The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Southeastern Asia

G

GuestUser156

I have decided to travel to Southeastern Asia in the fall of 2014 to work online for a month or two.
I thought of going to a startup camp there, but then I had the great idea of meeting up only with people from the forum instead.

So, I hereby invite you.
Let's see if we are actually enough people interested in making this happen ...

We will find the cheapest place to stay, where lunch costs around a dollar, the beaches are whiter than snow, the weather is nice and life is good.

We will be working and exploring the beauty of Southeastern Asia together!

If you are interested, reply in the thread or send me a PM.

I'll leave you with this video from Indonesia.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I basically just pitched this in my B&P presentation hehe. I'm leaning towards Kep as a super-cheap spot on the beach. I'm heading over in December, though I'm planning to settle in for a year. I don't think going over for a month would be that useful, at least for me. That's more like a vacation. Consider that when moving to a new place, especially one that's very different from what you're used to, it will take some time to get everything set up and get into a productive routine. But ya, I'm definitely down for setting up the fastlane villa!

thewsi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 5, 2012
I have decided to travel to Southeastern Asia in the fall of 2014 to work online for a month or two.
I thought of going to a startup camp there, but then I had the great idea of meeting up only with people from the forum instead.

So, I hereby invite you.
Let's see if we are actually enough people interested in making this happen ...

We will find the cheapest place to stay, where lunch costs around a dollar, the beaches are whiter than snow, the weather is nice and life is good.

We will be working and exploring the beauty of Southeastern Asia together!

If you are interested, reply in the thread or send me a PM.

I'll leave you with this video from Indonesia.
sure - I am down in Singapore.

G

GuestUser156

I basically just pitched this in my B&P presentation hehe. I'm leaning towards Kep as a super-cheap spot on the beach. I'm heading over in December, though I'm planning to settle in for a year. I don't think going over for a month would be that useful, at least for me. That's more like a vacation. Consider that when moving to a new place, especially one that's very different from what you're used to, it will take some time to get everything set up and get into a productive routine. But ya, I'm definitely down for setting up the fastlane villa!
Sounds good!
I will not be able to stay for that long because I have family, friends and a girlfriend I want to be with at home.
Would be nice to meet up anyway. I'll try to set up some kind of group-chat in a few weeks for everyone to talk.

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
I'm leaning towards Kep as a super-cheap spot on the beach.
I hate to burst your bubble...but Kep is seriously boring.
I lasted 3 days (and that was only thanks to their pepper crab). That sort of boredom can be fatal.
And by "boring" - I don't mean it's lacking a party-party scene. There's just a dearth of things to do. Like, anything to do. Even sit-in-a-lovely-hammock-and-read kind of things to do.
Kampot, on the other hand, is quite lovely and only half an hour or so away.
But of all the places I've checked out - and attempted to live in - in SE Asia, Bali takes the cake. If you're planning on living somewhere for a year, it's worth checking out :)

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I hate to burst your bubble...but Kep is seriously boring.
I lasted 3 days (and that was only thanks to their pepper crab). That sort of boredom can be fatal.
And by "boring" - I don't mean it's lacking a party-party scene. There's just a dearth of things to do. Like, anything to do. Even sit-in-a-lovely-hammock-and-read kind of things to do.
Kampot, on the other hand, is quite lovely and only half an hour or so away.
But of all the places I've checked out - and attempted to live in - in SE Asia, Bali takes the cake. If you're planning on living somewhere for a year, it's worth checking out :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm still really flexible about where I end up, but to be honest, boring is sort of what I'm looking for hehe. I want to pretty much wake up, go for a run/swim, then get to work! :) I thought that a place a bit smaller than Sihanoukville would be more peaceful, but apart from that, I haven't done enough research to really know the difference between the spots.

Also, Bali does sound interesting, but it sounds like the visa process is more annoying. it's probably something that you could learn to deal with, but compared to just showing up and being set for a year, almost anything sounds like a lot of trouble. Of course, if it were a shorter stay, that wouldn't matter.

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
boring is sort of what I'm looking for hehe
Be careful what you wish for :)
I do get what you mean, 'though - relaxation is lovely. And for all of Kep's faults, it is better than Sihanoukville :)
Does Cambodia have a better visa structure? How long can you stay without having to leave the country for a visa re-newal?
For Bali, you can stay 2 months and then you have to fly off to Singapore (or elsewhere). I can see this getting annoying after awhile, but for now, I welcome the occasional shopping that a trip to Singapore has to offer :)
Keep us posted on how Kep works out. The thought of living there for a year is equated to purgatory for me, but I'd love to have a second opinion!

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I may be interested so please keep me posted. Have you considered Thailand? Also what startup camp were you referring to. It may be a good idea to find expats who are currently there already

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Be careful what you wish for :)
I do get what you mean, 'though - relaxation is lovely. And for all of Kep's faults, it is better than Sihanoukville :)

Hehe, ya, I was basically just looking for a place on the beach somewhat more low-key than Sihanoukville. Maybe Kampot is a better choice than Kep. It's a bit hard to find info on the smaller places, even on the Khmer forums. Any insight on how the infrastructure is in either of those places? I understand that there can be issues and you probably need to have mobile internet dongles and maybe generators for backups hehe.

Does Cambodia have a better visa structure? How long can you stay without having to leave the country for a visa re-newal?

As I understand, you can just show up and buy a 1 year business visa for like $300 with basically no other requirements.

I may be interested so please keep me posted. Have you considered Thailand?

Ya, if it wasn't for the visa runs, I'd probably go to Chiang Mai, though that sort of kills the morning run/swim at the beach hehe. It seems to be sort of a hub for digital nomads.

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
It's a bit hard to find info on the smaller places, even on the Khmer forums.
Yea, Cambodia's still very off the grid :) There is a pretty stable expat community in Kampot and it's really easy to find/meet them once you're there. Tons of retirees. And a younger crowd there to set up local businesses like guesthouses. I did not meet or hear of any digital nomads living there, though.
Internet was not too bad in either Kep or Kampot, but there is a real dearth of awesome cafes to work in.

Ya, if it wasn't for the visa runs, I'd probably go to Chiang Mai
Yea, Chiang Mai does seem to be a hot spot for digital nomads. I gave it a few months but there was just no chemistry. Visa runs aren't TOOO bad, though...a multi-hour bus ride up to Myanmar and back is all it takes. It eats up an entire day, but you can always bring a good book :)

StevenFlecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 25, 2013
Location Idependent
Hey Guys,

Just got pointed to this thread from https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...nal-location-independent-entrepreneurs.51389/
And I'm looking for exactly this so please include me as well.

Also this might be an interesting starting point:
http://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/12/01/top-5-best-cities-live-bootstrapping-young-entrepreneur/

I'm looking to go somewhere for a longer time as well.. min 3 months but def up to a year or more

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Koh Samui, Thailand here - if you make it here i'm up for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.