The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

sole concern with outsourcing

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Outsourcing is pretty much the way I'm going to go to get my product designed and ready for distribution, it's quick and, if all goes well, I'll have it out to the public sooner than later. However, one thought remains: outsourcing seems take out the "experimental" quality of start up. It gives you less of an opportunity to experiment with potential customers (i.e. the lean start up approach as per Ries) and creates more of a hit-or-miss scenario - you hire someone to develop it for you and hope for the best once it's out in public. Unless you have the funds available to keep a developer long enough to continue to refine the product according to customer's needs (which doesn't seem so "lean" in the start up stage), this seems to be the predominant situation when outsourcing. Thoughts?

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
What prevents you from going back to the same developer with version 1.1 specs, then 1.2? That is the great part of outsourcing you don't pay them when you don't need them.

verial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 8, 2012
Taipei
Commandment of Control.

You need to find an outsourcer you can control.

damien275x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 18, 2011
Which is why you talk to as many people as you can and get the specifications as detailed, accurate, and relevant as you possibly can. Also factor in possible changes, and what the future holds. Starting on a solid foundation is critical, if you don't do that, you're going to have big problems in the future, whether you have $50 to spend or $50,000. Be thorough, do all the ground work now.

What you are proposing to do is what we're all guilty of - do all the fun, exciting stuff first. That should be last. It's the same thing as messing around with the font, border, and theme of a word document with a blank essay that hasn't been written yet. Do the groundwork first. If you're going to outsource it make sure you put it into clear English, do not use slang, and be as literal as possible. I like to paraphrase every request x3 so that the overseas developer correctly understands what I am asking. Assume nothing, and no, a developer does not find it patronizing to receive clear instructions. They will thank you for it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.