The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

squeeze pages and growing an email list

Marketing, social media, advertising

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
I've just finished setting up my squeeze page and am about to start growing an email list. I will be growing the list only with people who are interested in my information (i.e. no spamming or purchasing prospects).

First, I want to make sure the squeeze page looks up to snuff and that I'm marketing it right. For those who are proficient at attracting customers with "advantage statements" (lack of a better term) and pitches, please let me know what you think and if it needs work or not: Home Page

Also, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Jim Cockrum, but his book Free Marketing talks about some pretty interesting tactics that can help you grow your email list (i.e. using ebay classified ads to drive traffic, youtube videos, partnering with other websites/forums/blogs pertaining to your topic, etc.). Are any of these methods largely effective? Thanks for any info.

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
I like the text on the left it stands out but to be honest I didn't waste anytime reading the text in the center basically because it didn't stand out. Also I'm use to seeing the "sign-up here" button underneath the text in the center and not having to find the button on the left hand side of the screen. I really do like how you kept everything above "the fold"; I didn't have to scroll down a castle wall of a mini-page to get to what I was looking for. Best of luck, I bought a book called Web Copy that Sells when I created my first squeeze page and it helped me out a lot.

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
Brandon,

Awesome job on getting something up and running! Very cool!

Personally, regarding the layout, I think the page would be better if it were more streamlined and on one page.

Here's a quick example in the link below:

Example Of More Streamlined Page

Even more important than that though, I'd focus on trust and the benefit more.

Why should someone trust you and give you their email address?

And beyond that, why would they even listen to your advice, even if they *didn't* have to give you their email address?

I'd give a more descriptive headline, and maybe some before and after shots, or some real world proof, or some concrete examples of how you can help, etc.

Maybe even tell your story... Like instead of saying "Abbreviated Training For The Busy Athlete"

Maybe say something like "How I Cut My Training From 2 Hours A Day To 20 Minutes A Week And Got Stronger, Faster, Leaner, And More Energetic, And Here's How You Can Too."

Good luck! And hope you're having fun :)
-Sean

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
How would a person get to your page?

Would they already know about you and what they are going to that page for?

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I won't tell you anything but the truth.

And the truth is that your squeeze page is not made for the visitor at all.

Good stuff actually doing something, but here are my recommendations:

- The text on the left stands out ONLY because it is so brutal to read. The text hurts my eyes and makes me want to leave as soon as possible. (remember I am looking at this from a visitor's perspective)

- The click here text adds to the brutality of the larger text. I would change those fonts immediately.

- The writing in the middle serves no purpose because I would never read it. You have scattered my eyes all over the screen and I am very confused as what to do.

- The page needs to flow (we as humans start to read from the left to right and then down). You have writing with different fonts all over the place and not in linear fashion that makes it easy for me to read.

- You should make your primary point of interest (FOR ME) impossible to miss (i.e. centered in quotes and red text above the fold)

- There is no authority to the squeeze page. Who is feeding me this information? why? is there any proof?

- Video might be good although may not be necessary.

- You want to teach me about abbreviated training... but I don't know what that is, nor do you explain it to me. I don't want to do any work or extra research to gain this knowledge.

- If I am already at your squeeze page, don't make me have to go to another page and then sign-up to your newsletter. Make it easy for me to sign-up right away.

- You are offering me a free newsletter and and ebook... cool, but show me what I am actually getting (picture of the book) -p.s. get rid of the "e-mail marketing by aweber" -> don't distract me with small things like this. Keep me focused on what you are giving me.

- Your page looks like some crazy puzzle of words on a mobile browser. More traffic is coming from mobile these days, so fix that asap.

- Get rid of the homepage link at the bottom. You want me to do only 1 thing and that is give my e-mail. Don't give me the option of not having to do that. Also get rid of that "powered by" link at the bottom, it makes you look like an amateur.

- Rename your footer from "content copyright" to xzy corp etc etc. copyright. It gives you more authority.

Let's see what you come up with and then report back to us to see the new look.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Make it fit mobile devices; break it up into a headline and sub headline; add product image or video content; add social media sharing and links, describe key benefits and features with short simple statements; use bullet points; add an effective call to action with a form field to collect emails or a big F*cking button.

ABBREVIATED TRAINING
FOR THE BUSY ATHLETE

(add product image or video content here)

Facebook | Twitter | Blog

Tap the power of simple workouts.
Quickly increase level of fitness.
Finish workouts more energized.
Tailor to fit your fitness goals.
-> Improved Cardio
-> Increased Strength,
-> More Muscle Mass
-> Better Conditioning

Form field to collect email, or
Big F*cking button [--SIGN UP NOW--] or [--CLICK HERE NOW--]
For Free Ebook and newsletter

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
If I am already at your squeeze page, don't make me have to go to another page and then sign-up to your newsletter. Make it easy for me to sign-up right away.

All great advice from everyone, thank you! To answer your question, I tried to put the email web form on the same page, but godaddy gave me a lot of trouble about doing so. As a quick fix, I linked to the web form from the squeeze page. Do you know of another software/web tool I could use that would make it easier?
How would a person get to your page?

Would they already know about you and what they are going to that page for?

I will be trying marketing tactics such as youtube videos, ebay classified ads, eventually PPC (though I need to start generating some income before I do that, and partnering with other blogs, forums, websites, etc.

However, if you have other recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.
Maybe say something like "How I Cut My Training From 2 Hours A Day To 20 Minutes A Week And Got Stronger, Faster, Leaner, And More Energetic, And Here's How You Can Too."

Good luck! And hope you're having fun

Thanks for the advice. I may very well use that.
Fun? Yea, but frustrating as well.

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
You should make your primary point of interest (FOR ME) impossible to miss (i.e. centered in quotes and red text above the fold)

Also, could you show me an example of that? Thanks again.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Also, could you show me an example of that? Thanks again.

eben.jpg

Guess what the conversion on this was? Look at how this page is geared toward the customer.

Are you using wordpress? How did you make your page? HTML?

Ideally you should make your own, but you could just get some templates up (google them) or if you have $100 there is a wordpress theme designed solely for making squeeze pages(but you shouldn't waste money if you aren't making any imo)

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Are you using wordpress? How did you make your page? HTML?

No, I used godaddy website builder, probably a stupid mistake. It was HTML, I believe.

I think I'll just end up making my own.

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
View attachment 3837

Guess what the conversion on this was? Look at how this page is geared toward the customer.

Great example.

Keep in mind that this worked like 3-5 years ago.

It probably still works now.

My guess is not quite as well.

If you've noticed, Eben Pagan has seemed to ditch that style of landing page for others recently.

Here's an example, it's "closed" already, but it looked similar when it was "open."

GURU Product Blueprints

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
Ideally you should make your own, but you could just get some templates up (google them) or if you have $100 there is a wordpress theme designed solely for making squeeze pages(but you shouldn't waste money if you aren't making any imo)

He doesn't even need to pay. LaunchEffect theme for Wordpress is a free theme.

Just need hosting, I'd highly recommend moving from GoDaddy anyway.

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
I also used aweber as a hosting site for my email form. Does anyone know any other, possibly better, hosting sites? Thanks.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Just one persons opinion looking at is as a consumer.

As soon as I see a squeeze page that looks like the ones above I don't read anything and close the site. To me they scream SCAM! It looks like every squeeze page from warrior forum that took people's money and never delivered what they promised.

Who is your target market? How old are they? What do they do for fun? Do they live alone, live with their parents? Single, married, divorced.

If you can look at your squeeze page through their eyes you may see what you need to do. Just because every other squeeze page follows that format does NOT mean you should.

Do NOT try to be the same. Do NOT just copy what others are doing. It is an old and used up squeeze page. Do NEW things. Think what YOU would like to see. Do you REALLY want to be yelled at

JOIN MY LIST!!!!!!!!!
JOIN MY LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or would you rather see a page, get a few quick but VERY useful ideas and then be told something like Hey if you want more ideas, more info like this I am happy to send you an entire paper/video/podcast for free. In fact I will deliver it right to your email so you don't even have to click a link if you don't want to.

Which one would YOU be more willing to give your email addy to? What about your gf, or your parents? Would they be more likely to sign up(opt in)?

I will be doing a blog post on squeeze pages in 2 weeks. Link in my sig.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I have found one method works unbelievebale.... ask people questions based off of their needs.... once you gather it say ok, now we have what we need to help, and literally just send them to a page asking for email and tell them whatever they wanted a sample is coming.

See most people ask for email first and think thats smart.. ive taken the risk and reversed it, i honestly dont know why and how it could work the other way around...

have you ever clicked on PPC and saw questions in order to help you NOT WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

If you do it right, you look more legit to everyone IMO, i duno it works crazy good for me. Why the hell would i give you my email address out of nowhere im just going to be a higher bounce rate for you. YOU give me something or intrigue me first.

Even lets say a dating site like match.com....... it may say search now, you click search and it asks you 4 questions.... ill answer them if its going to let me check it out real quick but if they ask for email first im out...

So now lets say they just ask the questions and i say i want local, black hair, etc then it displays 40 girls all with black hair but blurs the page and i cant click, now a a pop up box displays over and says enter your email to unlock this and get tips on how to communicate bette with girls who are local, have black hair and etc... i will feel as if i did work and i already saw the girls...and they are going to tell me how to be more successful with the exact things i answered ? ill give you the email.

I mean cant we all just say alot of this stuff is common sense, we over think it too much, obviously the more you entice me first the better chance i will give you my info how anyone puts up a splash page and gets people to give them their email.... good for them, who knows though, do they convert well once they get those emails? Id rather have 10 emails of people in buying mode than 100 people i tricked so i can spam them and not be able to pay my bills at the end of the month.
GOD, sometimes i even impress myself.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
see a page, get a few quick but VERY useful ideas and then be told something like Hey if you want more ideas, more info like this I am happy to send you an entire paper/video/podcast for free. In fact I will deliver it right to your email so you don't even have to click a link if you don't want to.

Which one would YOU be more willing to give your email addy to? What about your gf, or your parents? Would they be more likely to sign up(opt in)?

I will be doing a blog post on squeeze pages in 2 weeks. Link in my sig.

As a consumer, I agree completely. Most squeeze pages make me click away as fast as I can. But there ARE some that entice me to give up my email address, and you've described them pretty accurately. I'll be looking forward to your blog post.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Patrick you bring up valid points, but the example that was shown, wasn't posted for him to copy and paste.

He asked for an example of A red heading and I showed him one that was converting at 70% 2 years ago. (Sure he has changed some things around now)

The point is that opt-in is still targeting the visitor.

I agree that this style has been over-used now and a lot of us would be turned of by it. However, it is also important to remember that we may not be the target audience that the opt-in is attracting.

btw, I wanted to check out your blog, but there is no link in your sig?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for explaining man!

Sure thing here you go.

Blog - Michael Plante

I am thinking maybe you have your forum viewing set to see no sigs?

Do you see TheBiz' signature up above?

C

Czech

I didn't want to start a new thread, so here it goes. I have a growing subscriber list for 2 of my websites. However, these subscribers are not converting into sales. (Yet!)

Any tips?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Are you sure your target market want/have a need for what you are selling?

C

Czech

I'm promoting an online money making software to people who are interested in internet marketing because they don't have a formal education.

I'm confident in the affiliate sales video. However, now I'm starting to second-guess myself.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I would ask your list what they want.

It really can be amazing how helpful they can be IF you have a relationship with them from interacting with them, giving them free things and basically being there day in and day out to help them.

Have you sent them an email of any of the following and if so how often?

• A link to GREAT article that has nothing to do with you or asking them for money?
  • A blog cast you made which details how you have gotten results with a particular system you created?
  • A link to a youtube video you made showing yourself on the computer doing the things you plan on teaching them how to do?
  • An invitation to ask you questions they need answered?
  • An invitation to 'like' you on fb with an offer to give something to one of them who are selected by random?

If not I would HIGHLY recommend doing the above.

C

Czech

Would you mind reviewing my site? You don't have to subscribe. I will write my follow-ups here.

Website is

www dot makemoneywithouteducation dot com

Follow-Up 1:

Hey!

Thanks for watching my video. As a special "thank you" for watching all the
way through, I'm giving you my eBook "10 Steps To Starting Your Online
Business." It's guaranteed to help you get on your way to making your first
$100 online.

http://www.mixedmartialartsmarketers.com/10stepstostartingyouronlinebusiness.pdf

As promised, here is your next video that will teach you everything you
need to know about generating passive income online.

Free Video Presentation

See you on the inside,

Adrian "The Mixed Martial Arts Marketer"

Follow-Up 2:

Hey guys--

Here's a Killer Home Business Tip for you. Many people struggle on the
first step to building their online business.... Finding a niche. So why
not pay someone else to find it for you?

Spencer_ will do keyword research for your niche or business for $5, only on fiverr.com

For $5 you can have someone else do all the dirty work!

SPECIAL OFFER

Just for today, if you purchase the Mobile Monopoly software I will send
you a second e-Marketing program 100% free! Mobile Monopoly is rated the #2
program on the Internet right now for making money online. You *have* to
check it out.

Free Video Presentation

Once you've purchased the program, reply to this email with your Clickbank
receipt and I will email you the second program absolutely free.

See you on the inside,

Adrian "The Martial Arts Marketer"

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
The page is super basic. Why not use a service like LaunchRock and get a nice "Coming Soon Page" instantly and free? And with that you can incorporate all the tips that others have posted. I also blogged about a little on how to grow your list:

How to Get Your First 100 Signups on Your Coming Soon Page

I've been mulling over this post and came up with an idea.

What if, instead of following the more "mainstream" route of focusing primarily on my email list as a means to building my audience for future products, I use the coming soon page as a squeeze page in itself to build an audience for an upcoming book I plan on releasing soon?

I offer free content, newsletters and the ebook, in the meantime, but gain traffic as well for my future release, maybe even offering a discount on the book if the visitor shares my page with others...hmmmm

With that said, doesn't a coming soon page serve the same purpose as a squeeze page?

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
What if, instead of following the more "mainstream" route of focusing primarily on my email list as a means to building my audience for future products, I use the coming soon page as a squeeze page in itself to build an audience for an upcoming book I plan on releasing soon?

I offer free content, newsletters and the ebook, in the meantime, but gain traffic as well for my future release, maybe even offering a discount on the book if the visitor shares my page with others...hmmmm

Yes!! Free interim materials plus the anticipation of some future release is far, far more attractive than "give me your email for a free ebook". I don't know if your product offering is the right fit for LaunchRock, at least not the way it is above, but take a look at some of the startups at their site to get good ideas on how to build a modern landing/squeez page for your product(s).

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Also get rid of that "powered by" link at the bottom, it makes you look like an amateur.

What if you are not able to delete that foot note?

Some sites have it embedded on to the page so it cannot be touched.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Self hosted web pages generally look more professional, but you got to work with what you have or what you're familiar with. Don't let that "Powered by" button stop you from developing your landing page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.