The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start from Ground-Zero and build a business or go to one of the top 100 Colleges for free?

Matej Cvetkovski

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 28, 2023
Hi, I know I have already asked way too many questions on this forum, but there are so many paths and choices, I often feel a little overwhelmed...

I'm currently 16, in 2nd year of high school, I have a scholarship from my country that lasts 4 years (until high school graduation).

After discussing with some people I found out that I can almost certainly get into a Top 100 College, not only for free, but I also might be paid tens of thousands dollars as a 'crutch', because I'm coming from a country where the minimum wage is around 2$/hr.

I plan on doing something in the realms of Computer Science, AI or something else similar to that, as programming has been my strong suit and I have "connections" with a dude that used to work in Google and now works in Microsoft. The minimum there is like a 100k a year, but can rocket to far more depending on your position.

Everyone in my life is telling me to pursue this, as I have been on this path since 5th or 6th grade.

It feels wrong to throw all of this away and start a side hustle that some online guru told me about.

It's also not like I can't start a business after college or while I'm working for some company. I will be 22 when I would finish, with plenty of life ahead of me and heaps more knowledge about the world and what I truly want from life.

What is your advice, I know college is looked down upon and it's not what it used to be, but this is an insane low risk high reward opportunity and I don't want to give it up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Emoney12

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 21, 2023
Hi, I know I have already asked way too many questions on this forum, but there are so many paths and choices, I often feel a little overwhelmed...

I'm currently 16, in 2nd year of high school, I have a scholarship from my country that lasts 4 years (until high school graduation).

After discussing with some people I found out that I can almost certainly get into a Top 100 College, not only for free, but I also might be paid tens of thousands dollars as a 'crutch', because I'm coming from a country where the minimum wage is around 2$/hr.

I plan on doing something in the realms of Computer Science, AI or something else similar to that, as programming has been my strong suit and I have "connections" with a dude that used to work in Google and now works in Microsoft. The minimum there is like a 100k a year, but can rocket to far more depending on your position.

Everyone in my life is telling me to pursue this, as I have been on this path since 5th or 6th grade.

It feels wrong to throw all of this away and start a side hustle that some online guru told me about.

It's also not like I can't start a business after college or while I'm working for some company. I will be 22 when I would finish, with plenty of life ahead of me and heaps more knowledge about the world and what I truly want from life.

What is your advice, I know college is looked down upon and it's not what it used to be, but this is an insane low risk high reward opportunity and I don't want to give it up.
Definitely pursue the education if you think you can get into a good school. There will be no negative to having a degree for a university on your resume. Take the time to build skills on the side since you are still well in the learning instead of the earning phase. Since it is free you have very little downside except for the time spent but if the major is helpful, you will gain experience and connections along the way to give more tailored guidance. It would be quite difficult to get a job at a top tech company without a degree if you decide later in life that is the route you want to take (which is still very profitable just not fast lane). Obviously has its own risks with layoffs going in waves of the economy. Dont ever close any doors to opportunity for yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.