The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start a Business, Nobody Cares

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I recently ran a social experiment on my small FB following. I ran across a meme that was very timely, it said-

""I got the Job"
234 Likes, 86 Comments

"I started my own biz"
6 likes, 3 comments"
On my wall, this meme got 16 likes, so people were looking at it and appreciated it.

It just so happened that in about a 2 week period I was going to be both accepting a job and launching a business. Even after telling my small group of friends this would happen, and many of them liking the meme the actual result-

"I got the job"- 36 likes (almost 50%)
"I started my own biz, here's a link to the site"- 6 likes

And of course, as many here have experienced, after tons of effort, the site itself is getting almost nothing either.

I said in another thread my lesson last year was I wished I'd started a business sooner. This is why.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I recently ran a social experiment on my small FB following. I ran across a meme that was very timely, it said-

""I got the Job"
234 Likes, 86 Comments

"I started my own biz"
6 likes, 3 comments"
On my wall, this meme got 16 likes, so people were looking at it and appreciated it.

It just so happened that in about a 2 week period I was going to be both accepting a job and launching a business. Even after telling my small group of friends this would happen, and many of them liking the meme the actual result-

And of course, as many here have experienced, after tons of effort, the site itself is getting almost nothing either.

I said in another thread my lesson last year was I wished I'd started a business sooner. This is why.

That's because having a job = security. Safety.

Starting a new thing = scary, risky and foolish.

It will never work. You'll disrupt the yin and the yang of the universe.

Stay in the box.

phicks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Feb 11, 2015
Wow. Really good stuff. I feel like I can relate to this.

I'm in college now and when my friends post things about getting a job it's met with such a positive response.

I know it's a big deal symbolically but do you think this has a lot to do with people wanting to validate their own decisions?

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Wow. Really good stuff. I feel like I can relate to this.

I'm in college now and when my friends post things about getting a job it's met with such a positive response.

I know it's a big deal symbolically but do you think this has a lot to do with people wanting to validate their own decisions?

Herd mentality.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
After reading MJ's book, starting your own business seems like the safer bet. And if not, there's a lot of lessons you can learn about investing in the book. For example, that rich people use their business to get rich and not the stock market.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California

""I got the Job"
234 Likes, 86 Comments

"I started my own biz"
6 likes, 3 comments"

Funny, because once people see the results from your successful business they'll start liking everything you post.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I saw a post exactly like this in the Smart Passive Income group on Facebook a couple weeks ago.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
When I got a job my relatives and family are so proud of me but when I started a business no one cares....-_-
Same here...and occasionally someone says something like "I can't imagine it being that easy."

Nobody said it'll be easy, and their lack of imagination won't change our reality.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Same here...and occasionally someone says something like "I can't imagine it being that easy."

Nobody said it'll be easy, and their lack of imagination won't change our reality.
I don't recall who pointed it out, but people don't realize it is hard once THEY have to make the decisions on what needs to be done next in order for the ship (business) to stay afloat and keep sailing

They've been told their entire life what to do and how to do it

Last edited:

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I suspect when a business first starts less people (friends and loved ones) care, because we've all had a friend who started a business(es) and never went anywhere, whereas with a job, everyone knows you're getting a paycheck. And yes, that is familiar.

My wife and I have been fairly successful in the corporate world, and I think they also wonder why we'd walk away from, or at least not focus on, the option$ we have there.

There is a little of this based on some of the private comments we've recieved- "There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming." - Soren Kierkegaard

On a bit of a more tactical note, I think once you are talking about your business, your friends and loved ones subconsciously start putting up their sales/BS filters, and are therefore much less likely to share and talk on your biz page then your personal page. For example, many of my friends have been sharing industry related links on to my home page, but not on the biz page. I'm very grateful to them for it, it's just sorta interesting. :)

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
"I started a biz" is more like posting "I've applied for a job" IMO. Also, 99% of the people I've seen start a business on social media are actually people signing up for MLM schemes.

brickco

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 6, 2015
I hate to be the one to say it, but it's probably because getting a job is more impressive than starting a business.

Jobs have interviews and are competitive by nature and normally require some qualifications which take time and effort to get.

Starting a business takes about 15 seconds and exactly 0 qualifications...

And starting a "biz" makes it sound even less impressive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.