The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start a new company in Ireland or in the UK?

innerfire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 30, 2021
Hi there, so let me get straight to the point:

I want to start a new company that provides services to other real estate companies (business to business).
It will be an internet company but I will need to relocate to the place where I will be operating.

I have 2 choices so far, start in Ireland, Dublin? Or in UK, Liverpool?

Below I list the advantages that these 2 locations can provide me.
However I have a really hard time to choose.

UK Pros:
- I have permit to stay and work in the UK until 2024 (which will be updated if I live there by that time).
- I have 2 UK bank accounts that already contain half of the funds I'm going to invest.
- I have already obtained a personal UK tax number.
- UK is more familiar to me because I studied and lived there for 1.5 years.
- My girlfriend is able relocate with me because her sister lives there and we can share the renting costs (plus I will not be completely alone).

Ireland Pros:
- 12.5% corporate tax rate compared to UK that has 20%.
- Costs to live there seem to be less than the UK.
- Funds that I'm going to invest are in Euro (the currency of my home country) which means that I don't have to convert anything.
- I'm a European national, so that means that I don't need extra permits to live there and open a company.
- If the company is successful, my plans are to expand to the rest of Europe, this would be easier I guess if my company is already European.

Please let me know which country and city you would suggest for a new company and why.
Thanks for reading this far, I am happy to read your answers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

innerfire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 30, 2021
Ok, since nobody seems interested to answer I will go ahead and give an answer to myself.

Dear me, you seem to deviate more to the UK for mostly emotional reasons.
It doesn't matter that you already know some people in the UK (which are irrelevant to your future company's plans) or that you have already obtained a few things that make your settlement over there easier.

If we think with pure emotionless logic, Dublin in Ireland seems to be a healthier choice for your company since the corporate tax is much lower and it matches more to your future plan. Don't be afraid to take an extra step due to fear of the unknown.

Sincerely,
You

innerfire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 30, 2021
Ok, since nobody seems interested to answer I will go ahead and give an answer to myself.

Dear me, you seem to deviate more to the UK for mostly emotional reasons.
It doesn't matter that you already know some people in the UK (which are irrelevant to your future company's plans) or that you have already obtained a few things that make your settlement over there easier.

If we think with pure emotionless logic, Dublin in Ireland seems to be a healthier choice for your company since the corporate tax is much lower and it matches more to your future plan. Don't be afraid to take an extra step due to fear of the unknown.

Sincerely,
You

I see... thanks kind stranger :)

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Very witty. I approve :)

You can have both a UK company and and Irish Company. The Irish Company can be the parent.

When you see multinationals being based in Ireland for example, it does not mean that they do not have a UK company. the Irish one is , to simplify, invoicing the UK one to shift money into the lower tax regime.

Dan

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Irish guy here with an Irish company. I wish I could offer you some concrete advice but I know very little about B2B software for real estate companies. I know my mate set up his company in Northern Ireland (UK) but lived in Southern Ireland (Republic) to take advantage of both Startup Infrastructures and because the Capital Gains Tax was far less in the UK... but I think it might have changed in Ireland since.

Setting up a company in Ireland is super easy... hassle free... cheap... and there are LOTS of supports... You'll find it easy to get some basic grants/funding/Accelerators/ as the only companies getting real attention are B2B's in Ireland these days.

Dublin is the best Startup space but living in Dublin is definitely NOT cheap... :peace:

D

Deleted78083

Go where your customers are.

Honestly I don't see any pros to go to the UK. Have you read how difficult it is for them to deal with the EU now?

The economy will be strongly hit, people will have less money to spend, etc.

Also, it's not that no one is interested in your thread, but that it takes some time to answer.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Imo living in Ireland is not cheap.
Though I d take Ireland.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.