The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting my life journey at 21 y.o

NCNY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2019
First of all I'd like to say that im from Israel therefore English is not my first language so forgive me for any grammar mistakes :)

My name is Noy and im 21 years old, and I've just finished my almost 3 years of mandatory military service in the artillery corps.

It all started about 8 years ago, when I was 13 in seventh grade, I bought a pack of cheap chinese version "power bracelets" for dollar each, and they were pretty big in my country those days and sold it to my friends for 10x the price - they were happy and I was happy.

Later, I bought a decent quality headphones from dealextreme or focalprice (cant really remember, but they were big then) and I tried to dropship the same headphones on eBay and it didnt work so well, I knew literally nothing in marketing, copywriting and basically any skill needed to sell online, I priced it for 2.5x the original price.
It took some time and learning but during the summer of that year I woke up one day with few emails on my account from ebay stating that I managed to sell few pairs and made about 100$ profit that night (100$ was a huge amount of money for young me - 13 y.o).

That morning I literally felt on top of the world! my friends barely made 5-6$/hour doing part time summer jobs and I've just made 100$ dollars while sleeping! 25 hours of labor during a 8 hour night sleep!

Fast forward to April 2019, finished my military service which was a great experience (really made me a stronger person - extreme situations of 24 hour+ no sleep, hard weather, doing things you dont want to do but HAVE to do really teaches discipline and dedication, sometimes 18-20 hour work day.. and the list goes on).

Im really lucky to be born into my family, my dad's a successful business owner and my family life is very comfortable. He pushes me to be a business owner like him - he likes to say that taking big risks and being an entrepreneur is the only way to wealth and freedom.

My next step in my life is to go to study or not - the university is free thanks to my combat service and the field that I find interesting the most is law school + minor in accounting.
The only question in my mind is if it worth the 4 years of my time, but I find the positives outnumber the negatives - Always an advantage to know law and accounting in business, I want to experience high education, the price is basically free but time and I will meet very smart people because it a top program with very high barrier to entry.

This forum is a goldmine and I'm glad I've found it after reading TMF and i'm looking forward to provide value for othe forum members here!

BTW please mention my grammar mistakes so I can learn from my mistakes :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum Noy. Your English grammar is better than many Americans - LOL!

I'm a retired US Navy officer, so I understand your commitment and sacrifice. I find it interesting that military service can make some people disciplined, energetic, go getters; but a few turn into freeloading disciples of entitlement. I've never been able to figure out why that happens. But it sounds like you're one of those who will make a difference in the world, good for you.

You've a challenging decision ahead. Since you've read TMF you understand that an education is not necessary for the Fastlane. Worse yet, it can desensitize you to the allure of the slowlane. I know, for that was my life for far too many years. That said, there's nothing wrong with higher education as long as you understand why you are pursuing it. It alone will NOT make you rich. It can be a useful tool.

If you do decide to go to university - In my humble opinion (IMHO) - I'd say screw accounting and focus on law. Accounting is a slowlane skill and there will be plenty of accountants you can hire to do that for you. There are plenty of lawyers as well, but it could be a skill you could turn Fastlane, especially if you focus on a niche field of law. For instance, the world is slowly enacting laws governing "the web". Privacy, data rights, intellectual property infringement, contracts and the list goes on.

We can't make your decision for you, but you already know that. You'll get some good opinions and perspectives here. I hope they assist you moving forward. We look forward to sharing your success.

NCNY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2019
If you do decide to go to university - In my humble opinion (IMHO) - I'd say screw accounting and focus on law. Accounting is a slowlane skill and there will be plenty of accountants you can hire to do that for you. There are plenty of lawyers as well, but it could be a skill you could turn Fastlane, especially if you focus on a niche field of law. For instance, the world is slowly enacting laws governing "the web". Privacy, data rights, intellectual property infringement, contracts and the list goes on.

I mean the degree is in law, and an additional courses in accounting, I dont know how to compare it to US education system.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...