The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a writing career... I guess

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
Hey,

So I signed up on Twitter last night and challenged myself to publish at least 1 tweet per day this week.

As you may know from my introduction to the forum, I want to have an impact on people's lives through writing.

From the top of my head, here are some things I may talk about in this thread:
- why write ?
- how to write well ?
- voice/tone/style
- building a readership (on Twitter, on Quora, on a blog, on Facebook groups)

Let's ride

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
Rather than writing about a hundred things, I should focus on 1 topic, the one thing I want to help people with.

There are two topics I know I could help people with: smoking cessation and digital marketing.

- Smoking cessation: for the last 2 years, I've been on-and-off smoking (mainly "on").
I've spent hundreds of hours researching the subject: strategies, techniques, tools, etc.
The thing is, I still smoke.
So in order to help/inspire/educate people on how to quit smoking, I must quit first.
Otherwise, that's a paradox of practice. And I'll just look like a fool.

- Digital marketing (mainly traffic acquisition): it's been 5 years since I first learned about digital marketing, with SEO.
I've built and ranked some websites by myself, and one with a developer (a directory of snapchat usernames).
Last year, my uncle decided to set up a pop-up store to sell espadrilles. I built the website on WordPress, created and managed an Instagram account, put up some Ads via Google.
In about a month, the site was 1st result on Google for the search term. Oh, and I also did the selling in store.
I'm currently in the process of redesigning my uncle's business online strategy: updating content to better help people find what they're looking for –and yeah, to rank higher on Google–, as well as creating content plannings for Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
I must come clean and say that I've not been working as much with my uncle as I should have.
When I'm not at the showroom (his business operates in the home decor industry), I'm at my friend's house. Smoking weed. All day.

That's why I'm inconsistent ...
(well, that's not *exactly* why. Weed is a *symptom*)
(The $10MM question–or, may I say, the FASTLANE question–is: "What is the PROBLEM?")
that's why I'm inconsistent and I've not been making the progress I would've liked to see. Most of the time, I feel like a mess.
But I've got to...
... well, no "But"...
"And"
AND I've got to get it together. End the cycle. Turn my back to the headwind.

So, as I'm writing all this, being high... (does it show?)
==> I signed up on Meetup.com, joined a group and confirmed my venue to an event that'll be held tomorrow.
The event's called (excuse my French–oops, exposed): "Our best advice to start a side-project while having a job".

It's the first time I'll be going to this exact type of thing, so I'm a bit scared (sh*tless) because I'm probably going to overthink everything (what if I don't find the entry? what if someone talks to me and I just bomb?)

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've *really* got out of my comfort zone. Kinda grew scary. Weed doesn't help. Well, it's not weed, I know.

Anywayy, this afternoon I'll join a Facebook group and an online forum, related to digital marketing, and start contributing. Will keep you updated on this as well.

Holy molly, thread's name might as well be named something else.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOpSDNBPepk

itsmalcolmhere

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 12, 2019
Hey Fulguratorski, i admired how you want to improve your life by writing. Myself, i've always wanted to write but have the fear of bad grammars and lack of vocabulary all the time. However, i will not stop because im growing and it doesn't take overnight to see results.

As for smoking, personally, i don't smoke, but what i can suggest is, stop having the thought of putting the cigarette in your mouth. Its a subconscious habit that's controlling you and the only way to change is to start cultivating habits that's not allowing you to be distracted or losing focus. My understanding of smokers if they smoke can be due to 2 reason, either too free or stress.

The last thing, my question to you is, how did you get yourself involved in digital marketing? Im a 23 y/o student, just graduated, and currently working part-time. As of right now, i do not have any valuable skills that i can provide at the moment but im interested in the digital marketing side. I do have a plan which is building my instagram page and starting my own dropshipping in the next few months.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Your challenge is to tweet once per day? That's 140 characters.

Try 140 words instead. Twitter isn't worth the time.

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
The last thing, my question to you is, how did you get yourself involved in digital marketing? Im a 23 y/o student, just graduated, and currently working part-time. As of right now, i do not have any valuable skills that i can provide at the moment but im interested in the digital marketing side. I do have a plan which is building my instagram page and starting my own dropshipping in the next few months.

Thanks for your message.
I'll say that I was (still am) curious about it. It started with SEO. I googled the term, read a bunch of articles and case studies and decided to experiment by creating a small website and see how it goes.
In one word, "practice" (be careful to balance theory and practice)

I feel it's a great way to practice writing and editing fast, because you only have so much characters to use.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014

13e.jpg

People, if you want to be a writer, if you want to develop the skill of writing...

This shit is not going to cut it.

25 words a MINUTE is the bare minimum.

That's 125 words in 5 minutes.
250 words in 10 minutes.
500 words in 20 minutes.
1500 words in an hour.

Now, I get it.

"I procrastinate looking at the empty page. How could I ever do 1500 words in an hour?"
"But but but my favorite novelist Penny McInkwell says she writes only 5.67 words a day."

Here's the thing. Writing is a skill.

And you want to be a professional, right?

So figure your shit out.

How do you go from "I struggle with writing a tweet a day" to "I wrote the first draft of a 5000 words short story this morning"?

Well, why can't you?

Try. Struggle. Analyze how it went. Research and think about what you can do differently.
Rinse and repeat.

Now let's get to the matter at hand.

Action-faking.
I'll be back. I will.

Nah, you stay right here.

Your problem is that you're putting the cart before the horses.

Learn to be a proficient writer first, then you decide what kind of writing business you want to start.

This seems to be a new trend: people want to build a skill-based business without building the skill first.

Like all the low IQ peasants who come on here to ask advice on how to do X for clients of their own god-forsaken marketing agency. They sold themselves as marketing strategists and want elementary marketing advice on this forum. Literal scammers.

Don't do that. It's not going to get you anywhere.

So your first order of business is writing different stuff and develop the craft.

Learn to write more & faster.
That means, actually start pumping out stuff, and learn to maximize the amount of content you build in X time, as well as the time you can write before your brain goes on the fritz.

Learn to write different things. That means content, copy, fiction. Explore styles and go for different topics, different genres. Flex the writing muscle.

Study the craft itself. Read good content, analyze what makes it good. Read about writing, about formulas and structures and techniques. Apply, test what you learn.

And then you start actually using that skill in the real world.
You can freelance for copy and content. You can write niche sites. You can self publish on Amazon.

This is what you thread is about now.

Do the work. Don't run away.

Last edited:

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
@Digamma, thanks a lot for your message : you've just given invaluable advice on how to develop the writing craft.
I've read a bit about this, and you've just summed it up, with a little kick in the a$$. So really, thank you (and thank you for your time).

I wasn't quite sure I wanted to write/"be a writer" Plus, "I want to have an impact on people's lives through writing" is vague. "Write a book that will help people quit smoking on the long-term" is entirely something else (that's a book I started to write, but never finished).

In my introduction post, @MJ DeMarco asked "what's the long-game vision ?". Thing is, as I wrote my introduction post and this progress thread, I had none. I just wanted to start something, and this something was writing.

But as I'm re-reading TMF , I have little epiphanies, like figuring out my "WHY(s)" and understanding the essence of entrepreneurship (which is problem-solving/need-filling).

Before I decide to commit to a course of action, I want to finish the book.
I've recently found an opportunity to build a Fastlane business, but first, I've got to finish the book. Otherwise I'll just be idea-jumping.

That's what I really meant by "I'll be back" : "I'll be back after I read the book".

But I guess you brought me back.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
@Digamma, thanks a lot for your message : you've just given invaluable advice on how to develop the writing craft.
I've read a bit about this, and you've just summed it up, with a little kick in the a$$. So really, thank you (and thank you for your time).

I wasn't quite sure I wanted to write/"be a writer" Plus, "I want to have an impact on people's lives through writing" is vague. "Write a book that will help people quit smoking on the long-term" is entirely something else (that's a book I started to write, but never finished).

In my introduction post, @MJ DeMarco asked "what's the long-game vision ?". Thing is, as I wrote my introduction post and this progress thread, I had none. I just wanted to start something, and this something was writing.

But as I'm re-reading TMF , I have little epiphanies, like figuring out my "WHY(s)" and understanding the essence of entrepreneurship (which is problem-solving/need-filling).

I've recently found an opportunity to build a Fastlane business, but first, I've got to finish the book. Otherwise I'll just be idea-jumping.

That's what I really meant by "I'll be back" : "I'll be back after I read the book".

Glad to help.

Yes, by all means. Go read the book and achieve clarity on how this whole thing works.

One thing to keep in mind: business and skills are different things.

But a skill is always a powerful asset.

To connect to what you say above, skills are tools you can use to solve problems.

If writing is something you enjoy, I would 100% recommend you pursue it anyway.

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
Finished reading TMF .
In the next few days, I will transfer my notes (I read on Kindle) to a Google doc, summarize them, and translate them in French, with my own words.
Already bought Unscripted .

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
Reading Unscripted .

I’ve settled on a business idea and started executing (subscribed to LeadPages, now writing copy. After that, it’s going to be a little design, and then driving traffic via Google Ads).

I’m feeling urgency like never before, because 1) in 10 days the LeadPages free trial ends, so I have to be efficient with my time and my work, and 2) I can’t wait to get feedback from users.

What I’m currently building here is a MVP of a directory.

Also need to do a deeper competitor analysis and see where I can skew more value.

I have the habit of wanting to know everything before executing, but the more I execute, the more I realize I just need to know enough before I do execute.

Act, assess, adjust

itsmalcolmhere

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 12, 2019
Reading Unscripted .

I’ve settled on a business idea and started executing (subscribed to LeadPages, now writing copy. After that, it’s going to be a little design, and then driving traffic via Google Ads).

I’m feeling urgency like never before, because 1) in 10 days the LeadPages free trial ends, so I have to be efficient with my time and my work, and 2) I can’t wait to get feedback from users.

What I’m currently building here is a MVP of a directory.

Also need to do a deeper competitor analysis and see where I can skew more value.

I have the habit of wanting to know everything before executing, but the more I execute, the more I realize I just need to know enough before I do execute.

Act, assess, adjust

'I have the habit of wanting to know everything before executing, but the more I execute, the more I realize I just need to know enough before I do execute.' i have this habit as well, its not that im finding excuses to execute, but im the kind of person that need to understand fully before i execute something, however i realize the more you execute, you'll get used to being executing then understanding

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I agree. You have to write every day and master your writing skills. How you communicate shows how it impacts others. I've been writing since 2011, and still need improvement in some ways. But it also depends on the platform your writing, the audience, the genre, and how they react.

Twitter is not a platform I consider to be a writing platform. That will teach you how to write fragmented sentences. You need a writing blog, or write for Hubpages, Wattpad, and you will have others to critique your work and give you feedback.

There are many other platforms, but those two will help you the most to get started and have peers to review your work.

lie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 21, 2019
USA
Launching a freelance writing career all about you may be looking the wrong career direction.
Starting writing career becomes published author in five steps..
1-Do you Research.
2-Dive platform building
3-learn process.
4- select the right niche
5- writing job boards

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
« Providing value to providers and customers »
(or « low-key marketplace building »)

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
You mentioned you smoke weed. I don't have a problem with smoking weed, although I haven't in about 8 years now, but when I was smoking weed I always thought my ideas were revolutionary and oh so unique. When I sobered up I realized how downright stupid all my ideas were.

As far as "finding your voice" when writing, one thing that might help is to record yourself speaking as you do to close friends or family, then writing/typing that down because that is your voice.

IMO (not trying to be a jerk) the whole tweeting something every day is pointless and counterproductive.

fulguratorski

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for the message @Bryan James. That is some mind-bending trick, recording yourself while talking with closed one to identify one’s voice.

I don’t believe the ideas I have while high are that stupid; however, what’s stupid is how clear-minded I am when I get off the weed.

And yeah, I’ve came to the conclusion that tweeting a bit every day is not « writing ».
That’s why this whole thing didn’t last a day.

Like I mentioned above, writing is not going to be my focus (at least for the moment)-I’m currently in the premises of a new venture, this whole « marketplace » thing.

Do you think I should create a new progress thread and ask for this one to be closed? Or simply ask for it to be renamed?

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
A progress thread is always something of value to people. Also, as far as creativity and writing are concerned I highly recommend looking into whats called "Morning Pages" by Julia Cameron.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.