The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Starting my own Game Development Studio

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

EmotionEngine

Contributor
I've Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
United States
God I hope you have a marketing strategy planned. I didn't read the whole thread, but man did I mess that one up when I launched my game to the market.

I hope the game is worth playing.

I work in the industry (will be 20 years in Aug) and I know some people who may provide guidance.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

EmotionEngine

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Update (8/4/2021)
-The player is able to move the player left and right and the player sprites direction is now fixed via code. No extra art was needed.
- Animation: Idle animation is completed, implemented and working during gameplay. You can see the player breathe when standing idle.
- The player is able to fire their base weapon. (A laser gun) Lasers shoot across the screen in the direction faced and then I implemented code to destroy the objects on timer to save memory.
- Animation: Sprinting animation hooked up and implemented.
- Animation: Base weapon firing animation and projectile implemented and working.

Pushing commit to private Github repository.

Completion Rate: 3.5% (estimate)

Note:
Decided to invest money into a well-respected and reviewed art course to improve skill while I do this. Very affordable and not even $1k. This should improve my 2D skills as I go.

EmotionEngine

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Update (8/14/21)

Big pivot. I had an idea for a smaller game while I was making dinner the other day. This project is small in scope and something that requires less art, design and code. I'll still keep all my work on the other project in my Github repository. This will allow me to actually get something done much quicker and let the market react. Then I'll be able to assess reaction and adjust. The goal is to have this done by December 2021 or earlier.

• Shelved prior project.
  • Game idea drawn out in my sketch pad.
  • Created new Unity Project
  • Created new Private Github Repository for this project
  • Art: Player and main enemy sprites completed.
  • Art: A Prop sprite completed. (This and the above item will require some animation work)

New Project Completion Rate: 2% (estimate)

Last edited:

EmotionEngine

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Update (9/22/21)

I've been slacking as of late. My willpower to work on this project AFTER working an 8+ hour day stalled for a bit. I just had an FTE-reminder. A coworker tried to throw my team under the bus (and failed). Tired of that crap. I have been re-energized and continued working this week and had a very small win. Even with the delay I can still finish before the end of the year I believe.
  • Architecture of the game and pseudo code has been laid out on paper.
  • Basic game window design finished.
  • First user input test is in and confirmed working.
To Do:
- Create a modular design using scripts and prefabs that can be replicated per level. Break stuff down into components (UI, game manager, player controller, user and level data)
- More game assets (sprite art) needs to be made. Edit: and animations. (I actually enjoy drawing and animating sprites)

Project Completion Rate: 4% (estimate)

Last edited:

EmotionEngine

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Update (10/11/21)

- Finished sprite art for all game objects. Only a few animations remain such as character states.

To Do:
I started writing the game logic but ran into a hurdle as I tried to mentally wrap my head around how the game would execute. I couldn't really describe my problem but after googling my frustration I ran into information on topic called "design patterns".

"A design pattern is a general repeatable solution to a commonly occurring problem in software design. A design pattern isn't a finished design that can be transformed directly into code. It is a description or template for how to solve a problem that can be used in many different situations."

So now I may have set myself back a little as I learn about design patterns for Unity. This should allow my code to be more readable, perform better and scale more easily as features are added.

Project Completion Rate: 10% (estimate)

Last edited:

Sponsored Offers

Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Text... (via @Black_Dragon43 ) A forum user recently said something poignant. "Don't ask a...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
With 300+ students, the method and/or main sources of traffic don't saturate? Seems web design...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom