRIATE blog commenting and forum posting. We also do a lot with social media, mainly twitter.

Before i start talking about my keywords and all if you would like to help you will need to check out my site first to understand my product and such. here is the link: ProGripz - Xbox 360 Controller Grips

I have been using Xbox 360 Controller Grips as my key phrase to get ranked in. But google insights only predicted about 480 searches/month for this with high competition. Im not sure why it is high competition as we do not have a ton of competitors. All the phrases i tried for were around 300-700 searches/month with high competition.

I want a phrase that is more searched therefore bringing in more visitors a month if/when we get to the top of the serps.

Any help, comments, advice, etc. are greatly appreciated here :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I'll start off by saying that SEO is not my specialty, but I will give some input from what i know of it. The broad search term on google keyword tool seems to inflate the numbers. If you uncheck that, and check the boxes for exact and phrase, it shows 110 global monthly searches. From my understanding, getting in the top 3 spots of google usually result in about 1/3 of that number for monthly visitors. 35 visitors. Google PageRank Checker - Check Google page rank of any web pages can show you the page rank of the top 3 competition (don't do it for the paid ads). If those numbers are PR3 or less, you are in good shape (I think that is the case).

Having the exact phrase at the beginning of your title tag will help, as well in the description. The results for your term (amazon x2, and the other site are not doing that). The long URL's for amazon also hurts it.

One more time, this is not my specialty so anybody feel free to build on/edit what I said.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
By no means am I an expert either, however, I just read SEO Made Simple and actually enjoyed it and felt it had some great ideas. $3.99 in kindle store. Gave me a great starting point for link building, etc. Try downloading SEO Quake as well (If you have Firefox). One of its most powerful features is a "Diagnosis" tool that will tell you what your site is missing for On-Page SEO. Best of luck!

cwmateiuc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2012
By no means am I an expert either, however, I just read SEO Made Simple and actually enjoyed it and felt it had some great ideas. $3.99 in kindle store. Gave me a great starting point for link building, etc. Try downloading SEO Quake as well (If you have Firefox). One of its most powerful features is a "Diagnosis" tool that will tell you what your site is missing for On-Page SEO. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip on SEO Quake.. I just downloaded it.

TimFrancis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 30, 2012
Checked out your site. Right off the bat - loved the way I *immediately* understood your product. Site is simple, straightforward, really appreciated that. Great start :)

After my initial excitement, though, I kind of panicked.... where is the Buy Now button on the main page? Your product is sooooo obvious, it seems to me that as long as the price is reasonable, people will just want to buy it immediately and not be encumbered by clicking around. Give it a shot!

Best way I know of for keyword research.... has helped me tremendously.... is:

1) Literally write down the answer to this statement: "My ideal customer is... (someone who is actively searching online for Xbox 360 grips to reduce sweating and slippage when they play intense gaming sessions)" ....or something like that. This is crucial, or else you can get lost in the "keyword candy store" real quickly.

2) Go to the Google Keyword tool. Just pick a keyword that seems relevant to your product, then:
- from the results, select other keywords that match your ideal customer profile
- keep collecting keywords

3) Once you've got a handful of keywords, go to Google.com and search those keywords, and see who the top SEM and SEO sites are; copy their URLs.... put into keyword tool (in URL box) to scan them for keywords. Keep collecting new keywords that match your ideal customer definition.

4) Take your keywords over to blogsearch.google.com ... type them each into the search field. Visit the blogs and see what kind of language is being used - maybe there's a term for your product you hadn't thought of. Also scan the blogs (using URL field again in Keyword tool) to see if other keywords pop up.

...this is only a portion of what I would normally do, but hopefully it's enough to to give you something to chew on.

Tim :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I do like the fact that I know instantly what your site is about, but like Tim said, where's the buy now button? I don't think you need to do a lot of talking to sell your product.

I would look at the keyword research, and what potential buyers may type in. However, I'm guessing you'll find that there isn't much type-in traffic for controller grips (but I may be wrong). If that's the case, you will need to focus less on SEO, and focus the majority of your time in getting the word OUT THERE.

Send your product to video game bloggers, prominent gaming forum members (moderators, etc.), anyone big in the gaming industry who has a following. Get on Twitter, Instagram (meh on this one, really), get celebrity endorsements. If gaming magazines are still getting read, I would contact a couple magazines and see how much a full page advertisement costs (although I wouldn't normally recommend this route, but could be pretty huge for awareness). If you can come up with a funny, helpful YouTube video (think Dollar Shave Club), you could drive a lot of traffic to your website.

Have you thought about getting into stores like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.? Do you have product packaging, and is it good? Likwid and Vigilante could be a helpful resource for you (get an INSIDERS's subscription - it's worth every penny and then some).

Good luck, I really hope to see you succeed with this!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Here's some Feedback on SEO for you.

Where are your H1 tags? One of the most important aspects of SEO (it tells Google and browsers what your page is about!), URLs aren't friendly (although less important that H1 tags), where's your product description (on the product page). EVERY single page needs a UNIQUE description (unique on your site and everywhere else on the net). I'd try to get some more photos. Testimonials would work great for this product as well, and I think you should definitely add product reviews (for SEO value, unique content, increase in conversions, etc.).

Where's your Meta Description? That's extremely important for click through rates. You don't want Google to control the snippet that shows int he SERPs, so write unique Meta descriptions. One or two sentences would be fine. Make sure they're unique for every page.

That's what I saw really quick, the on-page SEO on your site isn't very good. What e-commerce software are you using? Big Commerce might be a pretty big improvement in this area, since your product is so simple.

Again, I think the non-SEO Marketing will be the best way to get traction for your product. Oh, and I forgot, find someone in the gaming industry that can issue a press release (so the Magazines/websites will pick it up). And give your product to video game magazine writers as well and ask that they review it.

This could be huge man! Good luck!

mtjr825

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit, MI
You have a good product. SEO has changed a lot. I think you should focus on beefing up your content vs SEO tactics to rank well. Even if you use keywords you only have 8 pages and search engines won't ran you high. Trying to squeeze keywords in 8 pages could make your content a hassle for visitors to read. Focus more on getting pages or perhaps high quality links through reviews.

My site launched about a week and a half ago and is just now 100% complete. I have done a little bit to make it SEO friendly and done a little bit with keywords, but am unsure of my keywords choice and how to go after SEO. Right now i plan on doing a lot of APPROPRIATE blog commenting and forum posting. We also do a lot with social media, mainly twitter.

Before i start talking about my keywords and all if you would like to help you will need to check out my site first to understand my product and such. here is the link: ProGripz - Xbox 360 Controller Grips

I have been using Xbox 360 Controller Grips as my key phrase to get ranked in. But google insights only predicted about 480 searches/month for this with high competition. Im not sure why it is high competition as we do not have a ton of competitors. All the phrases i tried for were around 300-700 searches/month with high competition.

I want a phrase that is more searched therefore bringing in more visitors a month if/when we get to the top of the serps.

Any help, comments, advice, etc. are greatly appreciated here :)

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Maybe you need to go after the mothers / the girlfriends....

"Does your son/bf spend his weekends playing xbox? Then you need to check out this accessory that will help him in this way...."

Keywords....

xbox accessories

xbox gift ideas....

xbox add ons...

xbox deals... (buy 2 get 1 for half price or something).

I wish you all the luck in the world brah!

Hope you make it work!

Check out my video on how I do keyword research these days....

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...tep-step-keyword-research-video-tutorial.html

If you would like me to find you all of the low hanging fruits in your niche for FREE (I normally sell this service for $12) then just let me know... send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
The good news is that when you search Google using the key words "Pro Gripz" with the exact spelling your website appears as number 1. But what about those who need a product like yours but they are not aware of any specific brand? what if they just search: "xbox360, prevents sweaty hands"? will they land into your website?

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
Was looking at the site and saw that your original price is $8.99 and so is your sale price. Also it is now Dec. 27th..... time to take out the "Christmas day" part. One other thing, on the contact page for sponsorships. What exactly do you want, do you want the name and what they do or name, a link to there page, what they play, how active they are etc. Maybe have a form they can download and fill out and send to you or something. Have you looked into adding this to the PS3 crowd as well? Sorry this isn't SEO based just something I thought might help out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.