The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Social Media Site Idea

Idea threads

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I was inspired by a friend of mine about a social media website that would be pretty interesting to create. I don't know how to explain it without giving away too much, but basically it is an Experience the World social site.

I am thinking ways of revenue could be:

1- Free users view the content, create adventure lists so-to-speak (playlist of ideas), and all sorts of other things and can post ideas, trips, etc.
BUT
businesses can post things like "Travel to the Alps, try a skiing adventure, blah blah". Businesses posting this content would either have to sign up for a business account, with a monthly fee, or companies would have to inquire to post.

2- The home page would have a weekly featured ad for a company that would pay for this space, like a video of an advertisement of a Venice boat touring company, etc. OR a cool background where you can highlight with your mouse, a picture and click on it and it brings you to that page, which will be a companies page.

3-Limited small ads.

How would I go about developing this, I have good knowledge on Wix, is it too early to even think about hiring a developer?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you. -Tyrel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I've heard through many sources that social media is a dying trend. It's like trying to start the next big dating site... Personally, I would not invest my time into a social media site, but would possibly do another online venture with a social aspect to it.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I've heard through many sources that social media is a dying trend. It's like trying to start the next big dating site... Personally, I would not invest my time into a social media site, but would possibly do another online venture with a social aspect to it.

Not disagreeing or agreeing, just an observation:
I feel like the entire internet has gone social. I remember when my father turned on prodigy internet for the first time on a Packard Bell. It took about 10 minutes to dial up, and the only thing that he could do was check the weather. I was pissed. I sat there for all of that time to see my dad check the weather, I could have been playing math dodger or some old retro computer game! I think I was like 10 at the time haha.

But damn, he knew what he was doing. Look how fast the web developed. The entire thing is social. It's easier than ever to make a site social. This could be as simple as integrating a FB comment box on your site, or building an online community for your users/buyers. I know a kid who's farther is in the car repair business. He is thinking of starting a social community for his clients! It's amazing what you can do today.

Is it a dying trend? I don't think so. We are social creatures, this stuff will always be around. The problem is that most people don't go about it the right way. They want to build this next FB or Twitter. It just doesn't happen that night.

I was inspired by a friend of mine about a social media website that would be pretty interesting to create. I don't know how to explain it without giving away too much, but basically it is an Experience the World social site.

My advice - It's not easy. Nothing in life is. I spend my every waking minute thinking about my users. I am constantly thinking about what they are thinking. I'm always thinking about new features that I need to add. How I need to make money. Partnerships I need to create. The list goes on. Here's the truth - you aren't going to build a perfect social network from the start. You need to release something and get it rolling then move fast to make it better. If you are a perfectionist like me, then this might kill you. I obsess over little things like a button that's out of place or cross-browser compatibility, or why my recent user did not put up a pic, or why my recent user did not follow all of the way through the sign-up process.

It's hard work. But I love every second of it.

And if you are the shy hide in the back of the crowd type, then think twice. I believe that you actually have to meet people to make it work, or at least put yourself out there. I'm about to start a huge internship program today, which should drive a ton of traffic and users to the site over the next couple of months. So just be prepared to work your a$$ off. Or sit around and wait 10 years for SEO to kick in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.