The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SMASHED my laptop in a meeting via loosing my shit

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
2017 was a good year. Kicked some rat race goals. Worked for a great mentor, a real entrepreneur... but the always in the back of my mind, Im the work horse building someone else's dream. I have 9 years experience in real estate sale, and worked my way up a the acquisitions director for a real estate investment company. A stressful, unfulfilling, high pressured roll that paid well.
Well, one day I was out riding a dirt bike with my mate/mentor/boss (im 30 and he is 47). We get a long great, and he is like an older brother. ANWAY, I go over a small jump and come off and F*ck my knee. I need a full blown knee reconstruction. I go back to work 2 days later (coz Im so tough) and then an op 2 weeks later. I walk out 2 days later in a moon boot, new ACL and stitched together meniscus. Afer a few more days of being SUPER HIGH, I decide to go to work. After 3 weeks of being foggy headed I decide to stop taking the Oxi and Endone and straiten up. big mistake. I now know what junkies go through with solid withdrawals. No one said to come off this stuff slowly... getting 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night for a week, tight chest at night, pain, then work is already stressful AF, and I am starting to make mistake.. Wayne (boss) is like - the F*ck is wrong with you mate? your not the same, why are you so unhappy, he asks in our weekly meeting, to which I replied RAHHH BLA BLA SMASH! no idea what I said but I remember climaxing over the F*cking stupid spreadsheets that take up so much of my time when I should be spending more time negotiating and making deals happen.plus my attention to details is not my strength.

After smashing my laptop, I noticed Wayne didnt flinch. He used to be in the South African special forces, he closes his laptop and walks out of the meeting room, comes back and we talk - "take a week of, F*ck it take 2, or if you want to travel for a month.. what ever you want mate. you can come back after you are refreshed... we can change things here, look you will never have to do this shit again, you can do a different roll" Pretty amazing response hey. F*cking amazing guy. someone who really cares and has my back.

I write this sitting in Medellin Colombia after having decided "F*ck it! why not 3 months, or more! I dont even have to come back. Wayne supported this and said its a once in a life time opportunity. And so its been 1 month in the UK, 3 months working in a hostel in Belgium where I fell in love with a beautiful Brazilian and traveled Europe with before we said our goodbyes and made our separate ways to South America. My dream was always Colombia, and So I have been living in Medellin where it is always 28 degrees. The city of eternal spring. I have traveled a lot and made some great friends. I wanted a challenge, learn a new language and try to survive in a new country and experience living somewhere else. Ticked all boxes.
Also I bought myself a video camera and equipment in Europe, and decided I was going to be a videographer, and have been making a couple bucks here and there doing that.

My game plan now, go home, stack paper, invest in my eCommerce business and develop that into something manageable and mobile, so I can still travel. I will go home, maybe sell a property or 2, make real estate videos for property sales and generate and income this way, then use that to invest. This time I'm working on my dream.

Its been a F*cking AMAZING journey. Full of adventure, love, heartbreak, friends, challenges, learning, and I dont want this ride to stop. Thats why Im here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend! Great to have you. I hear a lot of great stuff about Medellin, sounds like the new Bali or Thailand for digital nomads.

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
Welcome my friend! Great to have you. I hear a lot of great stuff about Medellin, sounds like the new Bali or Thailand for digital nomads.

Cheers. Yeah man its an up and coming 2nd world developing country and specifically in Medellin its on the rise. comercial and real estate have been growing for the last 5 years. Probs not the best time to buy right now, but there are a shit load of opportunities

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Welcome dude!
I do understand what do you mean, and watch out for Medellin, it might steal your hearth ;-)

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
RE ANYONE THINKING ABOUT MEDELLIN
Its a happening place. Loads of opportunities to innovate across all industries and dominate your niche or service. for example here a lot of websites look like they are from the 90s or 2000s. Its super cheap to live... bu tthe BEST thing about this place is the people. They are so incredibly helpful and warm and friendly. I have fallen in love with them, and it really saddens me not to think i;m going home. They are F*ckING BEAUTIFUL!!! similar to the Vietnamese... are also gorgeous people. And I am never talking about looks, as thats a forgone concussion.

Im renting with Colombians learning Spanish - paying 450.000cop per month - 162USD per/m. In a nice enough area close to train shops, restaurants. I think its safe, but Im not a target either. Some areas aren't the best to walk down 12am drunk af. But I can say that about Australia in some of Sydney street... go figure. Easy to avoid.

It has been hard here as a videographer with no rep. Networking is the way to go here and it doesn't take long, as they are not so conservative.
Travel one side of the city to the other on the metro for 1.30 I think.
Food is 3-4 for a nice starter of chicken soup and then a big meal with meat, rice, salad, nice bean sauce stuff, something else and a drink. Will fill you up. They really only eat one big meal a day here - lunch. Thats why they arent big and fat - despite the Colombian standard of fast food they snack on.

Definitely worth having a look. Colombians travel to Medellin on the holidays and also head out to the little towns out side the city because its such a beautiful place. Its in the Andes Mountains!

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
Welcome dude!
I do understand what do you mean, and watch out for Medellin, it might steal your hearth ;-)
Gracias amigo
Oh it totally did man. its just incredible! I want to come back. Ideally I would like to live here for a year or 2, but need to make that happen via another business model.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015

Holy crap, I've been gone for a few months and everything changes. Where'd Gene Wilder go??

OP: I'm seriously ready to pull chocks after 10 years in the Navy, I'm a glorified desk jockey, and I've got serious digital nomad envy. The end is in sight, just don't know when my actual last day is gonna be. $50k severance too. :)

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Gracias amigo
Oh it totally did man. its just incredible! I want to come back. Ideally I would like to live here for a year or 2, but need to make that happen via another business model.

Work hard man, I'm just back from Nicaragua (yes, Medellin now is a little bit too much "i'm a digital nomad" friendly) and I'm ultra motivated to make it happen.

Work hard, dream, rest, repeat :)

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
Holy crap, I've been gone for a few months and everything changes. Where'd Gene Wilder go??

OP: I'm seriously ready to pull chocks after 10 years in the Navy, I'm a glorified desk jockey, and I've got serious digital nomad envy. The end is in sight, just don't know when my actual last day is gonna be. $50k severance too. :)
yeah F*ck that shit off bro asap. same old shit hunching over a computer F*cking up your posture.. better doing doing that damage for your own benefit. Map out an action plan to execute. This is what I did, and am doing for the next venture with eCommerce. Map out all the tools, the steps, time frame, and your quit date for the navy. When you know what you have to action and what your targets/stepping stones are you will know how much the venture will cost you and how much kitty you will need in the bank to bankroll this thing. food for thought

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I actually have a standing desk at home, but that defeats the whole "nomad" thing...

Bigger picture, I know my biggest weakness is shiny object syndrome. Web dev, photography, EDM production, RC airplanes/quads, etc. etc. etc...

Between severance and other stuff I've saved up, I could live for 2-3 years without a paycheck even with the 2 years of child support I'm still on the hook for. Just waiting for separation orders now.

Jesse Dean

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 23, 2018
Australia
I actually have a standing desk at home, but that defeats the whole "nomad" thing...

Bigger picture, I know my biggest weakness is shiny object syndrome. Web dev, photography, EDM production, RC airplanes/quads, etc. etc. etc...

Between severance and other stuff I've saved up, I could live for 2-3 years without a paycheck even with the 2 years of child support I'm still on the hook for. Just waiting for separation orders now.
HAHAH yeah a standing desk is not so nomadic.
Sounds like you are all set mate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...