The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Started an ecom store...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
Hey FLF

During quarantine I had created a shopify store. Here’s the product. www.theshmoothie.com

You are probably thinking why am I sharing it?

Well, I am at the stage of zero ideas on what to do next. So I am seeking advice from you more experienced dons.

Here’s the thought process.

I decided to go against dropshipping. So I ordered a sample and I had paid a small bit extra to put the customized logo, took some photos and did a video. The site in my opinion looks decent.

The idea was to promote the product without having the product in stock - something I learnt from @hughjasle to test your product without investing inventory.

So we got to FB ads, decided to run a couple campaigns, the whole idea was to go for engaged shoppers and try 3 different hook lines to different interests.

At first we did a test on the video, poor engagement, but one purchase! (I thought I was going to be richhhhh (im joking)).

Because of the poor engagement I thought let’s try with just photos for the ad. Zero.

Spent around $200 for advertising.

I guess I am at this stage I am running out of ideas on what to do next, hence why I have come here to you more experienced dons.

My personal belief is everything can be sold - just got to market it right.

I know I can’t expect solid results after just spending $200. But in my head I do think I should have gotten a lot more engagement with the posts. Is this a failed product? Should I move on? Am I missing something?

I am happy to share screenshots of the ad campaigns for someone to dissect even further.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I think your sales product page is poor and could be one of the bigger choke points in your funnel. First, I have to scroll down to see the photo, and then you have all of the purchase information even lower below that. Think about how people shop online. Where are most purchases? Amazon. Product picture left, information right, buy now or add to cart to the right of that. All on on screen, above the fold, no scrolling needed.

For the product description, I would also advise to copy the Amazon route. Distinct bullet points first, extended copywriting after that, and product specifications below that. The way it is now, key info is not digestible quick enough and the copy isn't compelling enough to put it first.

For the product page itself and probably your catalog, I think going with the white background is going to be better. You can keep the light pink or whatever color that is for the branding of the site everywhere else, but let the white background of the image blend into the site.

I also don't like the hamburger menu here and it makes things too complex for what your target audience probably is.

Cart logo is not standard, I had to highlight it to see that it was the cart - almost looks like a lock or something - doesn't tap into my subconscious to tell me I'm shopping.

Anyways, these are just a few things, hope at least some of it was helpful.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
I checked your site...
Buy It Now button if you click it it shows you only the picture. I didn't know what to do next. This product is really famous, I hope it will work for you.
Watch out for refunds. (batteries can cause mayor problems)

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Portable smoothie machine is already out there... Maybe portable protein mixer.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey FLF

During quarantine I had created a shopify store. Here’s the product. www.theshmoothie.com

You are probably thinking why am I sharing it?

Well, I am at the stage of zero ideas on what to do next. So I am seeking advice from you more experienced dons.

Here’s the thought process.

I decided to go against dropshipping. So I ordered a sample and I had paid a small bit extra to put the customized logo, took some photos and did a video. The site in my opinion looks decent.

The idea was to promote the product without having the product in stock - something I learnt from @hughjasle to test your product without investing inventory.

So we got to FB ads, decided to run a couple campaigns, the whole idea was to go for engaged shoppers and try 3 different hook lines to different interests.

At first we did a test on the video, poor engagement, but one purchase! (I thought I was going to be richhhhh (im joking)).

Because of the poor engagement I thought let’s try with just photos for the ad. Zero.

Spent around $200 for advertising.

I guess I am at this stage I am running out of ideas on what to do next, hence why I have come here to you more experienced dons.

I know I can’t expect solid results after just spending $200. But in my head I do think I should have gotten a lot more engagement with the posts. Is this a failed product? Should I move on? Am I missing something?

I am happy to share screenshots of the ad campaigns for someone to dissect even further.

how were you planning on selling these when you got started?

Ganglion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 21, 2018
United Kingdom
So I ordered a sample and I had paid a small bit extra to put the customized logo, took some photos and did a video.

I think you're making the mistake I've been making all these years. I've been following the advice of all these copywriters who talk about having a mediocre product with amazing copy.

If you rely on marketing to do all your selling, you'll never get into the big leagues.

If you haven't changed your product in anyway, then the only reason for people to buy your product is because they've been deceived by your marketing.

I'm not saying this to put you down, I've been doing the same shit for far too long, and I'm finally looking to change things up by inventing unique products that don't already exist in the marketplace.

This approach is harder to begin with, but much easier later on, when people who buy your product will tell others about it because it's unique and they can't get something similar anywhere else.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I think you're making the mistake I've been making all these years. I've been following the advice of all these copywriters who talk about having a mediocre product with amazing copy.

If you rely on marketing to do all your selling, you'll never get into the big leagues.

If you haven't changed your product in anyway, then the only reason for people to buy your product is because they've been deceived by your marketing.

I'm not saying this to put you down, I've been doing the same shit for far too long, and I'm finally looking to change things up by inventing unique products that don't already exist in the marketplace.

This approach is harder to begin with, but much easier later on, when people who buy your product will tell others about it because it's unique and they can't get something similar anywhere else.

Your product doesn't have to be unique for it to have a spot in the marketplace - and not being unique does not mean it relies on deceitful copy to sell.

You could have better customer service, handwritten thank yous, better product explanations, better pictures, better return policy.... etc x1000. All of these things tie into a productocracy which MJ talks about in Unscripted / TMF . Copywriting is one of them, and I think you have a point that good copywriting can be used in a bad way to market poor products. But if you have a functional product and aren't out to rip people off, there's no harm in helping your customer with their purchasing decision.

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
I think your sales product page is poor and could be one of the bigger choke points in your funnel. First, I have to scroll down to see the photo, and then you have all of the purchase information even lower below that. Think about how people shop online. Where are most purchases? Amazon. Product picture left, information right, buy now or add to cart to the right of that. All on on screen, above the fold, no scrolling needed.

For the product description, I would also advise to copy the Amazon route. Distinct bullet points first, extended copywriting after that, and product specifications below that. The way it is now, key info is not digestible quick enough and the copy isn't compelling enough to put it first.

For the product page itself and probably your catalog, I think going with the white background is going to be better. You can keep the light pink or whatever color that is for the branding of the site everywhere else, but let the white background of the image blend into the site.

I also don't like the hamburger menu here and it makes things too complex for what your target audience probably is.

Cart logo is not standard, I had to highlight it to see that it was the cart - almost looks like a lock or something - doesn't tap into my subconscious to tell me I'm shopping.

Anyways, these are just a few things, hope at least some of it was helpful.

Ok, this was definitely helpful regarding making it similar to Amazon.

I was thinking about going with white as the product picture stuck out and made it look cheap - I kind of went for the whole idea of if its 75% done, get it out there and make small adjustments after.

But thank you, these points were extremely helpful.

I will adjust accordingly.

Thanks for your time to get back to me on this.

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
I checked your site...
Buy It Now button if you click it it shows you only the picture. I didn't know what to do next. This product is really famous, I hope it will work for you.
Watch out for refunds. (batteries can cause mayor problems)

Definitely at the back of my mind - batteries are absolute headaches.

But thanks for going through the sales funnel to see what's wrong with it.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Definitely at the back of my mind - batteries are absolute headaches.

But thanks for going through the sales funnel to see what's wrong with it.

No problem.
Its always better doing something than nothing :)

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
how were you planning on selling these when you got started?

The whole idea was to see if it's a worthy product to sell in the first place.

I have another product that I sell via amazon in the US - I'm from the UK.

But the plan was
1. See if you can get interest and people buying.
2. Refund the orders and give them a coupon to say sorry, we are out of stock, heres 30% for when we do get it in stock.
3. Order a couple hundred units and I'd fulfil from my home.
4. If that was successful - eventually sell it on Amazon US and UK.

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014

While I totally understand and I think that's extremely true regarding the big leagues - I know theres people out here selling box standard products and just making a lush site, amazing customer service and great creatives and still making bank.

I had ideas on changing and improving the product eventually - but if I can't sell the box standard one, I doubt I will be able to sell the customised one. I am sure this is a me problem, not a product problem.

Don't worry about it putting me down, I'm here to listen to you more experienced guys, make improvements and be rich, not be right.

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
Your product doesn't have to be unique for it to have a spot in the marketplace - and not being unique does not mean it relies on deceitful copy to sell.

You could have better customer service, handwritten thank yous, better product explanations, better pictures, better return policy.... etc x1000. All of these things tie into a productocracy which MJ talks about in Unscripted / TMF . Copywriting is one of them, and I think you have a point that good copywriting can be used in a bad way to market poor products. But if you have a functional product and aren't out to rip people off, there's no harm in helping your customer with their purchasing decision.

Agreed.

Even though there are a shit load of copy and paste dropshipping stores. I have seen some with generic products that aren't even private labelled and are selling a fair bit.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The whole idea was to see if it's a worthy product to sell in the first place.

I have another product that I sell via amazon in the US - I'm from the UK.

But the plan was
1. See if you can get interest and people buying.
2. Refund the orders and give them a coupon to say sorry, we are out of stock, heres 30% for when we do get it in stock.
3. Order a couple hundred units and I'd fulfil from my home.
4. If that was successful - eventually sell it on Amazon US and UK.

That’s not really the plan I was asking about.

What was your plan on seeing if you can get people interested in people to buy? Because that is where you are stuck right now because I think your plan was to just run Facebook ads?

You see, if that was your entire plan, you’ve spent $200 on Facebook ads and then have basically given up on your plan or decided to sell them a different way.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
This not to bash you.
How did you test that there is demand for that product?

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
That’s not really the plan I was asking about.

What was your plan on seeing if you can get people interested in people to buy? Because that is where you are stuck right now because I think your plan was to just run Facebook ads?

You see, if that was your entire plan, you’ve spent $200 on Facebook ads and then have basically given up on your plan or decided to sell them a different way.

Oh right, yeah, the plan was just to run facebook ads to start off and test interest.

Which is why I thought I would bring it to you guys, who are more experienced and could point me in the right direction.

I am new to facebook ads, perhaps I am too hopeful to thinking that spending $200 on fb ads alone will bring sales.

I guess I thought it would be like Amazon ads (I've ran ads for amazon for a while and it's been nothing but positive ROI from the get go).

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
This not to bash you.
How did you test that there is demand for that product?

This is the test, I have not bought any inventory yet. I just paid for the customised sample.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
This is the test, I have not bought any inventory yet. I just paid for the customised sample.
Ok. So this is validation of no need for this product.
Or maybe the season for it is not now.
And we also have "stay at home" season, so to speak (corona).

If you seen this product in fact sell somewhere then look up the way its advertised,
and more important to whom it is advertised.

If you really want to keep doing this then ask somewhere for sales copy critique, maybe even on this forum. B/c your site's copy leaves a lot to be desired, i think.

Emiljasta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2018
Portable smoothie machine is already out there... Maybe portable protein mixer.
Maybe he can change his positioning in the market and try to sell this as a portable protein mixer. By doing so, your target group becomes way more clear as well.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Maybe he can change his positioning in the market and try to sell this as a portable protein mixer. By doing so, your target group becomes way more clear as well.

Exactly just came to my mind. I think the product would then be a lot more niche specific and safer if you make the blades plastic. Cheaper as well... Hmmm maybe were on to something!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.