The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start reading (self help) or (bussines?

Buy selfhelp books or business?

• Selfhelp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Business

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
i almost finished my 1e book ever :The millionaire fastlane i am at page 298 and i am wondering what book should i buy next?

I don't know if i got to go straight into the bussines books or selfhelp first since i am still young i think i should buy
self help but i don't know so what do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Get into the habit of taking action.
You want to become an entrepreneur, not reader.

If you do want to pick a book, pick up: How to get rich - Felix dennis:

How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets: Felix Dennis: 9781591842712: Amazon.com: Books

Or you can go into more business type books, like the lean start up:

The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses: Eric Ries: 9780307887894: Amazon.com: Books

I have read these books and I am not an entrepreneur. I love reading tho.
I know entrepreneurs who have not read those books.

So, whatever you choose. Choose action above reading.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Actualy i don't really want to read i want to get started but i feel like i am missing alot of knowledge if i don't read 2 or 3 books first.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
get into the field you want to make business in

get to know it well and see how you can be
better and different

and don't go into self-help. it's gonna make you
overanalyze things. keep yourself out of it

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Actualy i don't really want to read i want to get started but i feel like i am missing alot of knowledge if i don't read 2 or 3 books first.

I don't think you can ever get to a point where you are 'ready' to start because you have read a couple of books.
Could you read all the books on dancing and dance really well?
What about learning how to play an instrument?
Do you have a hobby where you are good at? Do you think you can learn that hobby by reading only?

Just start. And when you come across a problem, you might want to search for a book to get over that problem.
You might encounter a problem with SEO, well..read about SEO
you might encounter a problem about product development.. then read about that.

Don't waste months, maybe even years (i joined this forum longer then a year ago!!) reading about entrepreneurship.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Pick your next book based on your needs. If you need to learn PPC then pick up a PPC book. If you need to know more about html then go out and get a book on html, or better yet, watch some videos. If you need motivation then you can find some really good audio books.

Just Don't stop reading. Don't stop learning. If you are driving then listen to an audio book. When you don't have an audio book then turn on the radio and listen to the commercials and try to pick out the different elements to each pitch. If you are not driving and you are not working on your biz then either listen to a book or read. Also keep in mind that books are great, but you can do yourself a lot of good if you start finding people who are smarter than you.

I was just reading 3 books at the same time and it worked out great for me.
- How to Pitch Anything
- Some book on PPC (still reading)
- And the 10x rule for the second time

2 of these were on audio - This saved me a ton of time because I don't think that it's realistic to sit down infront of a book all of the time.

Also as far as motivation vs business books, I think that you are asking the wrong question. I believe that they are both the same. Even the most techncial and boring business book should motivate you to some degree.

Oh btw - 2-3 books won't do it for you. The fastlane is all you need to get started. I have gone through close to 30 books this year and I make mistakes everyday. Getting started is the best way to learn.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
and don't go into self-help. it's gonna make you
overanalyze things. keep yourself out of it

Your right selfhelp is not the way and in most of the selfhelp books there are the same lessons so 1 or 2 self help books are enough.
Then i go straight into the business i made the following list i gotta choose a couple of them to learn.

• Internet Marketing
• copywriting
• marketing
• ecommerce stores
• business
• Aandelen
• Vastgoed
• Ebook writing
• MLM Multi level Marketing
• Web developer
• telemarketing
• Leveraged buyout
• hedge-fund manager
• Belegger
• Vastgoed ondernemer (Real estate)
• Inventing,
• Innovating,
• Licensing,
• Authoring
• Sales
• Marketing
• Selling knowledge / Adviser

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
influence is a good book on marketing which will help you throughout your business ventures

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Oh btw - 2-3 books won't do it for you. The fastlane is all you need to get started. I have gone through close to 30 books this year and I make mistakes everyday. Getting started is the best way to learn.

I wil start looking for a business and take action i got enough selfhelp information in my room anyway now its the time to get started after 5 months

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
1) you do not need "self-help" books and stuff

what you need is "anti-self-help" books.
you'll never be perfect and that's ok couse
you don't have to be.

read:

Steven Pressfield - "The War of Art" and "Do The Work"
Felix Dennis - "How to Get Rich"
Greene / 50 Cent - 50th Law

that's all you need. if - after reading them - you think you
need more - re-read them.

2) the only thing in business you gotta
learn - to make your chances higher - are:

* know-how (in you niche)
* selling + marketing (how to influence people)

Best guy in selling is (IMO) Jordan Belfort
Best in marketing is Dan Kennedy and/or Jay Abraham

but you gotta go into the business where you have
an edge - unfair advantage - which means you gotta
play to your strenghts

or you're gonna get slaughtered

just pure - I wanna be an entrepreneur - is not enough
no one is waking up thinking - "I wanna give my money
to 16 yo kiddo who wants to be in business"

people and markets do not give a shit about what
it is that you want

but you gotta give a shit about what people and
markets want

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Steven Pressfield - "The War of Art" and "Do The Work"
Felix Dennis - "How to Get Rich"
Greene / 50 Cent - 50th Law

that's all you need. if - after reading them - you think you
need more - re-read them.

Those books sound like self help :p

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
but you gotta go into the business where you have
an edge - unfair advantage - which means you gotta
play to your strenghts

I don't know my strenghts i am a total nooby but ill find out what my strenghts are my hobbys are reading the fastlane forum and playing games (but i refuse to play them) and thats basicly it oh and listening to music

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I went skiing for the first time this winter. My girlfriend at the time taught at the local resort and said she'd teach me. I've been watching the Olympics my whole life. I understand physics. I read articles and tips for beginners. And I still went home that day really, really sore.

You can read all the books you want, but it's not going to help you. The answer to your poll is neither. Think of entrepreneurship like a hobby. While it's fine to keep those business magazines next to the toilet, and it's important to continue building up your knowledge, you're never going to actually know what your skills and weaknesses are until you go out and try it.

If you're still stuck on this, then do a test run and you'll see what I mean. Spend a week away from the books. Buy random crap off Craigslist. Haggle, fix items up, and resell them, trying to make back a profit. Then spend a week just reading books. You'll find out very quickly which feels more satisfying. Books like TMF are a roadmap, and a damn good one at that. But maps are useless if you can't drive.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
So that are books that get you started i think?

they changed my outlook on life - for better
they are not "tree-hugger" BS books - world is beautiful
and all you need is love + ask the universe and you
will be given

they are - you gotta fight for what you want, universe
is hostile, be strong and fight your inner battles - that
kinda books they are :)

they don't make you feel better
they make you wanna stand up and fight

and you know what? motion creates emotion.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
If you're still stuck on this, then do a test run and you'll see what I mean. Spend a week away from the books. Buy random crap off Craigslist. Haggle, fix items up, and resell them, trying to make back a profit. Then spend a week just reading books. You'll find out very quickly which feels more satisfying. Books like TMF are a roadmap, and a damn good one at that. But maps are useless if you can't drive.

Everybody is reselling on ebay and craigslist i learned from TMF if everybody is doing it stay away from so i don't know if its good to start with ebay what do you think?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Everybody is reselling on ebay and craigslist i learned from TMF if everybody is doing it stay away from so i don't know if its good to start with ebay what do you think?

I'm not qualified to be a business consultant, but for what it's worth, here's what I think:

1. If everybody was reselling things on eBay, it wouldn't be as easy as it is for me to make money doing what I'm doing. eBay certainly isn't original or unique, but it's not so saturated that there is no money left to be made. eBay also gives you a good launching point for your website. You start throwing in coupons for similar products from your eBay listings, and you start gaining customers that you know are interested in what your product is.

2. Selling on eBay brings you experience. You learn which ways you can tweak pictures, descriptions, layouts, etc. to make better sales. This is invaluable knowledge that I firmly believe you can not get from a book.

3. Doing anything is better than reading books.

You're trying to learn everything first. This is not a wise idea. You have a good base knowledge from TMF. You've done enough reading to get started. Books should be a complement to the real life experience you are gaining from your business. You read, and then you apply it to your life. But you're only doing part 1, and that won't help you on the fastlane. Gotta take action.

Ask other people what they think, I'm not a millionaire, and I'm young and inexperienced just like you. But I think you'll probably hear similar advice from people on this forum that are a lot smarter than I am.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
oke i will start on ebay then i already wanted to start on ebay 5 months ago but i felt i needed some book knowledge.

So since you already make money on ebay what are the basic things i need? kan you make a list and tell me a few important things if you got time i will look on the internet to for some information i have only 160 euro's and i live in holland.
If you want some more info about me related to your info just ask.

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
If you are looking to get started and make a little extra cash to invest in something else, ebay might not be a bad idea. My son is 14 and he's been selling stuff on ebay for the last 3-4 years (with my help); he doesn't invest but uses it to buy the games and things I tell him I won't buy for him. He has made a lot of money reselling old video games and consoles; he collects things from other folks, or gets things used that he resells, or sells stuff he doesn't play any more, and he winds up with a couple hundred bucks a month or so. when he feels like it that is :)

Young adults can sell a lot of different things; sports equipment, for example. He also sells athletic shoes, mostly basketball shoes, it seems that kids trade them at school, then he trades for the best ones and resells them online. They get about 50% of list prices when in good shape, so for shoes priced at $250 a pair, you can see there is some $$ there. He doesn't buy a lot to resell, just scavenges, but I'm sure with a little extra effort you could find things on craigslist or ebay at enough of a discount to make money on reselling.

Ebay as a fastlane doesn't work, unless you are building a retail store to resell maybe, but definitely work it to build some investment capital for your next big thing.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Read after you end your day of taking action. I find this is the best time to apply the knowledge acquired, creating powerful ideas and references along the way.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
There should be an option for both.

Your inner world creates your outer world provided you act on the knowledge you gain as you need it.

I've read books about social networking for business before knowing how to identify a target market, find out what need I can fill for them, and beginning to develop a brand through which I reach out to them.

I could not begin to conceive anything Fastlane, entrepreneurship, leverage, or freedom related without self-help books. Sometimes you need 2 heads rather than 1 in order to see the forest without the distraction of the trees.

Read both, but act on your new knowledge as needed. If you run across a book about direct marketing while you're in the middle of product development, bookmark or take note of where you found that book, then get a hold of it after you've finished what you're currently working on.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Reading books is great. It exposes you directly to new points of view and can change your entire perspective on life.

If you're JUST getting into this business type stuff and TMF is your first, I recommend checking out

-The $100 Startup
-Crush It
-The Four Hour Workweek

EDIT:
Go to your local library and check out everything with the call number 650.1. That's going to be all the "Personal Success In Business" and it mixes a lot of self help/mindset and business stuff together.

If you were to find any of the books above (including TMF) in a library it would probably be under the call number 650.1

TheBlackLion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
May 5, 2013
America
I'm going to be the contrarian here and suggest that you go 50/50 on your readings. Good business literature is infatuating to me, I just can't get enough of it. And yet... I can enjoy intellectually challenging literature at the same level.

They say that if you want your business to survive you should work on it, but if you want it to thrive, you should work on yourself. I've certainly taken that statement to heart and I recommend you do the same.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
EDIT:
Go to your local library and check out everything with the call number 650.1. That's going to be all the "Personal Success In Business" and it mixes a lot of self help/mindset and business stuff together.

If you were to find any of the books above (including TMF) in a library it would probably be under the call number 650.1

I live in holland the content in the books are much different i think than american books i rather buy american books i ordered the 50th law from green/50 cent people reccomended to me but i am a little bit stuck somethimes i want to much at once i want to gain muscle for confidence learn speed reading get another writing style study a new bussines find a job yeez and i just want somebody to guide me or something but thats impossible my enviroment is full of sidewalkers/slowlaners it will be a long way for me.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
no matter what i do i don't feel like i achieved something even after a whole day of hard work i just made 4 hours of homework but i still feel the same.

i got to find a hobby and a job (temporary of course haha i aint gonna be a sidewalker) a job for experience in sales or something

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.