The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spot the Hole In This Advice

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
Apologies HERE IS THE ARTICLE PASTED

“YOU need $1 million in retirement”, say most financial planners.

“Two million dollars might not even be enough”, wrote a financial planner in the newspaper recently.

Stop!

If you’re approaching your retirement these figures will likely scare the super out of you!

Alright, so here’s the truth: only around 1 per cent of Aussies have a million dollars (or more) in super.

True dinks.

The normal Aussie has around $200K in super when they retire.

But is it enough? Well, this is what I’m going to look at.

Even better, I’m going to share with you something I call the Donald Bradman Strategy, which will show you how to retire comfortably with much less than the magic million bucks.

I call it this because with this strategy, you can be like Don Bradman — still at the crease when you’re 100, not out!

da71b5e8d419e72a331bdb761dc772f9

Sir Donald Bradman at the crease, probably hitting a 100 not out. Picture: AFP/Torsten Blackwood
HOW MUCH DOUGH DOES A COMFORTABLE RETIREMENT COST?

According to the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia it costs:

■ $59,000 a year for couples.

■ $43,000 a year for singles.

What sort of lifestyle does that buy you?

Think Kath or Kim.

A near-new Toyota Corolla. A nice three-week holiday to the beach each year. A tipple (or two) each night. Dining out at decent restaurants. Regularly going to the movies (hello pensioner discount). Owning a poodle.

Now, here are my three rules for how you can achieve your own comfortable retirement.

7350d4b93db5ca4ba59276b2660ff7ac

Your retirement lifestyle would be similar to Kath and Kim’s — you could even probably own two poodles.
RULE 1: YOU MUST HAVE THE BANKER OFF YOUR BACK

The Donald Bradman Strategy only works if you retire debt free … as in no mortgage.

The other day I was interviewed by a seniors magazine, and I was asked what advice I had for the increasing number of people who retire with debts.

Barefoot: “Easy. If you have debt, you can’t retire.”

Interviewer: “But that just doesn’t sound … fair.”

Barefoot: “I didn’t say it was.”

RULE 2: KNOW YOUR NUMBER

At a minimum, you need a paid-off home plus: Couples: $250,000 in super, singles: $170,000 in super.

This is your ‘retirement number’. To be clear, this is the number you need to nail before you even think about retiring — and that’s in addition to owning your own home outright.

At this point you might be thinking, “Does this plan of yours involve me holding up convenience stores with cricket bats? Because I can’t see how my $250,000 will afford us a $59,000 per year lifestyle”.

Don’t worry, I’ll get to it.

But for right now just remember you can’t retire until you’ve nailed your retirement number as a minimum (more money is better) — $250,000 in super for couples and $170,000 for singles.

This will earn you $12,500 (or $8500) a year. Hang on, what’s so special about these numbers?

This is the maximum dollar amount of assets (excluding your family home) that you can have and still get close to the maximum rate of Age Pension. The maximum rate is $34,382.40 per year for couples and $22,804.60 for singles. So it will get you 60 per cent of the way towards your comfortable ‘retirement number’ on its own.

Think of the pension as your safety net. It’s guaranteed by the Government, it’s indexed twice a year to keep up with inflation, and it will be paid until the day you die.

eeeff414e4bad8a68ce995763066a475

The Donald Bradman Strategy only works if you retire debt free … as in no mortgage.
RULE 3: NEVER, EVER RETIRE

It is said that the two most dangerous years of your life are the year you’re born and the year you retire.

Well, it looks like you made it through the first one, so let’s talk about the second.

The golden rule of retirement is … keep working.

Once you reach pension age, you’ll not only be able to draw a tax-free pension from your super, but in addition a couple can earn up to $28,974 each without paying a cent of income tax (singles can earn $32,279 per year).

Even better, the Government has a ‘work bonus’ that allows pensioners to earn $6500 each without it affecting their pension payments. Okay, so now let’s take a look at the retirement scoreboard after you’ve applied all three rules.

1. You’ve paid off your home.

2. You’re getting the Age Pension of $34,382.40 (per couple) per year, indexed for life. And you’ve got $250,000 in super earning you $12,500 per year.

3. You and your partner each work just one day a week (and not every week) to bring in a combined $20,000 a year, completely tax free.

3e630ac02a910c67ee72a6ab0c353b84

How good is it to be not paying tax?
This will not only get you there — it’s almost $7,800 more than you need for a comfortable retirement!

And if you invest that into good quality shares, you’ll have enough money to eventually stop working part time, and you’ll never run out of money again.

In other words, as I’ve already said, you’ll be like ‘The Don’ — 100 and not out.

Ker-ching!

Blatant plug: I outline the Donald Bradman Strategy in much greater detail in my brand-new book, The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You’ll Ever Need, available in all good bookstores and online.

Tread Your Own Path!

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
This looks oddly familiar... did the blogger of Barefoot Writer wrote this article?

The last point got me rolling on the floor.

Looks like the only time I can splurge my money is buying a golden tombstone for my ocean-view grave.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
They suggest you and your partner work 1 day a week and get 20k a year. That's $400 a week for 2 days work per week.

Yes employers are lining up to employ "over 65's" one day a week and pay them $25 an hour for the privilege.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This strategy is too defensive..and very selfish.
Nowhere did I see anything that said OFFER VALUE.
If you offer value, the market WILL pay you HANDSOMELY for it. Better still, once the Fastlane mechanisms kick in, you can go on the offensive. And offensive means acquiring wealth EXPLOSIVELY.

You'll be shooting past folks in their 30s and 40s who still wait for their next job promotion.

.....and let's say retirement won't be a problem. In fact, you won't have have to retire OLD.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.